New kitten sick and not eating

jeffs baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone help me? We recently found a new kitten. Her mother had her underneath the deck of our house. We had to take her to the vet; she has an upper respiratory infection, a badly bruised back leg and a cut paw. She is six weeks old and weighs 2 lbs. We cannot get her to eat anything but a little bit of milk and she will drinka little bit of water. She is on antibiotics. I am worried about her because she is so fragile. Does anyone know of a way to get her to eat something?

Thanks

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First I always suggest a vet visit if it has been ahwile and it is progressing. You can try to get her to eat some baby food. They usually like chicken,turkey and beef. Just make sure it does not have onion powder in it. You can also purchase some Nutrical. It is packed with vitamins and protein for them. Then you can try some Lactaid which is the lactose free milk. Make sure and get the whole milk since it has the most fat. I would also give her about a half teaspoon of karo syrup to make sure her blood sugar stays up. I hope this helps a little. Please make sure and give us updates.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeffs baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update on Dixie's condition. I had to take her back to the vet this morning to have a gross larvae removed from her neck. I am grateful to this site, because if I had not read something about that yesterday, I would have totally freaked out when I saw it! I have had cats my whole life, and nothing like that has ever been on any until now. They did an X-ray on her back leg, and discovered that one of her growth plates looked like it may be crushed, but they are hopeful that it will heal. She weighed only 1.5 lbs., so she will have to get back up to 2 lbs. before she can be vaccinated. But she is eating a lot better!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I merged the threads so people could follow along. I am so glad you took her to the vet. You would be amazed at the things that can go wrong with kittens born outside. I will be keeping my fingers for her. Please keep us updated on her progress.