New Kitten Peeing on My Bed - Why??? How to stop!

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey,

Long Post - Will try to summarize my problem best as I can

-Current Resident: 17-pound Male Maine Coon Cat @1 year 5 months old - Neutered
-Last week Friday got a 4-ish pound Male Siamese Cat @ 4 months old – Neutered 2 Weeks ago (but still has decent sized testicles???)
^Difference in size is MASSIVE!!!

Live in Apartment. Added a 61x61x36 Playpen with toys, food bowl/water bowl (placed on towel), Tidy Breeze PELLETS litter box and fluffy bed for Siamese Cat to stay in for introduction in my bedroom.

Day 1: Arrival at night – straight to playpen

Day 2: A Few hisses (not much). Siamese cat VERY vocal and wants to cuddle in my lap. Maine Coon jumped on my couch, I yelled at him (out of fear for Siamese Cat) and he peed on couch (out of fear (surprise from yelling/seeing the kitten) or marking territory – I don’t know!). Used enzymic cleaner. Noticed no pee/poop from Siamese in his Box

Day 3: Butt sniffing… one hiss… then lots and lots of playing between them (supervised!!!). No pee/poop from Siamese in box – got worried. Siamese peed in my lap later on! Instantly carried him to his box. He came out of box and peed on towel (where food/water is). Then I noticed – his fluffy bed smelled like pee and there was poop there. I scooped some poop and placed it in the box and used the towel and placed the edge in the box. Placed kitten in there – he sniffed, then later found box had poop in it. I THOUGHT he figured it out

Day 4/5: Unremarkable - hours of play between cats. When done placed Siamese in Playpen. I smelled pee on a chair I had in the living room - I used an Enzymatic cleaner and assumed it was the Maine Coon acting up

Day 6: Cats getting a long VERY well – chasing and playing (surprised at how quick). Opened bedroom door. Later – about to sleep – I found pee on my pillow and comforter. I assumed it was the Maine Coon marking territory because of Day #2 events. Carried him to the crime scene and let him sniff the pee and told him in a “loud disproving voice” BAD CAT! Then closed my bedroom and went to sleep with the Siamese next to me (he loves to cuddle) – first day where I let the Siamese out of the playpen at night.

Day 7: Cats played a couple of hours before I had to go to work – Siamese out of playpen but inside bedroom and Maine Coon in living room. I typically don’t let them together when I’m not home due to size difference. Anyway – this time found pee on my replacement blanket, pillow, AND night gown.

So…. I guess the Maine Coon isn’t the culprit – I was surprised myself b/c he does not like to sleep on my bed but below. I just assumed he was the culprit because he peed on the couch on day 2 and normally the older resident is the one on strike making sure he remains leader

Now… Why is the Siamese peeing on my bed/belongings? Is he marking his territory (even though the Maine Coon isn’t in the room/doesn’t sleep on my bed)? Is he scared because I’m not there? Or angry because I left him alone? Does he not want to pee in the Tidy Breeze litter box? He only pees when I don't see him and he has not peed in my lap since that one time.

I clean both cat’s litter boxes DAILY! I checked the pee tray and I see something in there… but it doesn’t smell like pee (likely because the pads remove the pee scent?). How can I encourage him to only pee in the litter box (are there any substances/sprays??)… and stop peeing on my bed!!!! Siamese cat – being the newer resident… is very possessive. He is the one that sits on my lap while the Maine Coon sits on the corner of my 1-seater “couch” (it’s a large 1-seater couch LOL). And man… does he like to talk. If I wasn’t afraid of the size difference (all it takes is one bite) – then I would be okay leaving them together. They play for hours on end (no rough play) – so it can’t be fear?

Any advice is highly appreciated!!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm betting on marking territory, or anxiety, or possibly a UTI or other infection. Was he checked when he was neutered? I'd suggest taking him back in, actually, as he has swelling at the surgery site, since there are no more testicles. If you are seeing "them", it is actually swelling, and that could well be the problem. If there is swelling, there is infection, and that would cause pain, which would cause peeing in an inappropriate area (and he's going in soft places). Have that checked first, and right away.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I wonder what testicle-like things you are seeing there! Hopefully once you clear that up, the urinating will stop.

