New kitten not sometimes not using litterbox.

classic67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted 2 new kittens and they are now 14 weeks old. We've been to the vet and they are healthy and thriving, but one occasionally urinates outside the litterbox, on a pile of laundry, on the piddle pads I have under the litterboxes and today on my drapes which were "puddled" on the floor. I know he uses the litterbox most of the time. His brother has no problems using the box. Any thoughts?

KittyBeanbag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since you said he used it most of the time it sounds like a behavior issue as opposed to a training issue. I'm guessing it's the same spots over and over again like the laundry. Try getting these things off the floor. But also put a litter box every place he has gone potty. Yes. Every single place. As he uses them you can gradually reduce the amount of litter boxes but you should have +1 litterbox for the amount of cats you have. So if you have 2 cats you need a minimum of 3 litter boxes. If you have 3 cats you need a minimum of 4 litter boxes.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
AND pick up a bottle of a good enzymatic cleaner for every thing he has piddled on. HE can smell it, even if you can't, and it will attract him back to the same spot.