New kitten questions

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I discovered that my female cat is well into her pregnancy because I discovered the kitten bump burging on her sides. Calculating back from her last heat I'd say shes around 7 weeks into her pregnancy
But what I am concerned about is the fact that she wasnt fleaed or wormed since her last heat and I'm wondering whether its safe to give her advocate flea/worm treatment now
I heard from someone that pregnant car need to be wormed couple of weeks before giving birth to prevent her passing on the parasites to her newborn kittens but dont know exactly when it should be administered
If anyone could help me with this I'd much appreciate it

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, an article I found helpful for worming pregnant cats and kittens: Worming Your Cat

Not all parasite protection is safe for pregnant and lactating cats, so be sure to contact a vet before giving any products. I believe products that use fenbendazole, such as Panacur, are safe for mumma cats and their kittens. I also believe a product called Drontal is safe as well, but again double check.

Best of luck, would love to see some photos when they arrive!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi thank you for your reply, the link you sent me was very helpful but I am unsure whether I should give medication for large cat (4kg or over) or small cat (under 4kg). My queen was 3.2kg when not pregnant and is around 3.7kg now but the medication for large cat over 4kg is all I have at the moment. I dont want to cause any miscarriage or birth defect for giving the wrong dosage. Do you think it will be safe?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would wait. Does your cat have fleas or parasites? Was she treated regularly before? Have you used this product before on her?

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes she's used that brand before but its been couple of months since she last had it. But last time I gave her was for small cats though
I have two cats, male one 4.3kg and the other 3.2kg so kind of have to buy two package but I only bought one because I like to buy in package of 6 because its cheaper
I thought it would be nice if I could maybe give the same pippet from large cat medication but only give partial on my female cat
Would this work? She's almost 4kg with kitten inside her so I thought it would work?

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat gave birth around 5am today
20210803_100613.jpg

Now she's nursing 5 kittens. I think there is one more inside her but she fell asleep
Does anyone know how to check if there's more inside her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may just be a lumpy uterus. It takes 7-10 days for the uterus to shrink and heal. You may also see some after-pains. These help the uterus to heal. If she does have another kitten she will have it when her body is ready.

With 5, watch for a runt who may need supplementing or to nurse mom when the others are sleeping.

Give mom a dish a day of kitten formula. She needs the extra calcium for nursing.

Beautiful family!

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As you said, I don't think there's anymore coming The kittens are now fluffier having all dried up
There apparently don't seem to be any odd one out luckily as all are nursing quite well
I got 4 white kittens and it's so out of my expectation because I thought I'll have more of tabby coats as the dad was a tabby
I guess white in female must have been dominant

20210803_140818.jpg

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's fairly unlikely but after discovering some blood on a day year old kitten, I started to wonder if neonatal kittens ever fight to the extent they injure each other
I know their claws are tiny but I think its sharp enough to leave a scratch on tender skin of neonatal kittens
This morning I discovered two kitten fighting over mothers milk
So could the blood originate from the wound from the fight I witnessed or something else?
Please help

Heres picture for a reference
20210804_142139.jpg

Thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ow, that was much...
Anyway, you can a) rotate them at the milk bar. Precisely as you would do with a big litter. Half on, half off. Make an extra place with a heating pad, so the kitten off has it comfortably and warmth, and may sleep comfortably.

b) you can cut off the sharpes edges....

What to do with these sores, Im not sure, But healthy kittens are able to heal quite nicely.

Unless the kitten has lack of vitamine K.
I dont know what to do if so. I suppose a vet can give a shot of vitamine K? Anyway, this isnt common, just an idea I got.

S skrumtuoscatlayd

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. As said, afaik lack of k-vitamine is rare. Although I suppose, if human child can have the Bleeding disease, so can kittens too.

But a possible cause may be, if momma did ate a rat poisoned with rat poison. The adult, healthy momma manage to keep herself somewhat healthy. But the rests of the poison come over to kittens with the milk. Farfetched but surely possible.

So, is there any chance momma did ate some small animal, poisoned with rat poison?

