New kitten terrified!

ranrules

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats that are a year old, a dog and four young, loud kids.
Both cats get along with the dog just fine and the kids are very respectful of the animals. I just got a kitten (17 weeks) from a very reputable breeder. Unfortunately, the cat had to be flown across country to get to me (including two plane transfers).
Needless to say, he was in hiding for the first 24 hours. I have him isolated in our guestroom. He's finally comfortable enough that he comes right up to me when I go in the room. If anyone else goes in, he hides. He's eating/drinking/going to the bathroom just fine and he will play with toys. Yesterday I tried putting a baby gate across the door so the other cats & dog could see him and he would get more use to the sounds of the house. He just hid again.

All the cats I've ever had had that typical curiosity and would eventually explore their environment. I've had this kitten 7 days and he still hides in the one room he's been in since I got him. I know I have to take it SLOW, and I'm fine with that. My question is -- is keeping him isolated from the rest of the house going to affect him? I'm concerned that he'll get use to being isolated and therefore will never adjust. HELP!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your new kitten is doing fine. One week in a new place with children, a dog and 2 cats will be scary to any kitten who has never been exposed to such things.
He already trusts you and in time he will be curious about the others.

temperpolk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ranrules

My question is -- is keeping him isolated from the rest of the house going to affect him? I'm concerned that he'll get use to being isolated and therefore will never adjust. HELP!
Your kitten will be just fine!! Keep up the good work and keep him isolates until he is completely comfortable with "his/her" room. Allow short, supervised intros beteween the other cat, the dog and your little humans. It may take a while but your kitten may end up the "alpha" of your house. Don't worry, she will not be used to isolation