New Kitten... with a Burn

BabyBlueberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey! I last used this forum when I got my first kitten, Charcoal! He was really rambunctious and enjoyed my eyeballs being his hunting targets. If anyone remembers that - it's resolved! He's been neutered, he's calmed down some, everything is well.

Well, my cousin recently pulled a kitten out of his... muffler? I believe? It's been about two and a half months. When he found Max, he was practically a newborn. Ears still folded and everything. Now my cousin's a dog person, and has the idea that cats are lesser. That's not great, I know, so as soon as I found out about little Max, I wanted him. He'd make a nice brother for Charcoal, and I'd be getting Max away from the outdoors. My mother said no, (this was about a month ago), but between now and then, Max was attacked by a seriously angry opossum and narrowly missed multiple stray, aggressive dogs. Well, my cousin popped by to visit about 4 days ago now, and after learning all of that, my mother agreed to take him.

However, like I said before, my cousin pulled him out of his muffler - Max has a burn on his stomach. It's been there all two and a half months he's been with both my cousin and I (though I've had him for only 3ish days) because it's supposedly infected. I introduced my two cats very very, uh, not the way you're supposed to, but the control in that was taken from my hands. It's been decent sailing despite. A good bit of bullying from Charcoal, but mostly heckling and nothing worse. Half of the scab on Max's burn has been taken off, either by Charcoal, himself, or it just fell off. It's not bleeding per se, but it is uh, wet and drippy and pretty gross all around. Like I said, it's said to be infected. Mac also has fleas, ear mites, and potentially worms (I've seen no telltale signs, but my cousin sent him over with worm medication).

We ARE taking Max to the vet (and also getting some preventative medications for Charcoal due to exposure), but I would REALLY like to bathe Max. He's kind of smelly, definitely dirty deep into his coat (he has a winter coat), and I'd like a little bit of some sort of protective measure for his wound. His ears are VERY hot, so I assume he has a fever. With the scab ripped off of half his wound, I worry his dirty coat will make it become more infected. What should I do? Should I not bathe him? If I can, how should I go about it? I have Dawn dish soap, I've used it on Charcoal before, and it's labelled as "extra gentle". I can post pictures of the burn if requested.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't think I would bathe him at this point. But, you could try taking a chamomile tea bag (grocery store variety, which are typically German - you don't want English - and no additives/flavorings), brew it in water, cool the liquid and gently wipe the wound with it using cotton balls or a soft cloth. The tea has both soothing and healing properties, and it should help clean the wound as well. You might call the vet and ask about using Neosporin (no pain additive) on the wound after cleaning it until you get him in to see the vet - which I hope is very, very soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BabyBlueberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cousin said he had been previously draining the infection out of it and boiling it out with peroxide. He said Max never minded it, but it obviously didn't really work. We have triple antibiotic ointment here at home, and peroxide and rubbing alcohol. We don't have any tea or regular Neosporin though.

He's definitely going to the vet soon, though. We're unable to take him right now because my vet is closed on weekends and Monday is a holiday. I'm hoping for Tuesday, but it's more than likely going to be later in the week.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't feel comfortable using your cousin's approach, nor any of the items you mentioned above. So, I am hoping some other members will come along with things they know to be safe while waiting to see a vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would stop with the draining and peroxide right away and go with the teabag and Neosporin even though you have not seen a vet yet as it sounds on the serious side. I would wait on the bathing as well; there are cat bathing wipes that you can buy if you can find them where you could selectively clean parts of his body. Is there an ER vet nearby in case you need one over the next couple of days?

Your cousin was kind to rescue the kitten. Once, when I had injector service on my car, the service manager told me how many animals he had fished out of mufflers in his career and several were cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have triple antibiotic ointment here at home, and peroxide and rubbing alcohol. We don't have any tea or regular Neosporin though.

Neosporin is just a brand name for triple antibiotic ointment. As long as the ointment you have doesn't contain pain medicine (typically pramoxine HCL), it's fine to use.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plain water is fine until the vet can see the cat. A vet visit should be sooner than later if the wound is already infected.

He's definitely going to the vet soon, though. We're unable to take him right now because my vet is closed on weekends and Monday is a holiday. I'm hoping for Tuesday, but it's more than likely going to be later in the week.
Call the vet's office anyways. The after hours voice mail message will tell you who to call for emergencies. Give that number a call and explain the burn situation.

Last edited: