New Kitten not eating

nile82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I am new here. The reason i registered is because last night I adopted a 9 week old siamese kitten. I followed the steps given to introduce a new cat to a household, but I am worried becuase the kitten doesn´t seem to be eating... I have given him the same brand food and type that he was given at his previous home and yet he still doesn´t seem to be eating. He is also unusally skittish which seems odd since I have had siamese cats in the past and none have reacted like this one. If anyone can give me some tips on how to get the kitten to eat and to be less skittish i would really appreciate it. Thank you very Much

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to give you baby more time. It sounds like she is just frightened. Some kitties take longer than others. I would just sit and talk to her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nile82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply...I have been doing that and he has been more receptive towards me and other members of the family, what i am really worried about is that he is not eating...should i try another food or something?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to isolate him in a small room, such as an extra bathroom, with his food, water, and litter box. He needs to feel absolutely safe in order to eat normally. Also, being like that can give you the opportunity to check his litter box. If there's output, there's input.

You might try some especially smelly wet food, if nothing else works.

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats and kittens often have an adjustment period after a big change. They may not eat or use the litter box for a couple of days. Do everything you can to help the kitten feel safe and sheltered. This usually means confining the kitten to a crate or small room, with a box or bed to hide in. Get down on its level when you interact: you're as big as King Kong to that tiny creature.

Lowering its stress level should help, and others here have been giving you the right tips.

If the kitten still isn't eating in a couple of days, you need to consult your vet.

Certainly try some other foods if the not-eating continues after the kitten settles down. Our kitten was losing weight during her first few weeks with us because she wasn't eating her Royal Canin kitten chow, which is what her shelter gave us, telling us that she liked it.

She didn't. She wasn't thriving.

Our vet told us to try other foods. We tried a bowl of roasted chicken breast and she adored it. Ate like a fiend. Gained a pound in less than a week. We switched her to Science Diet kitten food and canned foods and she picked up all the weight she needed.

Good luck!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you for adopting a young kitten! Nine weeks old is very, very young and many say too young to be separated from Mom, but you can be a surrogate! Get your little one a stuffed animal friend for companion. Confine the kitty to a small area like a spare bedroom, if you have one, or your bedroom. Leave food, water, toys, and litter out where kitty can find them.

It's VERY common for new kitties to not eat or potty for up to 24 hours or more. They're in a new environment with new sounds, new smells, and new people! Play some soft instrumental music for your little one. Don't force the kitty to come out of hiding or pick it up. Let it come to you. Sit on the floor near the kitty and read to it. Invite the kitty to play with you by using a feather or toy on a wand. You can also use straws and wads of paper tied to a string. Just drag the toy around to get kitty's attention.

Be patient and let it happen. You'll soon have a little cuddle bug on your hands.

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have heard some very good opinions.

Every kitten reacts differently. I adopted 2 kittens of then 10 weeks (Cheetah) and 9 weeks (Panther) 3 months ago. Cheetah is a very laid back dude, he checked out the place right away, and ran to the bowl of food after his playing.

Panther hide under the sofa for almost 2 hours. When he came out, he hide in the farthest corner from us and ran away if we went close to him. We put the food bowl near the sofa, so he came a little out of his comfort zone to have some food. It took Panther almost 3 days to let my brother to pick him up, more than a week for me. And now he has separation anxiety.

As you see my 2 cats are really really friendly, and still took them more than a few days to get used to my 2 bedroom small home. So it is not uncommon that some cats will take longer. I would think some boiled chicken breast as treats left in a plate will be good to get your kitty starts eating. Just do not guard the plate, your kitty maybe a little more comfortable to be left alone at this time.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good advice so far. Holland was a kitten when I adopted her (although she was 5 months, nothing like the 9-week-old you got!) and I was instructed to put her food, water & litter box in one room and to keep her confined there, especially when I wasn't home. Having a small area to become accustomed to at first will help your little one feel safe.

As for the skittishness - my Holland is VERY skittish. She hid under the desk when I met her at the shelter. She hides when anyone comes to my house. I didn't even touch her until I got her home. She is afraid of any human who isn't ME. Don't think that breed (Siamese) has anything to do with your kitty's disposition. I'm glad to hear she's warming up to other people though. Sometimes I wish Holland would be more of a "people cat", but at the same time, it's (selfishly) nice to know that I'm the one person she trusts in this world.

I hope your little one is eating by now, as they say - if she's hungry enough, she'll eat.

adnan 14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi I am new I bought a new 7 month old kitten from my grandma.but now it doesn't eat or drink by self. so I am syringe feeding him.but that is also getting harder. I cant even feed him properly because he keeps running and jumping. he also keeps meowing in every 5 tp 10 minutes. what can I do? please someone help me. I am an un experienced new cat owner.