Also wanted to say that yelling at cat or punishing them or forcing them to smell the urine is only going to work against you. Most likely they won't understand, and if whoever is urinating out of the box is doing it out of stress, this will only increase their stress, and, most likely, the inappropriate toileting.

If the swelling isn't the problem that is causing the inappropriate urinating, it sounds like the kitten just hasn't figured out the whole litter box deal yet.

How many litter boxes do you have? The kitten is very small--do you have a few small ones for him as well? Where are your litter boxes located? Are they hoodless? Have you experimented with different litters?

Once you've sorted out the swelling, I would start by decreasing the amount of space the kitten has access to, and increasing the amount of litter boxes in that space. How many litter boxes do you have in your bedroom? Bedrooms can be difficult places for cats to learn how to use the litter box because there are so many spots where they can urinate inappropriately (under the bed, on top of laundry, all the places your kitten has urinated, etc., etc.) But, if the bedroom is the kitten's home base for now, I would get a few different kitten sized litter boxes and a couple of different types of litter for him to try (dr. Elsey's makes a kitten litter I believe.) I would also put something waterproof (like a tarp or a shower curtain) on your bed for now to both discourage the inappropriate urinating and to protect your things. (This is only temporary!) I would close any closet doors, pick up all the laundry and anything else that he might urinate on in the bedroom (empty cardboard boxes, piles of things on the floor.)

He's so young--I think he just needs a little more time to figure out the litter box and a few more options.

Please keep us posted, and let us know if you have any other questions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Shower Curtain - Great Idea Getting one now.

Right now I have 2 litter boxes (which I clean daily) - they are hooded. I can remove hood from them. But I'm pretty positive he has peed there because the pad (aka diaper like item) has fluid in there. I can replace the pads again (to make sure).

As for punishment - honestly, this is why I need a new vet - they all seem more in tune with dogs. He actually even told me to "flick" their forehead as well. I honestly can't get myself to do that - so I just firmly tell them "bad cat" while having them sniff the pee spot - sounds like that's the wrong thing to do.

My thing is - if the cat knows where to poop (Siamese cat consistently pooping in the box - since I scoop daily) - then shouldn't he know that's where you pee?

Per the breeder - she had him neutered the Monday before I picked him up so Nov 25 - see images. I'm not sure those are standard size testicles or not... but none of my previous male cats had them this large. What do you guys think?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to try a different litter, a clay-based clumping litter. if cats are not used to pellets they often go anywhere but in the box. Sometimes they need to be confined when they are unsupervised to a small room, like a bathroom or utility room until they consistently use the box too. Later, when everyone gets along and he is older, slowly start adding some pellets to his litter until you change over. Like a small amount every two weeks or so in an increasing amount. Some cats just hate pellets!

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahhh vets sometimes!!!!! You aren’t even supposed to do that while toilet training a dog anymore. Any kind of negative response to their toileting teaches them not to do it in front of you, which is a problem bc you want your dog to be comfortable going to the bathroom when you walk them, etc. Anyways, back to cats!

Some cats don’t like to poop where they urinate and vice versa. I’m sure he knows that he can urinate in the litter box, but maybe not that that’s not the only place he should be going.

di and bob’s litter suggestion is great! A nice sandy unscented litter might encourage more usage. They make a litter called “cat attract” which is supposed to attract cats to it. You could leave the hoods on your other litter boxes, but then add a few more standard/simple options while your kitten is still learning. Maybe some smaller boxes strategically placed around your bedroom.

He’s beautiful! It’s been a long time since I’ve looked that closely at a male cat’s testicles, so I am not sure if that is normal or not. Does that testicular pouch(?) usually shrink? Hopefully other people with more male cat experience can weigh in!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is Oriental so they are a little more pronounced because of his thin build and short hair. He might have had like a vasectomy where the testicles are not removed. It may be a little swelling going on there too.