IF so, here too a vet helping with a shot of antidote, containing much vitamine K, should help.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, mom cat is very inddor cat she rarely go outside and always eat catfood at home so no rat poisoning
But as I said in another thread, I havent dewormed or deflead her prior to her giving birth and there are fleas present in both kitten and mom
I really dont know what to do in this situation about the fleas on kitten and possible internal parasites
I can give mom cat the flea ointment but she might get reinfested from kittens if you get what I mean so I dont know how to get rid of fleas on mom and the babies simultaneously as tge ointment takes 12 hours to take effect
Any ideas?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, mom cat is very inddor cat she rarely go outside and always eat catfood at home so no rat poisoning
But as I said in another thread, I havent dewormed or deflead her prior to her giving birth and there are fleas present in both kitten and mom
I really dont know what to do in this situation about the fleas on kitten and possible internal parasites
I can give mom cat the flea ointment but she might get reinfested from kittens if you get what I mean so I dont know how to get rid of fleas on mom and the babies simultaneously as tge ointment takes 12 hours to take effect
Any ideas?
OK, so its at least no terrible disease, its "just" a strong worm infestation.
And I suppose these worms may be tapeworms. Are they alike rice corns?

I know Milbomax is a relatively mild all round dewormer, this too may be applied on kittens 2+ weeks. Ie earlier than other all round dewormers.

How much earlier to dare to apply, I dont know, as its unknown terrary. But if enough desperate, you take desperate measures...

Give the ointment you have, and start from there. Cleaning everything twice if necessary... You can bathe the kittens with blue dawn soap water. Its tricky and touchy, as there is a risk they get chilled down.... But if you are careful, it can be doen.
Bathe all three of them, and change them to new bedding. Burn or boil out the old bedding in 90 degree (ie almost boiling water).

I know Capstar is fairly safe, and it kills adults fleas almost instantly. But this must be followed up by other measures too, because you will get rid just of the adult individs. Larvae and eggs are still there.

Have you tried with diacetomeus earth? Make sure its food grade, or human grade... The cheap brands arent healthy for cats; too dusty

ps. I notice I had in part written having in my mind the other thread Im watchin on at this moment. THIS kitten hasnt open worm infestation.
Still, fleas can both make the skin sore, and I suppose, cause bleeding by themselves...

So my advices essentially stands....

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by diacetomeus earth? I think deworming, defleaing mom and bathing the kitten seem like the most effective approach atm but I dont have dawn soap
Can I just use a regular hand soap in small amount and thoroughly rinse the kitten afterwards?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What do you mean by diacetomeus earth? I think deworming, defleaing mom and bathing the kitten seem like the most effective approach atm but I dont have dawn soap
Can I just use a regular hand soap in small amount and thoroughly rinse the kitten afterwards?
I suppose you could use some mild hand soap too. Be sure the kittens doesnt get chilled during the bath nor afterwards.

Google on DE. Its "earth" containing lotsa of old silicon-containing algae. They have often sharp edges, and harms worms and fleas, but is harmless to mammals...
Quite a few cat people use it, esp in USA. Not so much here in Sweden.

Its most often used outside the body, but as its food grade, it can apparently be used inside the body, for internal worms. At least, for adult cats and humans.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you see wounds on mom’s tummy? Or do you see actual scratches on the kitten? If so, are they superficial? If they are, probably not much to worry about.

Clean the kitten with a warm damp cloth so you know. You can apply Neosporin ointment if necessary. Kittens heal quickly. If deep, you’ll need to see a vet.

As StefanZ StefanZ mentioned, trim the very tip of the kittens’ claws. This will result in less scratches on mom’s belly.

Are all kittens nursing well? Kittens do fight over nipples, then eventually “claim” one and stick with it.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I think the scratch was superficial because I saw no more blood after I wiped the blood off the kitten
I think it was more likely the blood from kitten from the fight rather than from mom cat
All the kittens seem to be nursing well as well although they still fight to claim their place after a shuffle
The only thing I'm worried about is flea reinfestation
I tried my best to clear all visible fleas off the kittens but I might have missed some
All the fleas on mom cat btw seem to be either dead or about to be dead from the treatment

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Re: diatomaceous earth: PetMD strongly discourages using DE on pets: "Do not apply diatomaceous earth directly to your pet. It is not effective for flea control when used in this manner and could potentially result in lung damage if inhaled." And this other site suggests even environmental application is ineffective: “There is virtually no reliable data—lab or field studies—showing it is useful at all for flea control in a home—either powdered in the premises or ingested”. Ask your vet when it would be appropriate to apply CapStar to the kittens and just keep an eye on them in the meantime to make sure they are gaining ~10 g per day.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Guys, I just discovered mom cat moving one of her babies to secretive place. When I took the baby from her and placed back in the nesting box she attempted again and when I tryied stop her she looked at her baby as if she wanted to eat it.. (she licked her mouth with her tongue while looking at her baby)
I tried giving her everything from wet food, milk dry food to boiled chicken and cooked tuna but she wont eat
She just keep going into ger nest to snatch one of her baby to another place
Why is she acting this way? Any way to prevent her eating her baby?