New kitten sick

Philrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was found outside. 6-8 weeks old. Very playful, eats/drinks, and uses the box. As you can see she is having eye and nose problems.. I'm bringing her in Wednesday (appointments only). Hopefully I can Tuesday instead pending on what everyone thinks. I've heard feline leukemia.. really hoping that's not it..

Attachments

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feline Leukemia doesn't mean that the kitty is going to leave you soon. There are all kinds of articles stressing that a cat can have a long and quality life with it, and I can tell you from personal experience that it's true.

The kitten's behavior is great, and that's an excellent sign. Kittens don't eat, drink and play when they feel really lousy.

I've rescued many runny nosed/ goopy eyed abandoned kittens. My opinion based on 30 years of rescue and research- and it's just that - I'm not a vet - is that most of these guys found outside and abandoned probably do have some underlying condition. So I feed them the best diet possible (adding real cooked chicken for example - that has helped many runny nosed kittens turn a corner), give them all the love I feel for them, and let nature sort things out. Most immune related cat conditions are not treatable, and the diagnostic tests for them have a high rate of false positives and negatives.Of course I do have them spayed/neutered and rabies vaccinated when their weight and health allows it. I also suggest getting prescription eye ointment when the vet suggests it as some immune eye infections can cause the kitty to lose their site.

Hope this helps. Don't give up hope. For however long this sweet one is with you, you are their hero.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Philrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feline Leukemia doesn't mean that the kitty is going to leave you soon. There are all kinds of articles stressing that a cat can have a long and quality life with it, and I can tell you from personal experience that it's true.

The kitten's behavior is great, and that's an excellent sign. Kittens don't eat, drink and play when they feel really lousy.

I've rescued many runny nosed/ goopy eyed abandoned kittens. My opinion based on 30 years of rescue and research- and it's just that - I'm not a vet - is that most of these guys found outside and abandoned probably do have some underlying condition. So I feed them the best diet possible (adding real cooked chicken for example - that has helped many runny nosed kittens turn a corner), give them all the love I feel for them, and let nature sort things out. Most immune related cat conditions are not treatable, and the diagnostic tests for them have a high rate of false positives and negatives.Of course I do have them spayed/neutered and rabies vaccinated when their weight and health allows it. I also suggest getting prescription eye ointment when the vet suggests it as some immune eye infections can cause the kitty to lose their site.

Hope this helps. Don't give up hope. For however long this sweet one is with you, you are their hero.
Thank you! What else do/did you feed them? We grabbed Iams healthy kittens. Supposedly has nutrients from mothers milk. She wont touch actual milk or soft food.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The important thing is getting her to eat. If she'll eat the Iams, that's great. Since her teeth may not all be in, soaking it in water (if it's dry food) might help. Along with chicken you might try tuna and baby food that has meat in it. So often it's a matter of trial and error. And putting aside most of the rules because the bottom line is getting her to eat.

When they're congested, sometimes they can't "recognize" the food because they can't smell it. I get "Fortiflora" and sprinkle it on the food. It's the same stuff that coats "Temptations" and cats go wild for it and usually even the stuffiest nose can smell it. For that matter you could crush the Temptations and sprinkle it on her food.

I've looked in to colostrum (the immune boosting ingredient in mother's milk) and even tried supplements with no luck, but please let me know if the Iams helps.

I'm thinking back over so many goopy eyed stuffy nosed kittens and trying to remember how long it took for them to turn a corner. It seems as though it's been from a couple weeks to several months. But don't be discouraged. The best indicator is behavior. As long as she's eating, drinking, peeing, pooping and playing, she's plugging along. If she gets listless, that's a red flag and you should probably get her to a vet right away. Sadly there's a high mortality rate among abandoned kittens, but I've lost far fewer than I've had with me for years.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks like she has an upper respiratory infection and those are easily treatable. Its basically like a head cold to you and me. You want to get her on an antibiotic to treat those secondary symptoms like nasal discharge and gluey eyes. If her nose gets too congested she won't be able to smell her food and will stop eating. You also don't want it to go down into her lungs and cause pneumonia, so a round of antibiotics is needed.

