New kitten won't come out of carrier(I've read the Sticky)

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to find the papers.  There should be a vaccination card with them, and a pedigree.  The vaccination card varies hugely with the vet, the pedigree is probably printed on a sheet of A4 paper or card.  There might even be a kitten card leaflet the breeder printed, and a receipt.  You need the vaccination card - if you ever need to board your cats any reputable cattery will expect to see it.  You can also check if the sex on the papers matches your kitten!

If he is 16 weeks old then it will be a white post-card size card with GCCF in moderately large type - it changed earlier in the year from a pink slip.  It would be polite to let the breeder know the kitten is safe and well.

Kitten looks quite happy in the photos, sounds like introductions are going fine, at some point you need to let Oksana in when you are there.  Some kittens are very confident and fit in very quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the kitten is quite happy. Boy has he come out of his shell! I'm trying to think of a name for him. His personality is wide open. I'm thinking Charlie (Sheen) b/c he's totally nuts. Do Meezers slow down at all when they get older?

He and my poor little Oksana are taking as it comes. He's not scared of her at all anymore, in fact he kind of aggressively charges at her when she's in a defensive posture. She always backs herself into a corner and then he'll just run towards her. She hisses and he saunters off like a lion dominating a fellow pride member. There has been no fighting at all only hurt egos. I'm still keeping him in his room for now, but I can't do it much longer. He's miserable up there, and no matter how much time I spend with him, he wants to join us downstairs.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You need to redirect him and not allow him to charge her like that, she will become very scared of him and if he has a dominant personality, he could increase his aggressiveness in the face of timidity.

Is Oksana spayed? And the boy, when do you anticipate getting him neutered?

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to but he's way faster than me. He's got a great fast-break b/c even when I'm between them(which is 90% of the time), he will side step me and rush her. He doesn't hiss, & he doesn't growl; I think he's just trying to sniff her. Oksana, however probably would let him if he would just walk up slowly. The thing is though, I don't know if SLOW is in his vocabulary. He's a total spaz! He's incredibly athletic for a 4 month old kitten. I had to give him a bath earlier... My God it was tough! I'll put it in another thread. :)

I've tried the perfume trick before, they won't get close enough to sniff each other... To be honest I really wish Oksana would just pop him one good time when he rushes her (no claws of course) to teach him a lesson and establish herself as the top cat. How can I help her do that? She's such a sissy...

I am planning on getting him neutered soon. It will be in July for sure. He can't have that much testosterone flowing through his veins yet can he? Yes Oksana is def spayed.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am planning on getting him neutered soon. It will be in July for sure. He can't have that much testosterone flowing through his veins yet can he? Yes Oksana is def spayed.
They're an early maturing breed, not uncommon for boys to mate very early. One reason I neuter my kittens at 10 weeks, but this is more than likely just dominance/intro issues.  They need to establish who's the dominant one and you can't help, they've got to work it out.

Also a very athletic breed, who stay active for a long time - part of their appeal :) I have Ocicats which are a bit more active and crazy, the almost 6 year olds are just as active as the litters of kittens.

Last edited:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Use an interactive toy to play with them together, I have found that it can help them focus on something other than the other cat when they are together. This helps them get used to each others presence.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They actually looked like they were going to sniff each other last night, and like an idiot I reached to pet Oksana to calm her. She hissed at me, and she's never done that. Then she ran off. Before this Oksana was slowly following him around the house which she's done briefly, but never at any length.
Later the kitten tried to rush her several times and I was able to deflect him with words, or my body being in his way. He did get around me eventually and he rushed her and scared her. I gave him a stern no, and took him and put him back in his room. He was very calm and sweet when I went to check on him later, almost like he was saying "I'm sorry"...
I don't know if this will correct the behavior or not. I'm starting to worry. I will try a toy to see if I can get them to play. They both love their string type toys so, I think that's the way to go.

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the kitten is quite happy. Boy has he come out of his shell! I'm trying to think of a name for him. His personality is wide open. I'm thinking Charlie (Sheen) b/c he's totally nuts. Do Meezers slow down at all when they get older?
He and my poor little Oksana are taking as it comes. He's not scared of her at all anymore, in fact he kind of aggressively charges at her when she's in a defensive posture. She always backs herself into a corner and then he'll just run towards her. She hisses and he saunters off like a lion dominating a fellow pride member. There has been no fighting at all only hurt egos. I'm still keeping him in his room for now, but I can't do it much longer. He's miserable up there, and no matter how much time I spend with him, he wants to join us downstairs.
Both Siamese and Orientals are normally active, athletic, intelligent and easily bored.  Getting two at the same time (same litter) usually works better as they use a huge amount of energy playing with each other, and older cats can stay out of the way.

I have two adult Orientals and they still play like kittens most days - except the boy is 5 kg and the girl 3.5 kg, so that's 8.5 kg (almost 19 pounds) of cat charging around.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thank everyone who's posted here as it's helped me considerably. I have another question: do you think a Feliway Diffuser would help the situation at all?

