New Kitten Likes Cat. Cat Not Keen.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to disagree with other posters on this one, IfYouSeeLaura IfYouSeeLaura and suggest you give it a bit more time. But it's your call. You might start with leaving them at large for just a short period of time and seeing how that goes. But yes, eventually they'll be together. As long as each cat has access to safe spots up high or otherwise away from the other cat, it should be okay and if it's not, you'll know soon enough and can do a re-introduction (see Jackson Galaxy for this). Best of luck!!!

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found that your own dirty sock, placed on your hand and rubbed all over the kitten, can do wonders for helping an adult cat accept a newcomer, though it sounds like you're past the initial stages. It may help with the post-spay reintroduction though?

Also, agreeing with the swiping not being an issue. We had an orphaned kitten that we introduced to our adult, spayed cat. Tiger, the adult, obviously wasn't thrilled, but tolerated the kitten and would escape to higher surfaces when she'd had enough. While the kitten was tiny, Tiger would make the "I'm going to rip your face off growl" sometimes, but made no aggressive motions besides lashing her tail more. ...which the kitten got excited about, as her favorite activity was pouncing on Tiger's plumed tail. :lol:

Kilana, the kitten, very clearly did NOT understand the rip your face off growl was a warning, as Kilana began making this growl as a play invitation, complete with happy kitten play body language and occasionally interspersed purl meows and other sounds she made when playing...and the play bow the dog made when he wanted to play fetch. It was so strange to hear such an aggressive warning sound from a cheerfully playful kitten bringing you her catnip mouse to toss, but orphaned kittens tend to be a bit odd.

Eventually, Kilana got to that gangly teenager stage, at which point Tiger decided to teach her proper manners, and started hissing and swatting when Kilana didn't respect her other hints. No claws were involved, but Kilana did go spinning across the kitchen floor like a hockey puck several times before she finally managed to put the clues together and realize Tiger DIDN'T like having her tail pounced on and bitten. Once Kilana had gone a few rounds with the clue bat/paw, she got a lot better at figuring out the more subtle hints and the hockey puck imitations decreased. We'd seen Tiger engage in actual fights before, and the body language was noticeably different when she was in Dominance Fight/Protect Territory mode and Correct the Kitten mode. I wouldn't worry about your cat knocking sense into your kitten, even if it seems like she wallops her fairly hard, so long as she doesn't pursue and continue the attack, or bite.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found that your own dirty sock, placed on your hand and rubbed all over the kitten, can do wonders for helping an adult cat accept a newcomer, though it sounds like you're past the initial stages. It may help with the post-spay reintroduction though?

Also, agreeing with the swiping not being an issue. We had an orphaned kitten that we introduced to our adult, spayed cat. Tiger, the adult, obviously wasn't thrilled, but tolerated the kitten and would escape to higher surfaces when she'd had enough. While the kitten was tiny, Tiger would make the "I'm going to rip your face off growl" sometimes, but made no aggressive motions besides lashing her tail more. ...which the kitten got excited about, as her favorite activity was pouncing on Tiger's plumed tail. :lol:

Kilana, the kitten, very clearly did NOT understand the rip your face off growl was a warning, as Kilana began making this growl as a play invitation, complete with happy kitten play body language and occasionally interspersed purl meows and other sounds she made when playing...and the play bow the dog made when he wanted to play fetch. It was so strange to hear such an aggressive warning sound from a cheerfully playful kitten bringing you her catnip mouse to toss, but orphaned kittens tend to be a bit odd.

Eventually, Kilana got to that gangly teenager stage, at which point Tiger decided to teach her proper manners, and started hissing and swatting when Kilana didn't respect her other hints. No claws were involved, but Kilana did go spinning across the kitchen floor like a hockey puck several times before she finally managed to put the clues together and realize Tiger DIDN'T like having her tail pounced on and bitten. Once Kilana had gone a few rounds with the clue bat/paw, she got a lot better at figuring out the more subtle hints and the hockey puck imitations decreased. We'd seen Tiger engage in actual fights before, and the body language was noticeably different when she was in Dominance Fight/Protect Territory mode and Correct the Kitten mode. I wouldn't worry about your cat knocking sense into your kitten, even if it seems like she wallops her fairly hard, so long as she doesn't pursue and continue the attack, or bite.
When I was small, I once pulled the fluffy tail of my beloved cat. Fortunately, my mom saw this and she came over and yanked my hair hard enough so that it hurt. When I reacted, she said, "See? That's how it feels when you pull his tail!" I never did that again, and Life Lesson #1 was learned. That's the same way cats teach kittens. Much wisdom there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IfYouSeeLaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought I'd just post a quick update on Belle and Lilo! We've been leaving them both alone together through the day and they've been absolutely fine! They've started to play with each other and I've woken up a few times during the night to find them both laid on me, very nearly touching. They're still a bit cautious around each other, but the hissing has completely stopped. I'm so happy that they're getting along!

Thank you all so much for your advice!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd just post a quick update on Belle and Lilo! We've been leaving them both alone together through the day and they've been absolutely fine! They've started to play with each other and I've woken up a few times during the night to find them both laid on me, very nearly touching. They're still a bit cautious around each other, but the hissing has completely stopped. I'm so happy that they're getting along!

Thank you all so much for your advice!!
*Time, love, and patience are key* and so happy to read this great progress report, IfYouSeeLaura IfYouSeeLaura ! :yess: