New Kitten, Ivy is not happy, PLEASE HELP?

SlightlyIvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I’ve been wanting a kitten for awhile. Mostly for myself to be honest. I love my Ivy to death and I’m so pleased with her, but she doesn’t ever want to cuddle me and doesn’t really like me petting her. I figured since she was a mom before I adopted her and since she’s still pretty young herself (two years or about) she would adjust to a kitten semi well.

I adopted a kitten yesterday, her name is Star and this morning she and Ivy hissed and growled under the door at each other. I’ve picked up some feliway multicat diffusers but it might take some time. They haven’t seen each other except for Star’s little arm under the door.

ivy continues to meow morosely and seems sadder than before - which is freaking me out. Both cats are eating, and drinking and using their boxes. I love Ivy so much I want her to behappy and I’d like to be happy too, but I’ll pick her over Star if I have to, which is what I told the adoption lady.
Any advice? I’m following Jackson Galaxys steps for introduction but I still want to cry. I’m not emotionally attached to this little animal and I’m worried about Ivy. If anyone has been through similar please assist????

Iceanddfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I'm going through the same process right now, and scoured this forum, but I have some pointers.

We are 8 days into adoption of a 10 week old kitten with resident 5 year old cat who was adopted at age 4, from a home with multiple cats/dogs.

Our resident cat got very depressed, stressed, and drastically reduced her food intake despite separating them, and even threw up. We monitored her eating and drinking very closely, provided lots of love. When she'd only eat 1 type of treat, that's what she got. After 3 days of picky eating (and a switch to baby food to keep her appetite up) she is now eating normally, cuddling again, and no longer depressed. She still occasionally hisses at our new kitten under the door when he's too loud, but that is not abnormal.

We got Feliway on day 3 did not see the effects for about 3 days. I think it's helping, but a little bit of patience is needed.

All in all I hope you don't give the kitten away. It isn't reasonable to expect that every cat adjusts within a week or even a few weeks, but what you can do is provide lots of support to your resident cat and approach the situation optimistically.

Hissing is normal. A little stress is normal. I really wish you good luck - keep in mind we're day 8 and the resident cat has only just started acting normal again, and there is still the occasional hiss with them separated - so where you're at is very promising :) Good luck!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So I’ve been wanting a kitten for awhile. Mostly for myself to be honest. I love my Ivy to death and I’m so pleased with her, but she doesn’t ever want to cuddle me and doesn’t really like me petting her. I figured since she was a mom before I adopted her and since she’s still pretty young herself (two years or about) she would adjust to a kitten semi well.

I adopted a kitten yesterday, her name is Star and this morning she and Ivy hissed and growled under the door at each other. I’ve picked up some feliway multicat diffusers but it might take some time. They haven’t seen each other except for Star’s little arm under the door.

ivy continues to meow morosely and seems sadder than before - which is freaking me out. Both cats are eating, and drinking and using their boxes. I love Ivy so much I want her to behappy and I’d like to be happy too, but I’ll pick her over Star if I have to, which is what I told the adoption lady.
Any advice? I’m following Jackson Galaxys steps for introduction but I still want to cry. I’m not emotionally attached to this little animal and I’m worried about Ivy. If anyone has been through similar please assist????
Give it time. I rescued Peaches 5 weeks old. Josie was 10. Josie was up set but quickly adjusted after a few days. They were cleaning each other for a long time

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with others it takes time for cat's to get along most of the time. It's very early day's be patient ivy will come round to the kitten. Just keep following what you are doing my daughter followed what Jackson Galaxy said with her two boy's and they love each other now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SlightlyIvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies everyone, it’s comforting to know other people are having similar issues.
Ivy has become stand-offish, but she’s eating and has been playful. Star is chilling in my room (there’s no other place to put her) and there have been regular play times for both of them.
I just don’t want to neglect either of them. They’re good girls, very gentle (with me anyway(.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, one day is one day, its going fine! And Feliway is probably throwing money into the air. Its remarkable how they sell so much of that without any evidence at all it works. Well, same with cough syrup I guess, where the evidence is clear it does nothing, but people keep buying the garbage.

Anyway, rant aside, here is the introduction guide:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

My catsMaggie and Peaches do not like to cuddle I bought baby blankets on Amazon and they will let me pick them up and put on my lap. Cats love blankets. They kneed thier paws on it. Very cozy

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It takes time and patience but its well worth it. Let Ivy and Star set the pace, it may take a week or a month but Ivy is young and thats in her favour. She needs to get used to this newcomer in her territory and the new smell of Star. Let us know how it is going.

SlightlyIvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, today is going okay so far. Ivy didn’t eat last night, but she also didn’t meow all night long outside my door, so sort of progress? She did eat this morning, thank the good Lord.
Star continues to vex her though, she hisses loudly And growls whenever Star has the audacity to poke her arm under the door.
No thought of introductions yet. The shelter I adopted Star from gave me all her medical paperwork and as I understand it, she’s UTD on what she can be for her age (11wks). But I worry that they might have missed something and Ivy might catch it. So i think I’ll need to get star to my vet before any serious interaction happens.

SlightlyIvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So today dawned bright and early and I’m having some serious reservations.
ivy is eating, not as well as usual but she is eating and that’s important.
star is as most kittens, a rambunctious ball of energy. We play with her three times a day, 15 minutes at a time and it’s still not enough. She’s all in my things and chewing books and I can’t be in my own room for anything other than sleep andchanging clothes.
I was worried about her being too much for Ivy but she might be too much for me. I did research but research is one thing and experience is another. Even if I manage to stick out the introduction, what will it be like when she’s in the rest of my house? Will she just run around and tear things up? Ivy never has. I’m kind of missing my old quiet routine.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens are a bundle of energy but they calm down. She is most probably chewing books etc because she may be teething. When Ivy and Star accept each other, her energy will be spent playing with Ivy, she will teach Star where the boundaries are.

SlightlyIvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Evening
I’ve begun rubbing socks on my cats and leaving their socks with the opposing cats. They display indifference. Ivy still hisses under my door, but I’ve tried to mature some positive associations with the door but it’s not going Great.
It’s very stressful right now, I wish I could speed this up

SlightlyIvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Morning
So ivy refuses to eat her evening meal, which means in an effort to combat her histrionics I will be feeding her wet food in the morning and dry food at night. Reverse things. I found a long brown thing in her poop this morning- a worm? She doesn’t act like she has worms, she’s actually getting a little chubby. It could have been brown because it in fact came from her butt so I’ll alert the vet on Friday.
Star is Star. An hour of playtime last night, and she still had zoomies.
In spite of all my efforts to build positive associations with the door, Ivy. Continues to hiss and growl whenever she smells Star.

SlightlyIvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, to those reading who’ve been through this, at what tone can start site switching? Like putting ivy in my bedroom and letting Star into the house?? They don’t readily notice the socks in leaving out anger ivy still hisses at the door so I just want to move this along if possible? I’ve been reading the intro process I just don’t know at what point I should be moving.
Also I haven’t slept well on a couple of days, I really want Star out of my room

SlightlyIvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

to any and all following my thrilling saga (with special thanks to all who have commented and encouraged me)introductions are still in progress.
Ivy has been eating, but she’s purely sticking to dry food and I’m concerned. Glad she’s eating, really worried about her gut. Like I leave out wet food and she just refuses.
Star really wants to get out and is getting very lonely- which sucks for her. But we’ve started site switching, putting Ivy in my room and letting star out and about and Ivy didn’t really react to the room at all, other than sniffing around. She eventually just flopped over and sat for awhile.
Then later, she saw Star when she made a break for the door and just started hissing and howling a bit. She doesn’t sound like, full of rage, but I worry she’s a bit anxious.
So, a stand still? I’m trying to get Ivy to eat closer to the door but she keeps resisting. Star just REALLY wants out so I’m hoping I can get her a little more chill about it.
Is hissing normal during actual introductions? Should I expect something like that when I finally let them see each other?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When they do meet hissing can happen so don't worry as long as Ivy isn't trying to attack star. Star might also try and play but end up being put in her place again okay for Ivy to bat her away. They might ignore each other at first or stay opposite sides of the room. The best thing is take it slowly keep the room changing going my daughter did this for a couple of weeks and then put the kitten in a carrier and left him in it a few times a day, so they could see each other but not get to each other to fight. She did this for about a week or so then the kitten could start coming in for playtime it was a long process it took about six weeks in total before she thought she could leave them alone together. Sounds like it's going okay between your two don't get disheartened you can do this. Have you tried mixing some dry in with Ivy's wet or crushing up some of her favourite treats as a topper. Good luck.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can be a slow and frustrating process but you are doing all the right things. You could put an item of your clothing that you have worn in with star and then give it to ivy, that way it will have your smell on it as well as Star's which might help Ivy. Try putting some dry food on top of the wet for Ivy, not too much, just maybe a dozen pieces and she may eat it all.

SlightlyIvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for your replies, they are very helpful!

so for tonight, Ivy got agood eyeful ofStar and hissed and growled.When I got Star away Ivy proceeded to cave, which tells me she’s insecure and well, upset.
I’m taking her to the vet tomorrow and I’ll inform them of her lethargy, and general disinterest. That’s the other reason I wanted another cat, was to give Ivy some stimulation while I was away. But I’m thinking it might be best to take Star back to the shelter.
It’s a no-kill shelter, so she’ll be safe. I still
Hate to do it.
But Ivy isn’t eating and has started caving. It worries me. And Star could more easily be rehomed than Ivy.
I want Ivy healthy and happy, but it doesn’t seem worth it when she might not do more than tolerate another cat. She deserves the best life I can give her. Her foster mom was certain she doesn’t like other cats, she just seems so under stimulated most of the time. Like, not interested in much I mean.
I don’t know. I want to do right.