New Kitten Parents - 7 Weeks Old

ferdicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, brand new to the site as lately it has been one of my primary sources for kitten research!

My boyfriend and I recently took in a kitten that one of our best friend's family friend's cat had. We were initially told that the kitten would be 8 weeks old prior to being separated from mom and siblings, but based on the birth date the family conveyed to us, he was only about 6 weeks old when we took him in. We both knew that this was quite a bit early, but didn't have much option as the other kittens were all being adopted as well (the pregnancy was unexpected so I assume that with two young children and a hectic life they couldn't keep up with the litter of five). He's weaned and uses the litter box very well -- we've only had one accident thus far (RIP to our down comforter), though it was our mistake as we trusted his use of the litter box a bit much and moved the box from the bedroom to the bathroom (we now have one in each room, and we live in about a 330sq ft space in NYC so no accidents since :D). He's a wonderful little angel, doesn't get into too much mischief, is very friendly with others, very serious about play time, and always snuggles with us during naps and at night!

We do unfortunately both work long days, 9-6PM. We usually get up early to play with him and feed him his wet food (we do a combination of wet & dry food, and feed him the food that he began eating after weaning, Blue Wilderness), and leave him in the bedroom with all toys, his tower, food & water, some animal planet show, and the litter box when we leave. We try not to make too much a deal about it so he doesn't pick up on our energy-- though it breaks our hearts, and we usually just find him snoozing in the little tower when we come home. We also both work fairly close so we alternate coming home during the lunch hour to feed him, play with him, and give him pets. We also have our friends come and babysit if for some reason we plan to be gone longer than the work day, so he's not alone. Once we're home from work, we spend the entire evening with him until bedtime-- around 11-12AM. He's always very excited to see us, is constantly purring around us, is excited to explore the apartment, uses the bathroom any time we do (it's as if us going to the bathroom reminds him-- Oh yeah i gotta do that too! :lol:), and is generally very well tempered.

We've taken him to the vet to be tested for the scary stuff, and he started his shots last week (at 7 weeks, he is 8 weeks Friday). He's perfectly healthy and tested negative for FIV, Feline Leukemia, worms, etc. Though it goes without saying he didn't like the vet too much. He was perfectly fine in the carrier-- he's good with traveling to new places we've found-- but when the doctor was examining him he was meowing something awful. I was a bit offended because she mentioned that he may be one of those aggressive vet cats- but he wasn't at all a terror! Just meowing like he was uncomfortable, but not trying to escape or bite, just standing still while she looked. But I digress!

My intentions were to adopt one of his siblings as well for a buddy, but unfortunately that was not possible as the other kittens already had predetermined homes and our circumstances now with our landlord don't allow for it either. I try and do as much research as I can about legitimately everything he does to try and understand how I can be a better cat parent, but I was wondering if anyone else had any advice on how I can make him the happiest and most comfortable? I just want him to know how loved he is and for him to be happy in our home. I worry extensively about him growing up content, happy, and remaining the affectionate kitty that he is. I of course also want to teach him the appropriate kitty manners as he was separated too early-- any advice on this? We have the bad habit of spoiling him and letting him play with our hands and feet because he's just so dang cute- but we understand this may not be too cute when he doesn't learn how hard its appropriate to bite.

Any and all help and advice is beyond appreciated!!

(Also made him an instagram because I couldn't keep the cuteness to myself-- @ferdinandthecatnyc)

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You'll want to use a soft toy instead of your hands and feet, definitely.

When the teething starts (around 3-4 months) try a washcloth (well rinsed if you use scented dryer sheets) wetted and partially frozen for him to chew on to help ease the discomfort.

The optimum feeding schedule is three or four meals of wet food with some kibble left out all day, so you sound like you're good there. Lots of food at least until he's a year old, maybe longer :)

He sounds wonderful what a cutie! You could possibly try a heartbeat toy in his napping area although he sounds very well adjusted. I'm glad he has you!!

First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – Cat Articles

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome it sounds like you've done your homework for your little one. Furballsmom has given you some good advice about the hands and good suggestions aswell. It seems to me you are being a wonderful mum to your fur baby. So all that is left for me to say is he's absolutely gorgeous I love ginger cat's who could resist that face.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are a wonderful kitty parent! If there is something you absolutely want him to do, he can't figure it out; show him a video of a cat doing what you want.

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww, such a cutie! My cat also liked biting us when he was a kitten (my mother thought it was cute, until she was only able to play with him in gloves). Since he became 1 years old he calmed down, and now he never bites. But your kitten is very small so you shouldn't encourage him (no matter how cute he is) because he doesn't have a mom or siblings to help him learn how to bite without causing pain, and you don't want him to learn that on you.
Dry food is really important, we usually give our cats wet food 3 times a day (for a kitten he needs to eat way more than that) but they always have dry food and water. You should try different brands and types of cat food, because they can get bored with the same food really fast. When he starts developing a taste try figuring out his favorites (mine's chicken and duck) and least favorite (mine's fish he isn't even willing to look at anything with fish in it). Also if you gave him cooked meat once in a while that will help his development and growth. He might like milk once in a while especially since he was separated from his mother early. There is special milk made for cats, but lactose free milk products should be fine too. Little snacks for vitamins or dental health etc. are also great.
6 weeks is early, but depending on how developed he is you might not have to worry too much about kitty manners. He might be clumsy with washing himself until he is older, so watch out for that, but other than that and the play agression/biting thing I don't think that he will have behavioral issues. For calming him down if you brush him it might feel like his mother is bathing him, which is relaxing for him, also try figuring out if he likes mint (not just catnip) my cat really likes to rub on things that smell good to him, but not every cat cares about it. Oh one more thing, if there is a place in the house that you don't want him to be (f.e. kitchen counter, tables) teach that to him very early one, because just like with the biting, with a tiny cat it's cute, with a big one it's annoying. (Sorry for writing this much, I hope I was able to help in someway).