New kitten is trembling, really lazy, and not eating much

Salpal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.

I just adopted a new kitten on Monday and, the day I brought her home, I noticed that she was shaking a little bit. It felt like nerves or chills so I did my best to comfort her and warm her but it hasn't really stopped since that day. There are times when she is at rest and I don't feel it all but it always seems to come back.

She is also consuming very little food. The night I brought her home, she didn't eat any of the dry that I had out. Tuesday morning, I gave her some wet food and she gobbled it right down. She ate again Tuesday afternoon but it was a very small amount and then didn't eat again until this morning. She also rarely seeks food herself and I have to take her to it.

In addition to all of this, she's really lazy and wobbly on her feet. Shows interest in toys, will chase a little bit, but won't attack. She primarily just wants to sit on me or in her little tent.

A few things:
She is 8 weeks old and 1.6lbs.
She just received the FVRCP vaccine on Monday.
I had her vet check her out yesterday afternoon and he didn't see anything concerning.
She is very attached to humans, wants to be around us, and isn't hiding.
When she rests, she is very happy. Purrs, long arm stretches, squinty.
She was conspitated Monday and yesterday morning but the wet food she ate helped and she seems normal on that front now.
She also drinks and pees normal.
At times, her tremble feels almost like a purr just without the sound. It kind of comes in waves that sync with her breathing, like a purr does. Is such a thing possible? I know she's capable of making purr noises.

My primary concern right now is her eating as I feel like she's too small and want to bulk her up a bit. Any advice on that would be helpful. Just anything to get her nutrients.
Any comments on the trembling would be helpful, too.

And just to note, I plan on calling her vet tomorrow if I make no progress tonight.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She is very young and lightweight for her age. If the vet didn’t notice anything her shakiness could just be fear. I would purchase a jar of pure chicken baby food, Beechnut brand preferably, and mix a dollop into her wet food. And I would set wet food out for her three times a day. I would also purchase some kitten replacement milk or goats milk to see if she will drink that. It is good for calories and also hydration. You can try hand feeding her also if she takes food better this way. And I would weigh her every day to make sure she is gaining. If not I would talk with your vet.

At this point she is your baby so if it calms her to carry her around or tuck her into your shirt I would do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Salpal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I'll try some of that out.

I ran home at lunch to check on her and she was sleeping right where I left her this morning. Instead of taking her to get food, I walked up to her dish and hoped she would follow.

She did and she ate a little more but lost interest again until I put her in my lap and started spoon feeding her. She ate a good amount do I'm going to do that again tonight.

She also peed and pooped again. Poop was a little dark so I stole it and am going to have the vet check it.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It think if she is still shaking it could be a reaction to the vaccine. Did you cat also get a flea medication, some flea medication can cause a reaction to the cat as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Salpal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just want to post a quick update:

I ended to taking her to the ER Wednesday night as I really didnt like where she seemed to be headed. She had a fever and they aren't sure of the cause. Physical exam was ok. They administered fluids and gave her some medicine.

Upon returning home from the ER, she lightly jogged from her carrier to her food dish and ate, which was the first time in 1.5 days that I didn't have to coax her. She slept until 3am and got up again on her own to eat. And again at 6am.

Her trembling was also either very slight or nonexistent.

I followed up with her regular Veterinarian on Thursday and found that the fever was gone, temperature was normal. She has a slight diarrhea issue that we are tackling. Shivers are gone. She's regularly going to her food dish and not sleeping all day. A pretty crazy turnaround.

I'm not sure what caused it but the theory seems to be that there was some kind of reaction to her FVRCP vaccine on Monday.
I'm not totally convinced but I'm watching her like a hawk and will get her taken care of asap if anything is wrong.