Last edited:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Feliway won't hurt. And I think you understand where you went wrong reaching out to touch her. Let them have their space to figure this out, it takes a lot of time and patience but you'll get there.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RAFM I tried ur suggestion with the toys. I brought out the laser pointer and electronic mouse with feathers on a string. Oksana loves both of these so that influenced my choice. The kitty has his own string & feather toys upstairs, but I figured these would be more apt to get Oksana involved. She just watched... No interaction whatsoever. However, he was tired-out by the end of session so he only rushed her once. He did try to scratch a chair she had previously scratched a little bit before I stopped her. He is a heathen:banghead:
They actually laid next to each other for a little while too, so maybe there is hope...or maybe he was just tired LOL!
After that I I had him on the couch next to me petting him, and Oksana had this look on her face like she was going to kill us both in our sleep tonight. I'm not kidding, she was pissed! I guess she had never seen me giving him affection yet. I had been giving it to her constantly the past few days to make her feel extra special.

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, a little more progress. Oksana rushed the kitty once in our last session. She seemed to dominate him pretty much the whole time until we went upstairs. Then Oksana was about to rush him again and he puffed his tail out 5 times it's size and stood his ground. She tucked her tail, hissed, and ran underneath the bed:rolleyes:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, getting him tired out is the best way to keep him from rushing her. Although, you will also get tired in the process. :lol3:

You are still very early on in their intros, just take it slowly and keep him tired. It will help. :vibes:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel so bad for keeping him pinned up in his safe room. I have a few toys, his bed and other necessary items in there but that's it. He now cries when I leave him and he used to not do that. He really likes hanging out with me downstairs and he's starting to calm down a little bit as well.

When I keep him up there now, I fear messing him up to keep Oksana sane b/c he hates it. It's a catch 22. I guess realistically there are a lot of poor cats stuck in tiny cages in shelters that are way worse off. Yet, I still feel guilty.

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, he's doing a lot better and has been more docile (compared to the Ocelot he was a few days ago). Should I put him back in his room after he gets aggressive with her so he makes the connection. I've never believed in punishing animals, but I'm just wondering if maybe he might get it. If he wants to stay with us, he has to act right.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as I decide to brag on him, he get's worse. He's driving me crazy me and Oksana crazy. He seems to be Obsessed with chasing her now and he's trying to claw at things to mark his territory. It will only be a matter of time before he's trying to spray so it's to the Vet ASAP for neutering. My question is do you think neutering him will curb his aggressive behavior? I mean he is Siamese (or at least that's what he's supposed to be) and from what I've read they are territorial as hell.

I've thought a lot the past few days about the whole debacle with his sex being incorrect and obviously something doesn't add up. My friend's whole family (including his daughter the previous owner of the kitten) are in Chicago for the 4th so I still have not seen the papers for the cat. Regardess they are most likely counterfeit. I don't know for sure, I just have a bad feeling about it.

Other inconsistencies have arisen with regards to the cat's age. He's supposed to be about 16 weeks old, but he's almost the size of Oksana. She is 10 months (but is a really small cat). He does have a little kitten meow and he is a boy so I just figured he'd be a big boy someday. It occured to me earlier to check his teeth as a kitten 6 months of age should have all it's kitten teeth including molars. He does have all his teeth. I think it's pretty clear at this point that she was lied to quite a bit regarding this cat. She paid $350 for him. I paid only a small portion of that--yet I feel as if I've been ripped off. I guess that's what I get for not dealing with a reputable breeder. How was I to know though? She told me she bought him from a breeder. She told me she was bringing the papers and vet records with her when she met me to give me the cat. She forgot them. I probably could have known something was amiss from the jump.

One final note a google search of the catteries that sell Siamese Cats in the Nashville area where I live, there are none in the suburb where she bought the cat.

Oh well I don't know what I should do.

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have another go at getting the papers and vet records, and get him neutered ASAP.  A really well-grown 16-week kitten could just about be as large as a tiny adult, but as you say he may well be older.

I wouldn't describe Siamese as especially territorial, but they are athletic, active and easily bored and that might be what is happening to your boy.  I feel what he really needs is a companion his own age.  I have Orientals which are pretty much the same temprement and kittens especially more grown-up ones use up a huge amount of energy playing with each other.  Getting one on it's own would be a nightmare for any existing cats unless they are young, outgoing and playful which it sounds like Oksana isn't.

Dunno about the US, but there are still breeders in the UK without a website and who don't use the web to sell, so they obviously won't show up via Google.  There are also breeders with email but no website, and these are reputable breeders.  I agree something dodgy has gone on, but until you manage to get the papers (if you can) it's hard to tell what and where.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As tired as I am with 2 cats right now, 3. Cats just isn't possible:) Do you think that getting him neutered would make a significant behavior difference with regards to being dominant-- regardless of his age.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really have no idea if he is trying to dominate or play.  However getting him neutered isn't going to make things worse and might make them better.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, neutering is the first thing to do and could improve the situation quite a bit I would think.  I've read it takes a few weeks for the hormones to level out afterwards so it might take a little time to see some improvement.  I hope it goes well for you.