New kitten won't come out of carrier(I've read the Sticky)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your responses. I figured it probably wasn't an instant fix. As far as his age, I don't know how far along his molars are. I just know he has all his back baby teeth, I counted them. He has this little tiny kitten meow though. I find it so ridiculous that Oksana is so scared of him:rolleyes:
He will rush her, and she will run and hide. She will try and rush him on occasion, and he just looks at her like PALEEESE...I'm not scared of you.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost forgot, after he gets in trouble for being aggressive towards her, he will run from me. He obviously knows he's done wrong. Last night he ran straight upstairs and peed in her catbox and not his.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Make the neuter appt sooner rather than later.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think some of the problem is you have decided who will be top cat, but that's not how things go. The cats must decide among themselves who it will be. All sounds very normal and not aggressive, I wouldn't be punishing him or even removing him unless they are out and out fighting.

Glad you've got his neutering booked, it may help depending on age.

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think some of the problem is you have decided who will be top cat, but that's not how things go. The cats must decide among themselves who it will be. All sounds very normal and not aggressive, I wouldn't be punishing him or even removing him unless they are out and out fighting.   Glad you've got his neutering booked, it may help depending on age.
Obviously, there are differences of opinion with regard to my situation. I do agree that I shouldn't punish him. Time-out, squirtguns, or whatever don't work. I also don't feel right about it. I took him upstairs after he rushed her a few times and there was no change (other than him running from me when after he does it :mad:)

So MM ur recommendation is that I A: Just turn him loose totally ad there has been no violence, or B: Just let them be cats while I continue to slowly introduce him more and more each day.

Sorry if I sound like such a noob, I've had cats all my life but I've never run into a situation such as this.

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Missy for the advice. I decided after your last post to just let them be cats until things start to get a little too aggressive (which isn't too often).

I am still keeping Leonidas (Leo) in his safe room but I can now let Oksana in there and let her sniff around. She is also doing a much better job sticking up for herself too since I got out of the way. She had Leo on the run last night and I couldn't help but cheer her on a little bit ;)

Suzie hasn't had any luck locating Leonidas' papers or vet records after her move. I'm really pissed. To be completely honest, I could care less about the papers if not for the vaccination records included on them. She gave me the name of the vet where she took him for his 2nd set of shots so maybe that will help me and my vet to see what he needs. My vet has also recommended just vaccinating him again, "just to be sure", but I don't know about that. Thoughts...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I missed your last post, I've never done slow intro's.

Little ones are in their own room if I can't supervise for safety, since grown cats playing can get rough, otherwise mine all accept newcomers readily. 

Glad things are going well for you. I think it's often more stressful for the owners

I personally wouldn't vaccinate just for the sake of it, if you are sure he got one at the breeders and one from the former owner I'd leave it at that. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you ring the second set of vets they might be able to confirm they vaccinated him, and when.  However in the UK the vaccine card has a little sticker from the bottle on, the batch number I think, I'd keep prodding your friend to see if she can find the documentation.

Glad things are settling down now.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will definitely stay on Suzie about finding his paperwork. I will call the Vet she took him to recently and hope that they documented his shot record. Surely they did.

The kitties still aren't getting along like best friends just yet, but hopefully they will eventually figure out who's in charge. Their sessions last upwards of an hour now and they basically take turns doing circus dives at each other- trying to one up the other. It's aggressive but there's no fighting unless you count the occasional tackle.
Who knows? Once my Leonidas gets fixed he may concede. :D

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh the main reason I thought about having it done again, is I have no record of the first shots. I travel for my job once, or twice a year and I won't be able to board him will I?

thekittysaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both kitties are adorable! Cats take their time getting used to each other. I recently introduced my kitten chloe to my 3 adult cats. It took two weeks for them to accept her. Chloe was immaciated when we found her; so she started eating and drinking immediately. Your red point looks allot like my cat. I think he would be referred to as a red point mix. He has blue eyes. I don't have papers so I guess I can't call him anything. All my cats are just mixed domestic. 2 were rescued. I love them no matter what breeds the are!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will definitely stay on Suzie about finding his paperwork. I will call the Vet she took him to recently and hope that they documented his shot record. Surely they did.
The kitties still aren't getting along like best friends just yet, but hopefully they will eventually figure out who's in charge. Their sessions last upwards of an hour now and they basically take turns doing circus dives at each other- trying to one up the other. It's aggressive but there's no fighting unless you count the occasional tackle.
Who knows? Once my Leonidas gets fixed he may concede.
Sounds like they are getting on pretty well - kitten play often looks horribly rough to us.  Was waatching mine yesterday and they are nipping each other all over the place!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh the main reason I thought about having it done again, is I have no record of the first shots. I travel for my job once, or twice a year and I won't be able to board him will I?
Here you can get the cat vaccinated before boarding, perhaps a month before, where proof of shots is required

But you may be able to get a duplicate copy of paperwork from the past vet, although it won't have the vaccine sticker attached

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed a huge difference in Leonidas already, believe it or not. I figured it would take a couple of weeks for him to get the testosterone Out of his system. I guess not, because he has been sweet as sugar ever since he came home. He's been a lot more loving towards me, and a lot more loving towards his sister. Has anyone else had a male cat to have this dramatic a reaction to neutering? I'm pleased as can be. He's got a little bit of a runny nose in the pics. I've been keeping it wiped for him. Hopefully it's just sniffles as my vet said he's fine.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Imagined difference or not, I'm glad you're finding him more pleasant and things are going well for you

I neuter 10 week olds usually so not noticing anything

I did just neuter a boy I'd run on, he's 6 months and sweet as pie so no difference in him either. Almost didn't get him back from the vet staff though, they had him out for cuddles and tummy rubs all day and wanted to keep him.
Don't think his new owners would have liked that lol

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I know is, there has been little to no hostility since I brought him back from the vet. Before his surgery they were still at each other somewhat. They would never lay on the couch at the same time with me, and now it's not a big deal. They are still chasing each other occasionally, but it"s playful chasing.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arrrgh!!! This never ends! Now that Leonidashas calmed down and has taken down more submissive role, Oksana has decided to start picking on him. I never thought my timid little kitty had it in her but she's actually bullying Leo I think. Maybe I'm just too sensitive, as Missy had mentioned most people are in one of her previous posts. There is no blood, no biting from what I can tell (maybe the occasional nip), no claws extended, no hissing or growling, but it's a full on "Battle Royale" and Oksana is kicking poor little Leo's ass! I keep trying to stay out of it until I see him just get pummeled, and then I have to step in and break it up. I feel so bad for him. You can tell he saying leave me alone in cat language. He's ducking and looking to me for help poor thing.

Should I just let them fight, or am I doing right by breaking it up when it starts to get a little too physical?

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to be sure it is fighting without seeing it.  Cats do play rough, and they maybe deciding who is top cat as well, which only they can do.  It sounds like they are not hurting each other so try to let them get on with it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then it's probably quite normal, if he's much smaller than her you are right to break them up, or distract them if things get a bit rough and he's crying.