New kitten introduction

Tabcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a kitten (Olivia) in my front yard and took her in( I've already taken her to the vet and bought all supplies necessary including cat litter boxes). I do however have an indoor cat already (April).
I introduced them slowly, as I read on many forums.
About 2 weeks in, April started playing with Olivia and not minding her presence too much. I even spoted some grooming and nose touching which I took as a good sign. Around the 3rd week, I started leaving Olivia out at night. Since they got along I figured it was good time to let them be alone while I slept.
Sadly, April disliked when Olivia slept on the bed with us. Even though they weren't that close. I've been doing this about every other night for a few days now and April is not having it.
She now does not like Olivia being near her and is more comfortable on nights Olivia is isolated.
It's like the progress has been pushed back because she doesnt want to share my bed.
Did I rush things? ShouId I start over and isolate Olivia every night? Was introducing Olivia during every other night a bad idea? How does one go about that?
Side note: April and Olivia dont fight during the night as far as I know, I go to bed very late and am a light sleeper. Even wake up when I hear random cat fights in my backyard. Basically the problem is April doesn't want to share sleeping time with me.(?)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think this sounds out of the norm. Your cats are getting along well but small hiccups can still happen.

When we got our kitten (now nearly 2-1/2) our older girl did the same thing as your older one - stopped sleeping with us for the most part since the kitten, by her own choice, slept with us nightly. But they were getting along well enough, no arguments or anything so we just didn't get worked up about it.

Things eventually evened out. Our older girl would come in sometimes and then, the younger one suddenly decided she didn't want to sleep with us anymore. Teenager year(s) LOL. So our older girl started coming in more often again.

Cats also like to switch up where they sleep a lot. Some more than others. The past few weeks neither of ours comes into the bedroom, except early morning to tag team and wake us up :lol:

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried swapping and having just one with you overnight at a time? Beds are some of the most high value territory in the house which is likely why April isn't fond of sharing. Having April spend every other night in Olivia's room (or another room) while Olivia sleeps with you will allow Olivia to get her scent on the bed more, and the nights April is with you it will allow her to get used to more and more of Olivia's scent in the bed without Olivia physically being there. I'd either do that or I'd have Olivia out every night since they aren't fighting.

I agree that as long as there's no fighting things are going fine and it will probably just be some time while they are working out territory in what sounds like a pretty peaceful way. But if you are worried it could turn into a fight, alternating nights is a possible solution. Either way it's likely they will figure out their individual favorite spots and will be able to tolerate being in the bed together with time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tabcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think this sounds out of the norm. Your cats are getting along well but small hiccups can still happen.

When we got our kitten (now nearly 2-1/2) our older girl did the same thing as your older one - stopped sleeping with us for the most part since the kitten, by her own choice, slept with us nightly. But they were getting along well enough, no arguments or anything so we just didn't get worked up about it.

Things eventually evened out. Our older girl would come in sometimes and then, the younger one suddenly decided she didn't want to sleep with us anymore. Teenager year(s) LOL. So our older girl started coming in more often again.

Cats also like to switch up where they sleep a lot. Some more than others. The past few weeks neither of ours comes into the bedroom, except early morning to tag team and wake us up :lol:
Thank you, this is reassuring and exactly what I was hoping to hear.
The only other experience I had was with introducing April to my first cat. And they got along much faster and smoother than these two . But all cats are different.
Here's hoping they become friends this time next year 🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tabcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried swapping and having just one with you overnight at a time? Beds are some of the most high value territory in the house which is likely why April isn't fond of sharing. Having April spend every other night in Olivia's room (or another room) while Olivia sleeps with you will allow Olivia to get her scent on the bed more, and the nights April is with you it will allow her to get used to more and more of Olivia's scent in the bed without Olivia physically being there. I'd either do that or I'd have Olivia out every night since they aren't fighting.

I agree that as long as there's no fighting things are going fine and it will probably just be some time while they are working out territory in what sounds like a pretty peaceful way. But if you are worried it could turn into a fight, alternating nights is a possible solution. Either way it's likely they will figure out their individual favorite spots and will be able to tolerate being in the bed together with time.
Thanks I will try this if anything goes awry. The last few nights I've woken up to both of them on the bed with me as a wall between them.
April is always more accepting of Olivia after time apart. Like when I go to work i keep them separate and when I get home they are rooming the house and even play together.
Perhaps I was over thinking the hiccup in progress, I tend to do this 😆