New kitten panic attacks

Jessiep25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I'm a 26 year old PhD student living in a 1 bedroom apartment on my own.

10 days ago I 'adopted' a 16 week old kitten from a family of 6 (4 young kids) who had a dog that was bullying her - she had been with them since 10 weeks old. I had tried for 3 months to get a cat through the local shelter but because of the pandemic their usual procedures are not in place and also they just don't get many indoor only cats.

At the moment because of corona I do home office in the mornings and go into work for 5 hours in the afternoon, I plan to continue this untill she is 6 months old and eating 2 meals a day when I will go to work for a full day. At weekends I sometimes have to pop to the office for a couple hours but otherwise I'm at home. I shut her out of my bedroom at night because I need to be able to sleep.

She seems to have settled in well so far. Eating like a champ, no accidents outside the litter. I think I'm taking more time to adjust than her.

My problem is I'm so anxious. I had 2 panic attacks yesterday about her, I worry that she's not getting enough interaction from me and that she'd be better off somewhere with someone who can be home more.

We have 2 hours one on one together in the morning when we play and snuggle. I feed her at 8:30am then I start work. I play with her and feed her again at 12 right before I leave for the office. And as soon as I return home (sometime between 5 and 6) we play and snuggle. She get a good couple of play sessions (probably totaling 45/60 mins) before being fed at 8pm. We chill/play untill 10:30pm when I start getting ready for bed.

My apartment is about 350sq ft with the bedroom door shut (I keep it shut all the time so she doesn't get confused about being allowed in there sometimes and not others) and she has the run of the place, she has 2 multi teird cat trees, a radiator bed and two big windows to watch the people and cars going by on the street, a cave bed and plenty of toys. Also 4 water bowls at various places around the space. Her litter box is in the bathroom and she uses it very well. Shes relatively well behaved,a little mischievous but that's to be expected from a 4 month old

I know a lot of poeple say two kittens are better than one but in the space I have it is not possible. My landlord gave me permission for one cat only.

Is my stress and anxiety irrational? Did I do the right thing by bringing her home? Will she grow up lonely and poorly adjusted if after 6 months we're only spending 7 or so hours together? Will she adapt if/when I have to move apartments in a couple of years?

I'm barely eating, I feel on edge around her the whole time. I just want to do what's best for her and worry that I'm not.

Any advice you can give me on overcoming these guilt and shame feelings would be much appreciated!
J

BNE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please, please do not be anxious! You have absolutely nothing to worry about! You are giving your kitten so much time with you - waaaaaaay more than I or the average person - I'm serious! I have foster kittens (6 - 10 weeks old) able to stay home for up to 8 hours every day and to be honest, they just sleep the whole time. Cats sleep for around 16 Hours a day, so your kitty will just be getting its sleep while you're not with her.

You are a doing a great job!

Moggielady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I am so glad you found this website. I have been super anxious about my new kitten too (he is 4 just over months) and how my other cat is adjusting to him, and people on this site have been SO helpful and reassuring. I also worry about my kitten not getting enough time with me but we've had him 5 weeks now and I am definitely getting more relaxed about it. He needs to sleep a lot, and I don't think I quite realised that at first! I thought he would want to be out and playing for hours at a time. And he does, but it's actually not good for him to be 'out' roaming freely for too long: he gets bitey and overstimulated, a bit like a kid who needs a nap. Now I play with him for a couple of hours in the morning. Then he crashes and sleeps for 4 hours. Then we have another maybe two or three hours together. Then I pop him back in his safe room and he sleeps again. And he comes out for a couple of hours in the evening. Overnight he just sleeps for ten hours straight. So please don't worry, I think you are doing really well and your kitty will be just fine!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I see absolutely nothing wrong with what you're doing. You should be proud of yourself and your progress!
IF you're still a bit anxious and you want to do more, there are "cat DVDs" you can play on your tv while you're not home (as long as kitty can't tackle over your TV). Some cats watch TV and others don't (I have 2 who do and 3 who don't), but it's additional enrichment just in case.
Either way, take a deep breath. You've got this!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
your doing fine i live in a single bedroom apartment also graycie isnt allowed free run of the bedroom either she has learned and is ok with being allowed in there now and then your a phd student still :lol:be sure to save alot of what your working on with your pc :lol: my gf has lost a paper or two during her doctorate program from graycie walking across her pc keyboard when she stepped away for a second:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessiep25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your reassurance! I'm feeling a lot better about everything after reading your responses!

I still worry about her when I'm at work - when I get home in the evenings I can hear her crying from the other side of my front door. I wonder if she is doing this everytime someone enters my apartment building (I'm on the ground floor right by the entrance) she doesn't react to that noise usually when I'm home. Or perhaps she's crying the whole time I am gone. It breaks my heart to hear her little meows in the hallway :(

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fellow PhD student! I hope you don't mind me being a little amused at your post because this is EXACTLY how I felt when I adopted my first cat! Stress and anxiety is completely normal when you're a doctorate student, it's easy to project it all over the place. It sounds like you're doing amazing. You've given this kitten a loving home and SO many toys and places to climb. I'm not sure if this aligns with how you're feeling, but I also got so overwhelmed at having this living, breathing creature totally dependent on me for love and survival. especially when you first adopt a new pet and are still bonding with them, the prospect of having them for over a decade and trying to do the best for them can be daunting. All of those feelings are completely normal but at the same time wrong — you're already a wonderful cat owner, and you and your kitten are going to develop a special, personal relationship over the following months and years.

To give my two cents about some of your more specific questions. Cats do great alone. Spending 7 hours with her is fantastic. My cats have been so snuggly since I've started working from home more during the pandemic, but they also spend a ton of time by themselves sleeping alone and ignoring me. She's going to adjust just fine, cats sleep a ton and while they aren't as independent as they're usually stereotyped, they definitely have their own schedules. And they adjust to new places great! I've moved during my PhD program just across town and my cats did wonderful. I also have friends who have graduated from the program and taken their cats with them, in cars and on planes. She'll do great if/when you move, she has you! :heartshape:

Edited to add: If you're concerned about her being alone, consider investing in a pet cam — mine cost around $50 which wasn't bad at all for being hooked up to my phone and able to rotate. It might give you some peace of mind to know she's snoozing the day away or playing by herself while you're not there, and then you'd also be able to see how often she's meowing at the door.

Edit edit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XG2QYX9/?tag=thecatsite Here's the link to the one I have, I love it!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no she just knows your there graycie can here my gf as she is walking in the hall towards our door your girl might mew a lil after you leave but cats arent like dogs howling etc. when they get left at home :lol:you can leave a dirty shirt or pair of sweaty stinky socks out to keep her company though:lol:graycie seems to like rolling on my gf stuff or sleeping on her pillow while she is gone all day at work.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are actually VERY independent animals. When you aren't home she is most likely sleeping. I am home all the time and probably don't spend that much time with my adult cats, I am outside when I can be. I notice when I am inside, like now, they are sleeping most of the day. As soon as I sit down they are on my lap, though, and they all 3 sleep with us.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Edited to add: If you're concerned about her being alone, consider investing in a pet cam — mine cost around $50 which wasn't bad at all for being hooked up to my phone and able to rotate. It might give you some peace of mind to know she's snoozing the day away or playing by herself while you're not there, and then you'd also be able to see how often she's meowing at the door.

Edit edit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XG2QYX9/?tag=thecatsite Here's the link to the one I have, I love it!
I want to put a cat cam in my house, but then I can't come home and assume it was a rogue tornado that made the mess and let the cats off the hook 🤣

Jessiep25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
got so overwhelmed at having this living, breathing creature totally dependent on me for love and survival. especially when you first adopt a new pet and are still bonding with them, the prospect of having them for over a decade and trying to do the best for them can be daunting.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there, I'd been planning this for months and so rather naively I expected the adjustment to be easier! I think its just been a bit of a shock to the system. I've also just ordered a little camera on amazon - I figure it will help me somewhat get over the stress of worrying if she's okay when I'm at work.

I think at the end of the day we just need a bit more time to get used to each other and get into our routine together.

Jessiep25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no she just knows your there graycie can here my gf as she is walking in the hall towards our door your girl might mew a lil after you leave but cats arent like dogs howling etc. when they get left at home :lol:you can leave a dirty shirt or pair of sweaty stinky socks out to keep her company though:lol:graycie seems to like rolling on my gf stuff or sleeping on her pillow while she is gone all day at work.
Yeah, I assume/hope it's just because she's learning what I sound like when I come in the main entrance and knows that it means I'll be in soon! I am getting into the routine of feeding her immediately before I leave so she's usually eating as I shut the door behind me, that helps ease my guilt a little because I cant immediately hear her crying!

BNE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's excellent news! I'm so glad that the situation has improved!

Jessiep25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's excellent news! I'm so glad that the situation has improved!
So am I! I won't lie I'm still very anxious and stressed but reading the notes that say I'm not completely failing as a new cat mum are very reassuring and make me more optimistic that in time these feelings will lessen!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All new parents, human, kitten, puppy, etc. feel this way. If you didn't, then that means you've been there done it before. no one starts out knowing everything there is to have a relationship with a cat, and each one is different. Routine is the key to familiarity, you'll get there, it just takes time. don't try to look into the future, you can't. Just take one day at a time.......

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your reassurance! I'm feeling a lot better about everything after reading your responses!

I still worry about her when I'm at work - when I get home in the evenings I can hear her crying from the other side of my front door. I wonder if she is doing this everytime someone enters my apartment building (I'm on the ground floor right by the entrance) she doesn't react to that noise usually when I'm home. Or perhaps she's crying the whole time I am gone. It breaks my heart to hear her little meows in the hallway :(
She's probably not crying the whole time. Neko-chan cries when one of us leaves, but settles down quickly. She starts up again when she heard our keys jingle at the door. She's probably just saying hello and telling you about her day.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have an uncanny way of telling time. She will quickly learn your schedule and know when you are coming. My cats come and get me when it's bedtime, and are there every morning right in my face at the same time every morning when it is time to get up. The only bad thing is they dont account for days off!

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you've hit the nail on the head there, I'd been planning this for months and so rather naively I expected the adjustment to be easier! I think its just been a bit of a shock to the system. I've also just ordered a little camera on amazon - I figure it will help me somewhat get over the stress of worrying if she's okay when I'm at work.

I think at the end of the day we just need a bit more time to get used to each other and get into our routine together.
That's completely normal, both of you are still adjusting! I was so worried my anxiety would keep me from bonding with my first cat (my icon hehe) but I just needed time to get over that "first time pet owner" stress! I hope the camera helps. :redheartpump: You should post a picture of your new kitty, we love seeing people's cats here! What's her name?

Jessiep25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am a bit worried she is starting to show signs of separation anxiety - in her previous home where she was from 10-16 weeks she was pretty much never on her own with a dog and 4 young kids in the family.

I'm hoping that by sticking to a routine and trying to desensitise to me coming and going she will grow out of this because I really can't alter my schedule. I'm trying to do this by removing the connection between me leaving and things like putting my shoes one, the keys turning in the lock e.t.c also waiting untill I hear her stop crying from behind the door to come in.

Fingers crossed she settles in soon because it breaks my heart to hear her crying 😭.

Meet Sky!

(thank you all for giving me an outlet for all this anxiety - sometimes it's good just to get it off my chest!)

IMG_20210125_154632.jpg