New kitten ruining the relationship between the two existing cats...

andyhohens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I and my family just recently adopted a kitten. We live in a fairly big home (100+ sqm) with two already existing cats (both female, one 6 and the other 5 years old and neutered). They got along pretty well, even though they were never the best of friends, but still never bothered each other and slept next to one another every day. Since yesterday though, when we brought home the new kitten (also a female), they started hissing and growling at each other nonstop. We've been keeping the new kitten in another room (complete with all the necessities), and we've also been leaving the kitten's towel next to the other cats' food bowl where it's time to eat (you know, for positive association).
I'm scared that bringing home the new kitten might have destroyed the relationship between the two previous ones and I would hate to rehome the new kitten.
Please help, I really don't know what to do to remedy the problem.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Your adult cats are feeling stressed right now by the scent of the newcomer in the house. And unfortunately sometimes when cats get stressed they will hiss or even slap at other cats, even ones they are best friends with. This usually resolves itself in a few days when their nerves settle down. I would not introduce the kitten in any way including the scented towel until the older pair are calmer and more relaxed with one another.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get rid of the kitten towel by the food for now. Let them get used to the smell the slow way, as it percolates throughout the house. You don't necessarily have a problem, unless your adult cats fight. If they do, use a towel to grab one and separate them for some cool down time, if you have somewhere you can use as another isolation room. You can probably start doing some scent stuff in a few days. Probably your going to want to confine the kitten for at least a week. Se how its going and adjust.

The other thing I'd be worried about is a kitten escape to the main area. If it happens, YOU have to stay calm no matter what. If you get overly excited and act rashly, the kitten will end up impossible to retrieve, and the adults will pick up on the stress, and things could go even further south.

But with no fights and no escapes, this might just be a blip, no reason to assume the worst. See how it goes, and be willing to go slow.

After scent stuff isn't producing a reaction, do you have a visual step planned? Double stacked baby gates or something like that can work.

Last edited: