New Kitten Won't Come Out Of Hiding- Just Looking For Reassurance!

momo17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

We brought our new kitten home last night. She's 12 weeks old and so cute, but I'm worried we made some mistakes.

We brought her home in the carrier and opened the door in the lounge. The carrier has a blanket from her old home and some of her favorite toys in it. She stayed huddled at the back of the carrier and then eventually left it, only to hide under a nearby bar cart. I didn't want to move her after that so have mostly just left her be, I've made sure her litterbox is close by and her food and water bowls are in her range of sight. Later in the evening she came out to use the litterbox, had a little nibble on some food and had a little sniff around the immediate area, before returning to her hiding spot. She came out once more and then wouldn't again.

She sometimes hisses at me if I peer in at her but sometimes doesn't seem to mind.

I went to bed and barely got any sleep as she mewed all night and I felt so bad. Eventually I came out and slept in the lounge which seemed to make it a little better.

This morning she hasn't ventured out from underneath the cart and I'm wondering what I should do.

Everything I've read suggests keeping her in a secure room but as our flat is relatively small and there's just the two of us, I thought it shouldn't be too overwhelming. Is it too late to move her to the spare room? Should I just wait it out?

Thanks so much for any advice or reassurance you can offer! I'm trying to be patient but I worry that I've made a mistake and she won't trust me now...

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point, wait it out. Sleeping in there -- i.e. being quiet near the kitten -- was the best thing you could have done, letting the kitten get used to you. Tomorrow just go about life near the kitten - but relatively quietly without sudden movements. You can try to lure out with toys and toss treats ever closer to you. You can get down on kitten's level (not too close). But mostly just be patient.

The major advantage of a safe room is that its safe...the kitten won't hide behind the washing machine or whatever. Also keeps the kitten from accidentally hiding somewhere in the house that is noisy. If the apartment is kitten proof it is not such a big deal...many people deal with this. It might take up to a week or even a bit more, but a couple days would be much more likely.

Don't be grabby. Let the kitten be the boss of what you do together.

Sounds to me like you have good instincts and this will be fine. Ask any needed questions, but as requested, sending reassurance your way.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s literally only been one day, you have NOTHING to worry about :). It could take up to a few weeks for her to be comfy, but since she is a kitten it will probably be only a day or two.

Check out this thread from Wednesday, they had the same concerns as you and they are already warming up:

New Cat Hiding Under The Bed.

Follow the advice there and you’re golden.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Cats are resilient - I don't think you've made any mistakes, and certainly none that won't resolve themselves :)

Try a couple of things - try a ticking clock (if it's too loud you can muffle it with a small towel wrapped around it), or a heartbeat toy near to her overnight.

Also try some music, classical harp music, or George handel compositions can help cats and kittens relax.

And mostly, as mentioned just be patient. This little life is with you now so you have all the time in the world. Although everything is really scary just now, it won't be long before confidence is restored and you'll have kitten antics happening LOL!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Read that other thread and give it some time. Sit on the floor fairly far away from her hiding spot and just talk - soft and sweet - about anything. If she comes out mostly ignore her and she should start warming up and getting brave. At that point see how she reacts to a wand toy but be ready to abandon that right away if she freaks out.

If she meows while your sleeping in the lounge, call out and talk to her. Also, I used to leave piles of treats around for my guy to find to make sure he was not just hiding.

You didn't say this, but make sure he is eating and peeing/pooping and you should be fine soon.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You've done nothing wrong so far. To get her to come out of hiding, using wand toys as duncanmac said is good, or, just tie a small piece of furled up paper or foil to your belt loops with a long piece of string. It will be a lure of sorts. She might not come up to you immediately, but if you're moving around, dragging this bizzaire toy along the floor then she might be tempted to follow you. when she does, drop a treat down to say hey this is good, you get good things from being outside your crate!

Talk to her, gently, and keep talking to your partner in normal tones, she will become more confident eventually and you want her to be used to noises that she will hear in your environment normally, like talking and the tv. You will inevitably need to hoover and put the washing machine on at some point, don't be surprised if she retreats to her safe space during these events and takes a while to come out, that's natural.

Her hissing is actually a good sign she's saying "hey I'm scared don't come near me" so she's open to communication. At 12 weeks old, she's probably just reached adolescence, the point where her mother would drive her, and her littermates off, everything is new to her, and she isn't sure how to deal with it all and suddenly she doesn't have someone else to back her up and reassure her. keep your patience up and employ reward technique for behaviours you DO want and ignore behaviours you DON'T want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momo17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your guidance. She is still in her hiding spot but is looking a bit more relaxed (lazy eyes, slow blinking, drifting in and out of sleep). Hopefully this bodes well.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, cats, and especially kittens, are curious and come around to those who show little or no interest in them. It's probably because in the wild, an animal that shows too much interest in another animal either wants to mate with or eat that animal. Treat her like a roommate to start with. Her hiding spot is now her safe room. Please try to minimize how much you look in on her while she's hiding. She should feel safe there until she wants to expand her territory. If she feels hunted even in her hiding place, she's not going to want to come out. I like the idea of leaving treats out to reward her for being adventurous. I also like the suggestion that you spend time with her in the same room. But otherwise, aside from feeding and litterbox duties, try to give her the time and space to acclimate. She'll come around.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

momo17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Just to say thanks for the reassurance and advice!

I spent half an hour lying on the floor (close but not too close!) reading aloud in a gentle voice and played clair de lune on repeat haha, and she peeked her little head out and then slowly emerged.

She was sniffing around, a little unsure at first and then more confident. Eventually rubbing her head against my hand and accepting some pats and wanting to play. She's still a bit skittish but am feeling a lot more confident.

Thanks so much for the tips!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: Just to say thanks for the reassurance and advice!

I spent half an hour lying on the floor (close but not too close!) reading aloud in a gentle voice and played clair de lune on repeat haha, and she peeked her little head out and then slowly emerged.

She was sniffing around, a little unsure at first and then more confident. Eventually rubbing her head against my hand and accepting some pats and wanting to play. She's still a bit skittish but am feeling a lot more confident.

Thanks so much for the tips!
Aww that’s so sweet :)!

Don’t hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

Have fun with the adventure of learning all about your new little kitty!