New kitten introduction

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I have a 2 year old female cat (spayed) and she has been my only cat for 2 years. When I’m at work she is doing nothing all day and I thought bringing a kitty friend may help her to socialize and be active.

So I adopted a 3 month old male cat 4 days ago. I cannot explain the tension in the house. My first cat is super anxious, he is hissing and growling even without seeing him. I read and watched tons of videos and articles about cat introductions, tried to do gradual slow steps, scent exchange, simultaneous wet food feeding etc but on day 4 she is still super stressed and acts like she is mad at me, doesn’t let me pet her. Normally she is a very cuddly cat. also she has a Feline corovirus infection which makes me afraid of the risk of FIP since she is constantly stressed.

The new kitty is doing fine, he is in a separate room, very playful and happy. No agression from his side so far.

So my question is do you have any advices to help this process?Is it going to get better or should I start looking for a new home for the new cat? I would appreciate any recommendation I am also very stressed

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Four days isn't much in the grand scheme of things in a cats life. Both times I had to introduce cats to each other adult to adult the first time, adult to kitten 2nd time) it took around 2 weeks before the resident cat was ok enough to be around the new cat.

Last time even when we were confident about allowing the kitten to start roaming the house it was under our supervision for a few weeks more. Our older girl was kind of pissy and stand-offish for a while even after she stopped hissing. She wasn't aggressive, but clearly annoyed by the kitten.

I wouldn't stress too much about it since it has not even been a week. Lower your expectations and continue to shower the older one with attention and treats. It's a big deal to have your territory invaded and will take some time for her to calm down and accept the kitten.

Just keep paying lots of attention to your older one, step up playtime and treats with snuggle time too if she enjoys it. You are doing everything right so far, just will take a bit more time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If this were me (I realize it's not) I would accept the fact that your resident cat was doing just fine as an only cat. Cats don't typically get lonely, and more than likely she slept while you were gone.

she is still super stressed and acts like she is mad at me, doesn’t let me pet her. Normally she is a very cuddly cat. also she has a Feline corovirus infection which makes me afraid of the risk of FIP
I would rethink things and return the new kitty before it becomes attached. Your resident cat and her comfort is your top priority.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Four days is NOTHING! And, at only four days, the kitten will do well either way...but you do have to make a decision quickly, and return the kitten if you think an introduction that may last weeks is beyond you.