New kitten sick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Philrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Purring is usually a sign of contentment, or cats purr to comfort themselves when feeling sick, pain, or anxiety.
Ok. I read one or two articles that it could be breathing problems related to something. I think it said if the voice box isnt vibrating is a breathing issue? New to me

Philrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: it's an upper respiratory infection. Had we waited longer, as my son would say she'd be on a rocket ship to see baby jesus. They said continue what I'm doing and give her antibiotics. Only 6 weeks old so cant do any tests yet

Attachments

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Philrr.

Could you post the name of the antibiotic you were given?

And, I have a lingering worry about her eyes, and I'm surprised you weren't given some topical drugs for them.

Could you post some new pics, closeup, just of her face/head, perhaps 3, right, front (straight on)and left, so we could have a closeup look at the eyes and their surrounds?

I guess my nagging concern is that there's a viral involvement too (which an antibiotic won't help). That is what causes some of the terrible pictures that often come out of kitten and car rescue situations. If that were to be the case, the earlier the intervention, the best the chances are for complete recovery. I'm not and I don't wish to be seen as second-guessing the Vet who treated her......that said, many of us know very well that there are Vets......and, then, there are Vets.

Perhaps Sarthur2 Sarthur2 could be on standby - she will have seen that type of thing and could offer her experience/ opinion.

Philrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Philrr.

And, I have a lingering worry about her eyes, and I'm surprised you weren't given some topical drugs for them.

Could you post some new pics, closeup, just of her face/head, perhaps 3, right, front (straight on)and left, so we could have a closeup look at the eyes and their surrounds?

I guess my nagging concern is that there's a viral involvement too (which an antibiotic won't help). That is what causes some of the terrible pictures that often come out of kitten and car rescue situations. If that were to be the case, the earlier the intervention, the best the chances are for complete recovery. I'm not and I don't wish to be seen as second-guessing the Vet who treated her......that said, many of us know very well that there are Vets......and, then, there are Vets.

Perhaps Sarthur2 Sarthur2 could be on standby - she will have seen that type of thing and could offer her experience/ opinion.
Ya I can do that. I get home from work around 12:30 am central. They diagnosed her with the chlamydophila virus. If that helps. She had sores in her mouth already from it too.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad you got her to the vet. Poor little thing, she's really lucky you found her when you did.

Antibiotics are used to treat chlamydial conjunctivitis, but I'm surprised the vet didn't give you any eye cream or drops, just to make her a bit more comfortable.

Are you still using the kid's saline eye drops?

Philrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad you got her to the vet. Poor little thing, she's really lucky you found her when you did.

Antibiotics are used to treat chlamydial conjunctivitis, but I'm surprised the vet didn't give you any eye cream or drops, just to make her a bit more comfortable.

Are you still using the kid's saline eye drops?
I got eye drops, an oral medication for nose(goes in fridge) and the third thing I forgot what it is used for. They gave me 3 syringes pre filled. Those are once every 24 hours. Once I get home I can let everyone know what they gave me

Philrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Philrr.

Tobramycin,amoxicillin, and pamacur suspensin

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I got eye drops, an oral medication for nose(goes in fridge) and the third thing I forgot what it is used for. They gave me 3 syringes pre filled. Those are once every 24 hours. Once I get home I can let everyone know what they gave me
OK, that sounds good. Sounds similar to the meds my vet has prescribed in the past. I hope she continues to improve. Please keep us posted.

:goodluck:

Philrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s looking so much better!

Yes, when she is well and eating and drinking better, her coat will become very luxurious and shiny. :)
She'll eat once I clean her nose. So do it few times a day. I haven't seen her drink much water.. maybe the bowl is too small? She will drink my dogs water but almost fall in.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She is looking much better already.

One of the sick kittens I rescued lost a lot of fur in the first few months, but then it all grew back in thicker and softer than ever as she started to gain weight. You could try grooming her with a soft brush. Most cats really enjoy this. The dead fur will probably come out in big handfuls, but she'll look much better as it grows back in.

Is she interested in water from the tap? Cat's are attracted to moving water, so leave a tap trickling and see if she will drink from that. If she seems to prefer her water that way you could treat her to a water fountain.

Philrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is looking much better already.

One of the sick kittens I rescued lost a lot of fur in the first few months, but then it all grew back in thicker and softer than ever as she started to gain weight. You could try grooming her with a soft brush. Most cats really enjoy this. The dead fur will probably come out in big handfuls, but she'll look much better as it grows back in.

Is she interested in water from the tap? Cat's are attracted to moving water, so leave a tap trickling and see if she will drink from that. If she seems to prefer her water that way you could treat her to a water fountain.
Haven't tried tap trickling. We are on well water. But cant be any worse then what she out on the street

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well water is great! Your kitten shows rapid improvement. Is she eating comfortably despite her mouth sores? She may have "whisker fatigue" when her whiskers touch the side of the dish so you can try putting water in a wide, shallow dish. Thank you for the update!

Philrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well water is great! Your kitten shows rapid improvement. Is she eating comfortably despite her mouth sores? She may have "whisker fatigue" when her whiskers touch the side of the dish so you can try putting water in a wide, shallow dish. Thank you for the update!
Ya. She'll eat quite a bit. Again I have to clean out her nose first