Thank you for taking her in. :)

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've done the antibiotics many times and haven't seen that it helps. Antibiotics don't treat viruses. I think the practice of giving them to treat "secondary infections" is more about giving the cat owner and vet the feeling that they've done something productive. Just my opinion.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I've done the antibiotics many times and haven't seen that it helps. Antibiotics don't treat viruses. I think the practice of giving them to treat "secondary infections" is more about giving the cat owner and vet the feeling that they've done something productive. Just my opinion.
Oh, and I do hate to disagree with anyone's opinion here, but yes they do help. Whether it treats a virus, (we don't even know at this point) is irrelevant to what I stated. I said it will clear up the congestion in the kitten's nose because we don't want kitten not to be able to smell her food, thus not eating. And yes, it will clear up the eyes as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh poor baby IMHO the vet should see this little one It could be a bacterial infection and antibiotics would help The eye medication looks to be needed greatly also Simply holding a warm damp cloth to its eyes and gently wiping should help remove some gunk until you can get to the vet Try letting him eat off your fingers Lots and lots of love Keep us posted

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor baby IMHO the vet should see this little one It could be a bacterial infection and antibiotics would help The eye medication looks to be needed greatly also Simply holding a warm damp cloth to its eyes and gently wiping should help remove some gunk until you can get to the vet Try letting him eat off your fingers Lots and lots of love Keep us posted

Thank you, they certainly won't hurt.
:)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, until you see the vet, you can go in the bathroom with the kitten, close the door, and run the shower on hot. Sit with him in the steamy room for 15 minutes or so (or until the hot water runs out). It will help clear the congestion. It will also loosen the dried crud on his eyes, which can then be very gently wiped with a soft cloth.

Philrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been cleaning her eyes gently with a cloth. Seems to help for a bit. I'll try the shower. I've also seen someone use children saline nose drops. Anyone try that here?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Poor little girl! I'm so glad you saved her.

Eye problems are very common in kittens, particularly if they have been outside for any amount of time. She probably has an upper respiratory tract infection, which can be treated with antibiotics. She may have picked up the feline herpes virus too, which isn't treated by antibiotics, but your vet will be able to give you something appropriate to treat whatever she has.

As Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 said, steam is very helpful for clearing congestion. Children's eye drops can help, but make sure you use the kind that are just plain saline drops. Some more tips here.

Best Decongestants For Cats | Natural, Nasal, & Over The Counter

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She clearly needs terramycin antibiotic eye ointment to treat the eye infection, and may well need antibiotics to treat a secondary URI. The vet will advise. Right now, her eyes look bad and need help. Viruses cause colds, but once secondary infections start, antibiotics are helpful in treating it. Your kitten probably needs both, and once she turns the corner will start eating better and improving over all. Get help soon and keep us posted!

Last edited:

Philrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor little girl! I'm so glad you saved her.

Eye problems are very common in kittens, particularly if they have been outside for any amount of time. She probably has an upper respiratory tract infection, which can be treated with antibiotics. She may have picked up the feline herpes virus too, which isn't treated by antibiotics, but your vet will be able to give you something appropriate to treat whatever she has.

As Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 said, steam is very helpful for clearing congestion. Children's eye drops can help, but make sure you use the kind that are just plain saline drops. Some more tips here.

Best Decongestants For Cats | Natural, Nasal, & Over The Counter

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.
Will the herpes virus cut life span or be a monthly treatment?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Philrr and welcome to the forum !

Feline herpesvirus, once controlled, is most unlikely to affect (reduce) lifespan. It's very commonly found in cats, and the measures needed to control it vary from cat to cat - generally, the interventions are relatively 'easy' for everyone. There are antiviral medications and there's a natural remedy, an essential amino acid, that can be used to stop the virus' ability to replicate - that can suppress a herpes outbreak/flareup in a matter of 2-3 days, and is often used afterwards as an ongoing or periodic prophylaxis/treatment.

Here are a couple of plain-language reliable references for you - in the first you'll see images of a kittens & cats where there is severe eye involvement - most of these cats can make an almost 'miraculous' recovery.
Feline Leukemia is a much less commonly seen virus - I haven't seen its effects resemble anything like those this kitten is dealing with. I'd advise to put it out of your considerations for now.

I hope you can get her in tomorrow!

Keep us posted too.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks like she has an upper respiratory infection and those are easily treatable. Its basically like a head cold to you and me. You want to get her on an antibiotic to treat those secondary symptoms like nasal discharge and gluey eyes. If her nose gets too congested she won't be able to smell her food and will stop eating. You also don't want it to go down into her lungs and cause pneumonia, so a round of antibiotics is needed.

Thank you for taking her in. :)
Thats what im thinking upper respiratory infection

Philrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After running hot water in the shower last night and cleaning her eyes/nose. She spent 15 minutes walking around me sniffing my neck and playing with my beard. My heart felt so warm hearing her actually taking deep sniffs. I'd put her on my lap she'd walk back up.

Attachments

Philrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her eyes still do not look good. Do you have a vet appointment?
I agree. However she was able to open them. Once I cleaned her eyes and nose the best I could she was completely different. And yes Wednesday at 930am. As I said unfortunately no one around here is walk in right now. Otherwise I wouldve went in monday