New Kitten Throwing Up and Not Eating

theGman5918

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two days ago my family got a kitten from the animal shelter. It was doing fine but today it won't eat anything and sometimes throws up a little. However it still appears to have a lot of energy. We think it might be because she got all her shots and a chip the same day we got her, but we are also confused because this was not an issue yesterday. Does anyone think it is because of the shots or a potentially worse health problem?

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly, it’s impossible for us to say.

How old is the kitten? How many times has she vomited? Is there food in her vomit? Or is it clear, yellow, or foamy bile?

Generally speaking, if the kitten gets worse or isn’t better by tomorrow, I would take her into the vet tomorrow. Not eating and/or frequent vomiting is a serious/urgent issue for any cat if it doesn’t resolve quickly, but especially for a young kitten.

Are you feeding her the same thing the shelter fed her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theGman5918

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten is almost two months old. She vomited once around me but according to my family she has been doing it frequently. The vomit is just a yellow-whitish liquid with no bits of food in it and we have been attempting to feed her the exact food recommended by the shelter. She ate it yesterday and the day before without any problems but this just started today.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
how is she now? Has her eating picked up? Eight weeks is still very young and kittens this young cannot exist long without nourishment. If you haven't seen a Vet yet, please do so and then let us know what's happening. It COUlD be from her shots, but that usually goes away within 24 hours, and my cats have never stopped eating or actually vomited, just gotten lethargic.

Have you tried giving her Kitten Milk Replacement? You can get that at most pet food stores.

theGman5918

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
how is she now? Has her eating picked up? Eight weeks is still very young and kittens this young cannot exist long without nourishment. If you haven't seen a Vet yet, please do so and then let us know what's happening. It COUlD be from her shots, but that usually goes away within 24 hours, and my cats have never stopped eating or actually vomited, just gotten lethargic.

Have you tried giving her Kitten Milk Replacement? You can get that at most pet food stores.
We saw a vet this morning and they gave her fluids and something to help her stomach. They did not find anything wrong with her physically and she has been very energetic all day. We managed to get her to eat some wet food and drink some water last night but in the morning before the vet visit there was diarrhea in her litter box and vomit in the surrounding area. Afterwards we managed to get her to eat a little bit of food and drink water and her poop was whitish, which is okay in this case since the vet said that means the medicine they gave her is working. I just tried to feed her some more food but she was not interested and went to play with her toys instead.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you giving her Kitten Milk Replacement along with food? She is still VERY young, really younger than she should be to be away from her mother, really. The KMR might be tasty to her AND give her much needed nutrients.

theGman5918

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not good. We sent her back to the shelter for a few days since they offer vet care and they could keep an eye on her overnight. She continues to throw up and the caretakers are absolutely stumped as to what is wrong with her.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my goodness. Well, at least she is under a Vet's care for now, so they can keep her hydrated, etc.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: