New kitten with wetness & now bald spot under eye

secuono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted a kitten on Monday.

She's developed an eye issue. No tears, no rubbing, no weird discharge, no keeping eye closed. All normal, just now icky and bald under the eye.

What could this be and does it need a vet RX or not?
I've tried to Google it, but no pictures to be found that looks anything like it. =/

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know what it is but it definitely looks like it is worth a visit to the vet.  Your kitten is really cute, by the way.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't seen a kitten with anything like this but your kitten doesn't look well, with little bits of their second eyelid showing in the first picture:  the skin looks as if there could be a bacterial infection or maybe a fungal infection there - and in the more recent picture it looks like it might be spreading to the other cheek and possibly the nose?

I hope you are able to talk with and get your kitten seen by a vet soon.  It is very sad to see this when you have just adopted the little one.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

secuono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

She was sleeping while I took the pictures, so the other lid showing is from her just opening her eyes to see why I was annoying her. But then, she also closes her eyes, she hates flash. Can't get a good pic without her napping and without using flash.

Looking at pics from Monday, both under eye skin had a hint of something.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little baby.   She looks very sweet.  I hope the vet calls you back soon. 

(Mouse has always been like that - hating his picture taken and esp with a flash).

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hardly ever use the flash.
A very pretty baby. I hope that the vet will be able to cure this sore quickly.

secuono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet app for Monday morning.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor baby!  Definitely not feeling well.  That could be from rubbing his eye too much.  I had a cat who did that once and I freaked out.  She had an eye infection and I didn't know it.  With treatment, the spot cleared up, her eye cleared up, and she was fine.  Hope your baby is feeling better soon.  Let us know what you find out at the vet.

secuono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She doesn't rub at all, doesn't notice it at all, that's what's weird.

But it stopped spreading.
Got new litter for her in case it's allergy related. Hard to find unscented, clumping litter that isn't $1 per pound or more! But I'll later start mixing clean dirt. I do that with our adult cat, no issues.

secuono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's super hyper and playful in between her naps. Yesterday and today, her tail and my shadows have been the new prey she must catch.
Pic with her squeaking mouse toy, she flings that thing all over the house, chases it, carries it around, kicks and mauls it. =)
She even runs and then jumps through the cat door like an agility dog.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Well it's a real positive that she is energetic and playful.  
    She sounds really cute.   I hope the vet appointment goes well and they can figure out what is causing / has caused the patches under the eyes and that she is otherwise well.  

The clumping litter I use sounds really expensive because it's so heavy but it lasts ages with clumping so well and not needing complete changes very often as a result.

secuono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At the vets, waiting.

secuono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, vet said it might be ringworm, but not sure. =/
Gave a shot for the ringworm and a shot for ear mites.
She believes the rescue went too fast and didn't really care for her properly, so she had the rescue pay for everything. But if I decide to do a blood test for...I forgot what the 2 were, I can do the test next timw I'm there or not. But the rescue did a swab test for one of them, which the vet doesn't believe is worth bothering, since it's not acurate at all.
Also said that they need 3 distemper shots, not 2 as the paperwork says kittens need. Adults can get away with 2 shots.
I'll be getting her next worming and distemper shot next month. Hope everything clears up!

Kitty did great, got her a nice lunch and now we're home recovering from the 'evil vets'. =)

If the eye spots do not spread and start to improve, then we're all good. If not getting better or start spreading, we'll be back at the vet to try something else.

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing the blood test is for feline leukemia/feline immunodeficiency virus. I'd recommend having it done. All kittens should be checked for those things. Did the vet talk to you about how to clean your environment to prevent reinfection/spreading ringworm? You should definitely do that too. There's also an over the counter topical anti fungal cream that helps clear up ringworm. Did the vet suggest that? I hope this clears up soon! Your little baby is so adorable. :)

secuono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, that was it. But they did the swab for just one of them and everything was done on intake day, spay, deworming, swab test, etc. Then she went off to the cage with other kittens in the store. So no real QT and she could of caught other things from the other cats.

Vet said that since it's so close to the eyes, a cream/topical would be dangerous. So she got an injection instead.
She mentioned keeping the kitten away from our cat, but nothing about how to deal with ringworm. She really didn't sound sure that it even was that. =/ Maybe that's why she didn't say how to clean the house or things she touches...

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What a sweetie you have there, she looks like she behaved impeccably at the vets! 
   They must think she is a little star.  And how lucky she has come home with someone loving and responsible like you.   The vets must have been quiet shocked at how the shelter had acted to have said they would send the costs to them too - very pleased for you.

Here is a TCS article with information on ringworm and also about cleaning your home to manage any possible cross infections.  Even if it isn't that the methods all sound useful anyway and worth doing.

I agree it would be worth going ahead with the testing to make sure your little one is healthy, esp how the shelter put all the cats together without full tests being done. Other than the little patches of fur loss her playing and everything sounds healthy but it would be good to have this confirmed and know for sure so you know best how to care for her.  Looks like you have one special kitty from her behaviour today. 

Last edited: