New Kitten Introduction

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
...We are becoming SO discouraged and stressed over this and feel we cannot trust our resident cat’s aggressive behavior at the end of the day. Any advise would be so appreciated. Thank you!!!
Hi L lily2021 ...welcome to the Cat Site. :wave3:
Don't be discouraged. Cat introductions sometimes take many weeks or months, but usually when kittens are involved, the process is much faster.

We can offer you a lot of advice.
Yet I would suggest that you make a 'new thread' here:
Cat Behavior
Just copy and paste from your post above, ...and give it another "title" which is different yet to the point, and catchy, too.
This way we keep Audrey and Elliot's thread separate from your cats' thread....or else I would get all confused on whose cat I'm talking about.
Does that make sense.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to come over to say that I think what you wrote in lily's thread is beautiful. :) :touched:
...Hang on in there. Everyone says that it can take a long time for cats to adjust so patience and I know it sounds stupid but it helps me to remember that they don't 'think' in the way that we do, i.e. Audrey is not up there in the bedroom meditating on how much she resents me for replacing her with a new kitten, she just instinctively wants to be sure that her food and water and litter tray are still hers, and eventually she will realise that and calm down. So I am trying to tell myself :)
So true. I don't think Audrey is meditating up in her room. Or resenting you at all. :blackcat: :catrub:
You'll see that one day, in the near future, ... Audrey will thank you for bringing Elliot into her life.
Of course, being a cat and all, ...she will act all indifferent...and probably deny all the drama. :blush:

It's just tough, because you are in the midst of it, now...and wish you could rationally sit down, and explain to Audrey...all of the good parts of having a kitten around, and that he will grow up and slow down.
...& I'd also say try to enjoy and be glad of the little moments that go well: playing with your kitten or getting some strokes with the resident cat.
:):touched::clover::yeah:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moggielady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to come over to say that I think what you wrote in lily's thread is beautiful. :) :touched:

So true. I don't think Audrey is meditating up in her room. Or resenting you at all. :blackcat: :catrub:
You'll see that one day, in the near future, ... Audrey will thank you for bringing Elliot into her life.
Of course, being a cat and all, ...she will act all indifferent...and probably deny all the drama. :blush:

It's just tough, because you are in the midst of it, now...and wish you could rationally sit down, and explain to Audrey...all of the good parts of having a kitten around, and that he will grow up and slow down.

:):touched::clover::yeah:
That's really sweet of you, Cat Nap, thank you. Yeah I wish I could just explain everything to her. Btw your emoji game is excellent! 👏

Moggielady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
emoji game??? I'm not sure what that is. :dunno:
But will now have to do some online googling. :running:
I just mean that the way you use the little smiley faces and moving characters in your posts is very elaborate and expressive, that's all! And you have perfectly illustrated that in your reply :)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I just mean that the way you use the little smiley faces and moving characters in your posts is very elaborate and expressive, that's all! And you have perfectly illustrated that in your reply :)
:spew::crackup: Oh my goodness.:lol: I nearly spit out my rooisbos tea.
I actually went and googled it...and was more confused,...since it looked like a game of 'hang-man' or guessing some type of words. Haha. I thought it was an actual online game. :paperbag:

Thank you for explaining it. I guess I'd be called a bit 'daft' or dense I suppose. But in a good way.
Thank you again for the laugh of the day.

Yes, I do enjoy using the emojis. I find them very expressive. Only trouble is, that they don't always seem to be placed where they belong, so it takes me a tad longer to make a reply post. (It is a Site quirk, that the admins know about, ...but not really a top priority to fix). Again, thanks for the explanation..or else I would be online surfing all night. :blush: :crash:

Moggielady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:spew::crackup: Oh my goodness.:lol: I nearly spit out my rooisbos tea.
I actually went and googled it...and was more confused,...since it looked like a game of 'hang-man' or guessing some type of words. Haha. I thought it was an actual online game. :paperbag:

Thank you for explaining it. I guess I'd be called a bit 'daft' or dense I suppose. But in a good way.
Thank you again for the laugh of the day.

Yes, I do enjoy using the emojis. I find them very expressive. Only trouble is, that they don't always seem to be placed where they belong, so it takes me a tad longer to make a reply post. (It is a Site quirk, that the admins know about, ...but not really a top priority to fix). Again, thanks for the explanation..or else I would be online surfing all night. :blush: :crash:
Haha, sorry for the confusion!

They had a good hour together just now. Much the same as yesterday but with less chasing. Audrey growled when he got within a couple of feet of her, and hissed if he came any closer. But she would take treats even when he was near - actually she kept on growling even whilst eating her treats, which was hilarious: grrrrr nom nom grrrr nom nom nom... and more dribble than usual...

Only potentially tricky moment was when HE growled at HER, which I hadn't been expecting! He had a toy in his mouth and I think he thought she was going to try and take it. (The only time I've ever heard him growl is when I am trying to detach him from a toy he's biting.) But I just took him away then and Audrey seemed fine after.

He seems to be respecting her boundaries which is great. At least until her back is turned. He did managed to sneak up and sniff her tail once but even when she turned around and was surprised by him she just hissed she didn't swipe.

I didn't confine them to one room (though I did confine them to the downstairs of the house) but actually they spent most of the time in Audrey's preferred spot, where she can sit up on the windowsill or the back of the sofa.

Feeling huge relief that they spent this long together and there was no swiping or charging this time!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a fantastic update!
They had a good hour together just now. Much the same as yesterday but with less chasing. Audrey growled when he got within a couple of feet of her, and hissed if he came any closer. But she would take treats even when he was near - actually she kept on growling even whilst eating her treats, which was hilarious: grrrrr nom nom grrrr nom nom nom... and more dribble than usual...
"actually she kept on growling even whilst eating her treats, which was hilarious: grrrrr nom nom grrrr nom nom nom... and more dribble than usual..."
:lol: That must mean she would not even think about 'sharing a treat'...even if stuck on a deserted island.
To give Audrey credit, though, you did say the Elliot shoves his full face into his bowl.
I'm sure that Audrey has watched that, and figured..."he has no eating manners"

Less chasing is great.
You will probably end up having... more chasing and running around, but it will be done in play, so don't be too worried when you see this. When a cat eventually accepts the kitten, the kitten feels free to chase...and so does the cat.
As long as they...all come back together, with no extended hiding, ...then all is well.
Only potentially tricky moment was when HE growled at HER, which I hadn't been expecting! He had a toy in his mouth and I think he thought she was going to try and take it. (The only time I've ever heard him growl is when I am trying to detach him from a toy he's biting.) But I just took him away then and Audrey seemed fine after.
Interesting.
So Elliot might be learning the growling behaviour from Audrey?
Copying her.
Or he is also quite possessive of his toy.

Wow. This is showing a lot more Confidence within him,...and also that he knows how to communicate, too.
I think this is really good to hear.
Not that you want to have 'two growly cats...growling all the time'...but rather that they are 'talking' back and forth to each other,...and learning from each other.
He seems to be respecting her boundaries which is great. At least until her back is turned. He did managed to sneak up and sniff her tail once but even when she turned around and was surprised by him she just hissed she didn't swipe.
Fantastic.
I didn't confine them to one room (though I did confine them to the downstairs of the house) but actually they spent most of the time in Audrey's preferred spot, where she can sit up on the windowsill or the back of the sofa.

Feeling huge relief that they spent this long together and there was no swiping or charging this time!
Amazing. :)
I knew this would happen. I just didn't know that it would happen this quick.
I think you are almost there, and it won't be long until you could leave everyone out together.

Moggielady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a fantastic update!

"actually she kept on growling even whilst eating her treats, which was hilarious: grrrrr nom nom grrrr nom nom nom... and more dribble than usual..."
:lol: That must mean she would not even think about 'sharing a treat'...even if stuck on a deserted island.
To give Audrey credit, though, you did say the Elliot shoves his full face into his bowl.
I'm sure that Audrey has watched that, and figured..."he has no eating manners"

Less chasing is great.
You will probably end up having... more chasing and running around, but it will be done in play, so don't be too worried when you see this. When a cat eventually accepts the kitten, the kitten feels free to chase...and so does the cat.
As long as they...all come back together, with no extended hiding, ...then all is well.

Interesting.
So Elliot might be learning the growling behaviour from Audrey?
Copying her.
Or he is also quite possessive of his toy.

Wow. This is showing a lot more Confidence within him,...and also that he knows how to communicate, too.
I think this is really good to hear.
Not that you want to have 'two growly cats...growling all the time'...but rather that they are 'talking' back and forth to each other,...and learning from each other.

Fantastic.

Amazing. :)
I knew this would happen. I just didn't know that it would happen this quick.
I think you are almost there, and it won't be long until you could leave everyone out together.
Thank you Cat Nap, it is so great to have this affirmation. I feel cautiously optimistic now whereas a few days ago I was full of dread and really feeling guilty and overwhelmed.

Elliot is definitely possessive of his toys! He is a fierce little hunter. Of course it is just too cute when he fiercely hunts a small plush beaver and carries it around in his mouth. I hadn't thought of the growling as talking but I guess it was exactly that, him telling her to keep off his toy.

I am definitely keeping an eye on the hiding. Audrey does 'retire' under the bed after the sessions of meeting but I think you're right that she's tired and it's not a bad sign, especially when she comes out immediately with a shake of the treat bag. We had a lovely purring cuddle session today and I feel SO much better, she is getting back to her old self. :cloud9:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Cat Nap, it is so great to have this affirmation. I feel cautiously optimistic now whereas a few days ago I was full of dread and really feeling guilty and overwhelmed.
Feeling dread, guilt, or overwhelmed are totally normal feelings M Moggielady . :hugs:
I could tell you that it is quite common to experience a roller coaster of emotions, especially when introducing animals.

I know, that I have personally felt anxiety, worry, later on guilt, and also overwhelmed, too.
And then I threw in some more 'unhelpful' thinking...like...'trying to predict the future'....in that I figured my now dog, (puppy at the time),..would never, ever be able to be around the cats because he liked to chase, chase, and play constantly...as a puppy...while awake.
(Thankfully that wasted 'prediction of the future' never came true. They all get along just fine, with the two cats actually liking the dog better than they do each other, depending on the day of the week.) :blackcat: :blackcat: :bluepaw:

When my previous rainbow senior cat was 15 years old, then the kittens came into my life. At some point in time, I also felt guilty since Tripp, the male cat was harassing rainbow Spotty the senior, by jumping on him. The female Tepaul was very good, since she was, and is, not into 'rough-housing'. Eventually, Tripp learned to leave Spotty alone. And Spotty accepted the newcomers, ..by showing me that he was okay sleeping near them. (It took about 2 or 3 months for Spotty the senior to do this, but it was extremely nice to see.)

After all this rambling, my main point is for you to look at the cat-to-kitten intros....as a huge Adventure. :clover:
Optimism is hard, when you're not seeing the results you want,...as fast as you want...but as another member on here wrote:
"Cat intros are more a marathon, ...than they are a sprint"...or something like that. (It think it was Mamanyt1953, but not sure.)

Elliot is definitely possessive of his toys! He is a fierce little hunter. Of course it is just too cute when he fiercely hunts a small plush beaver and carries it around in his mouth. I hadn't thought of the growling as talking but I guess it was exactly that, him telling her to keep off his toy.
I'm kind of jealous now, hearing that Elliot carries his plush beaver toy around. :lol:
I kind of always wanted a cat who would play fetch with me.

(My cats will just lay there as I roll a ping pong ball to them, and then bat at it,...getting me to run here and there...retrieving it.
I get good exercise, but I strongly think that my cats have 'trained me' and not the other way around. :catlove:)
I am definitely keeping an eye on the hiding. Audrey does 'retire' under the bed after the sessions of meeting but I think you're right that she's tired and it's not a bad sign, especially when she comes out immediately with a shake of the treat bag. We had a lovely purring cuddle session today and I feel SO much better, she is getting back to her old self. :cloud9:
My cats like sleeping in various spots around the home.
Often times my male Tripp enjoys sleeping in a dark Armoire or dark closet.

You know your cat the best, but yes, maybe Audrey just enjoys to sleep in different locations, now, too. :sleep::dunno:
Perhaps it's very peaceful and quiet up there,..and even if it used to be her...'grumpy spot'...now it's her 'day spa getaway'. :daisy:

Moggielady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of jealous now, hearing that Elliot carries his plush beaver toy around. :lol:
I kind of always wanted a cat who would play fetch with me.

(My cats will just lay there as I roll a ping pong ball to them, and then bat at it,...getting me to run here and there...retrieving it.
I get good exercise, but I strongly think that my cats have 'trained me' and not the other way around. :catlove:)
Oh don't get the wrong idea, he doesn't carry it to ME! He carries it away to chew in secret... But it's funny watching him run past with it in his mouth, all pleased with himself :)

Good and bad today.
Good: Elliot and Audrey sitting two feet apart, facing each other, both taking treats from me and eating them. Audrey was in her bed and she growled most of the time but she still ate them.
Bad: Elliot trying to sneak up on Audrey and get BEHIND her bed, which is against the wall. She swatted him two or three times, very quick, then shot out of her bed and went under ours. She is still there...

Sigh. But they had a good hour together this morning. It's rinse and repeat at this stage I think! Very glad to be able to share on this thread. Thank you everyone who is still reading.

Moggielady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to make a liar of me, she appeared as soon as I posted, LOL. Eating her biscuits now like nothing happened.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh don't get the wrong idea, he doesn't carry it to ME! He carries it away to chew in secret... But it's funny watching him run past with it in his mouth, all pleased with himself :)
Okay, it makes me feel slightly less envious, ...knowing he's not a Super Cat yet. :greenpaw:
I'm sure he's the 'trainable kind of cat'.
(I might be too lazy to train my cats. Someone explained, in details, how they clicker train their cat, and I found it fascinating,..but have not tried. Super lazy. :thud:)
Good and bad today.
Good: Elliot and Audrey sitting two feet apart, facing each other, both taking treats from me and eating them. Audrey was in her bed and she growled most of the time but she still ate them.
Bad: Elliot trying to sneak up on Audrey and get BEHIND her bed, which is against the wall. She swatted him two or three times, very quick, then shot out of her bed and went under ours. She is still there...
I don't think this is bad at all.
Why do you think it was? Did the swatting look too aggressive? Did Elliot cry and run and hide?

I think it's fantastic that Elliot is trying to get closer to Audrey.
And that Audrey chose to swat and run away, ...rather than to attack him.

I guess it all depends on how it looked to you?
...It's rinse and repeat at this stage I think! Very glad to be able to share on this thread. Thank you everyone who is still reading.
"..It's rinse and repeat"
I like the 'rinse and repeat' line. :blush: I'm going to use that in the future, for cat-intro advice. It sounds great.

And I really enjoy reading your updates.
Thank you for writing them up.
I may have to ask for a few more photos, in the future, when you have time. :catrub:
Just to make a liar of me, she appeared as soon as I posted, LOL. Eating her biscuits now like nothing happened.
:lol: :crackup:Cats always know when we're posting about them.
I don't know how, but they do.

Honestly, I think that to Audrey...nothing really did happen.
She was sleeping. Elliot came by. She swatted him, because she felt annoyed...and then left.
(I could be reading the description wrong, so forgive me if I do.)

Moggielady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think this is bad at all.
Why do you think it was? Did the swatting look too aggressive? Did Elliot cry and run and hide?
I think it's fantastic that Elliot is trying to get closer to Audrey.
And that Audrey chose to swat and run away, ...rather than to attack him.
I guess it all depends on how it looked to you?
It looks scary because the swatting was just so fast! Pow-pow-pow. On his head! But he didn't make a sound. Once she had run off, he went under the chest of drawers for a couple of minutes. But then he came out and tried to follow her under the bed (cue more growling) at which point I distracted him with a treat and took him away.

"..It's rinse and repeat"
I like the 'rinse and repeat' line. :blush: I'm going to use that in the future, for cat-intro advice. It sounds great.

And I really enjoy reading your updates.
Thank you for writing them up.
I may have to ask for a few more photos, in the future, when you have time. :catrub:
Thank you. V glad to hear this. I'll try and snap some more pictures of them near each other, if I can.

Honestly, I think that to Audrey...nothing really did happen.
She was sleeping. Elliot came by. She swatted him, because she felt annoyed...and then left.
(I could be reading the description wrong, so forgive me if I do.)
No, you're not reading it wrong, it's just tough to watch even though I know some swatting is bound to happen. She did it again, in fact, when I let him go through into her room just now: he got too close to her chasing a ribbon and she swiped at him again. But then she settled back down. She didn't run away. And he just backed off and kept playing with the ribbon on the floor.

I'm a bit worried about letting him pursue her under the bed. I wouldn't be able to reach under there and break them up if anything bad happened. But at some point he will need to roam freely and he will inevitably follow her there if she retreats!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks scary because the swatting was just so fast! Pow-pow-pow. On his head! But he didn't make a sound. Once she had run off, he went under the chest of drawers for a couple of minutes. But then he came out and tried to follow her under the bed (cue more growling) at which point I distracted him with a treat and took him away.
No, you're not reading it wrong, it's just tough to watch even though I know some swatting is bound to happen. She did it again, in fact, when I let him go through into her room just now: he got too close to her chasing a ribbon and she swiped at him again. But then she settled back down. She didn't run away. And he just backed off and kept playing with the ribbon on the floor.
I'm a bit worried about letting him pursue her under the bed. I wouldn't be able to reach under there and break them up if anything bad happened. But at some point he will need to roam freely and he will inevitably follow her there if she retreats!
Oh, okay. So if I understand correctly Elliot is not at all bothered by Audrey, since he comes back so fast, and also pursues her...yet Audrey is still more than a little annoyed by him.
Hmm.

You're definitely right about the 'being under the bed' part.
That would be difficult to observe and break them up.

But you're having better success when Playing with Elliot near Audrey in her room.

Does Audrey come back willingly to the downstairs area, while Elliot is free roaming there?
Or are we not at this stage yet?

Moggielady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Cat Nap !

Oh, okay. So if I understand correctly Elliot is not at all bothered by Audrey, since he comes back so fast, and also pursues her...yet Audrey is still more than a little annoyed by him.
Hmm.

You're definitely right about the 'being under the bed' part.
That would be difficult to observe and break them up.

But you're having better success when Playing with Elliot near Audrey in her room.
Elliot doesn't seem bothered by her at all. The most is that he freezes and then backs off after she hisses at him or swipes at him. But as soon as he can, i.e. when he turns away, he creeps towards her again. He is a very confident socialised little kitten and seems to be made of rubber. He's just curious about her and wants to play. Maybe it's come across that I'm not worried enough about his safety, more worried about Audrey's stress, but that's really not the case - it's just that that realistically (thankfully) he is not scared of her at all, and not distressed by her hissing. Still keep a very close eye on them though.

Maybe the thing to do is to do for the next stage is to close off the bedroom itself, so neither of them can go under the bed, during their 'meeting time'. And wait until they are both much more comfortable with each other to let Elliot follow Audrey into the bedroom.

Does Audrey come back willingly to the downstairs area, while Elliot is free roaming there?
Or are we not at this stage yet?
Once or twice she has come down and sat behind the closed door (the one that separates downstairs from upstairs), like she's waiting to be let in, though if I open the door whilst holding him she sometimes retreats back upstairs. Depends how much she wants biscuits :)

It must be said though that she is a sedentary cat who spends a LOT of time sleeping. She is most active early morning and evening around mealtime - and by active I mean 'bats occasionally at a toy and spends a lot of time watching birds out of the window' - which is when we have been giving them their time together.

But if I let him loose when she is already on her bird perch windowsill she tends to just stay there - she doesn't run off like she's trying to get upstairs.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Elliot doesn't seem bothered by her at all. The most is that he freezes and then backs off after she hisses at him or swipes at him. But as soon as he can, i.e. when he turns away, he creeps towards her again. He is a very confident socialised little kitten and seems to be made of rubber. He's just curious about her and wants to play.
This is great information to know.
" He is a very confident socialised little kitten and seems to be made of rubber."
The 'made of rubber' part made me LOL. I can somewhat picture that. :lol: :wow:
Maybe it's come across that I'm not worried enough about his safety, more worried about Audrey's stress, but that's really not the case - it's just that that realistically (thankfully) he is not scared of her at all, and not distressed by her hissing. Still keep a very close eye on them though.
No, it actually comes across that you are equally worried about both Elliot and Audrey.
Not one over the other.
I'm just trying to get a clearer picture of where they presently are in their dynamics together.
Maybe the thing to do is to do for the next stage is to close off the bedroom itself, so neither of them can go under the bed, during their 'meeting time'. And wait until they are both much more comfortable with each other to let Elliot follow Audrey into the bedroom.
That's where I'm not quite sure how comfortable they are around each other.
I know that Elliot is okay, and curious,...but not yet sure about Audrey's comfort level?

I think you and ArtNJ...had discussed closing off the bedroom door before...and he had mentioned that he didn't think it was wise...since Audrey would not have an escape route...or safe space to escape to ...to get away from an annoying kitten.

I would agree and suggest NOT closing the bedroom itself.
Just because we always want Audrey to feel she has a 'safe space' ...and 'protected from Elliot'.
I know it does not help you...when she runs upstairs and hides under the bed...but it's better she is able to do that...than to have it closed off...and then she panics.
Once or twice she has come down and sat behind the closed door (the one that separates downstairs from upstairs), like she's waiting to be let in, though if I open the door whilst holding him she sometimes retreats back upstairs. Depends how much she wants biscuits :)
:blush: Okay. So she will come in for food, but only when she wants to.
I think this will help us.
Just not as reliable a method, as we want. We can work with this.
It must be said though that she is a sedentary cat who spends a LOT of time sleeping. She is most active early morning and evening around mealtime - and by active I mean 'bats occasionally at a toy and spends a lot of time watching birds out of the window' - which is when we have been giving them their time together.

But if I let him loose when she is already on her bird perch windowsill
she tends to just stay there - she doesn't run off like she's trying to get upstairs.
This is other great and useful information to know.

For instance, maybe we should try and 'change the times they are together'.
Instead of when Audrey is 'most active'....choose a time when she is more sleepy.

This way, ..you'll see...if any of her 'automatic reactions' to Elliot change.
(Eg....Does she automatically hiss, growl, and swipe at Elliot...when she is sleepy, too?
Does her body language change...and she become more tense and alert?
Does she quickly wake up...and try to swat at him?)

I know you mentioned before that he accidentally met her while she was sleeping...so now...I just want to know ...if she is more or less the same as before...or does her body language change?

Could you watch this video online called "Introducing Bengal cat to a new kitten for first time" by The Cat Behaviour Channel. 10:54 minutes long.
It's old, from feb. 2010...but I do think it is useful.
I'd like to know if the kitten and cat in it...reminds you at all of Elliot and Audrey?
Does Audrey act like the older cat in the video? Are the swats that she does to Elliot more intense, or less so?
Also, does Audrey growl at Elliot like the cat in the video does?

If you can,...for yourself...I would suggest that you take a few videos of your own.
Then play them back...and look at Audrey's body language.

Specifically looking for signs that she is still very agitated or upset...(eg. lip licking, tail movements, hair up, ear position, eyes, etc.)
If you play back, your own videos, then you will notice things that you don't normally notice when you see them in front of you.
What I mean is...that sometimes when you playback your own videos...you will see small changes...that will help you decide how everyone is reacting.
I hope this helps.

Moggielady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is great information to know.
" He is a very confident socialised little kitten and seems to be made of rubber."
The 'made of rubber' part made me LOL. I can somewhat picture that. :lol: :wow:

No, it actually comes across that you are equally worried about both Elliot and Audrey.
Not one over the other.
I'm just trying to get a clearer picture of where they presently are in their dynamics together.

That's where I'm not quite sure how comfortable they are around each other.
I know that Elliot is okay, and curious,...but not yet sure about Audrey's comfort level?

I think you and ArtNJ...had discussed closing off the bedroom door before...and he had mentioned that he didn't think it was wise...since Audrey would not have an escape route...or safe space to escape to ...to get away from an annoying kitten.

I would agree and suggest NOT closing the bedroom itself.
Just because we always want Audrey to feel she has a 'safe space' ...and 'protected from Elliot'.
I know it does not help you...when she runs upstairs and hides under the bed...but it's better she is able to do that...than to have it closed off...and then she panics.

:blush: Okay. So she will come in for food, but only when she wants to.
I think this will help us.
Just not as reliable a method, as we want. We can work with this.

This is other great and useful information to know.

For instance, maybe we should try and 'change the times they are together'.
Instead of when Audrey is 'most active'....choose a time when she is more sleepy.

This way, ..you'll see...if any of her 'automatic reactions' to Elliot change.
(Eg....Does she automatically hiss, growl, and swipe at Elliot...when she is sleepy, too?
Does her body language change...and she become more tense and alert?
Does she quickly wake up...and try to swat at him?)

I know you mentioned before that he accidentally met her while she was sleeping...so now...I just want to know ...if she is more or less the same as before...or does her body language change?

Could you watch this video online called "Introducing Bengal cat to a new kitten for first time" by The Cat Behaviour Channel. 10:54 minutes long.
It's old, from feb. 2010...but I do think it is useful.
I'd like to know if the kitten and cat in it...reminds you at all of Elliot and Audrey?
Does Audrey act like the older cat in the video? Are the swats that she does to Elliot more intense, or less so?
Also, does Audrey growl at Elliot like the cat in the video does?

If you can,...for yourself...I would suggest that you take a few videos of your own.
Then play them back...and look at Audrey's body language.

Specifically looking for signs that she is still very agitated or upset...(eg. lip licking, tail movements, hair up, ear position, eyes, etc.)
If you play back, your own videos, then you will notice things that you don't normally notice when you see them in front of you.
What I mean is...that sometimes when you playback your own videos...you will see small changes...that will help you decide how everyone is reacting.
I hope this helps.
This is VERY helpful, thank you so much! You are giving so much of your time and knowledge here, I really appreciate it.

I watched the video you suggested and I'd say that Audrey's swipes are *slightly* more intense than the Bengal's.
I will try to film them together but it can be tricky to do whilst monitoring and distracting at the same time! Also Audrey, being black and fluffy, can be very hard to make out on video. I will be able to see her tail movements but probably not ear positions. But I found the video really useful and reassuring to be able to see just what it will look like when they are tolerating or playing with each other.

We tried letting Elliot approach Aud when she was sleepy today, in the bedroom, on two separate occasions. She stayed in her bed (not changing position except to lift her head slightly if she couldn't quite see him) and growled when he got within three or four feet of her. Hissed if he gegots any closer than that. At one point he came within a foot and that was when she swiped: one quick bat to the head. She will munch treats whilst grumbling, in her bed, when he is two feet away, if he is busy with treats at the same time.

Later she came downstairs when he was roaming and that didn't go so well. She was OK for a while, watching him from the windowsill and grumbling, twitching her tail quite a lot; but when she went to go back upstairs again he CHASED her right upstairs and under the bed. I ran up after them (they are really giving me a workout at the moment!) and took him away to another room. I thought she would be grumpy for ages, but she reappeared 20 minutes later to eat her dinner downstairs.

Then Elliot decided to run headfirst into the glass door which gave me a terrible fright :( He seems fine, I am very relieved to say. He was up and racing about again a minute later.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
This is VERY helpful, thank you so much! You are giving so much of your time and knowledge here, I really appreciate it.
You're very welcome. I'm simply enjoying your thread, updates, and your cat-to-kitten introduction process. :cloud9:
So thank you kindly for allowing me to be part of this journey. :thumbsup:
I watched the video you suggested and I'd say that Audrey's swipes are *slightly* more intense than the Bengal's.
I will try to film them together but it can be tricky to do whilst monitoring and distracting at the same time! Also Audrey, being black and fluffy, can be very hard to make out on video. I will be able to see her tail movements but probably not ear positions. But I found the video really useful and reassuring to be able to see just what it will look like when they are tolerating or playing with each other.
I was so hoping that Audrey's swipes, were actually 'less intense'...and not 'slightly more'...but that is okay.
The most intense swipe from that Bengal cat was when she was sitting on her armchair,..and strikes him at the 3:27 mark.

"I will try to film them together but it can be tricky to do whilst monitoring and distracting at the same time!"
See this is where you are really kind to me. :agree:
Instead of coming back and saying, "umm catnap, I'm not actually an octopus with 8 arms and legs where I can film, monitor, and distract...and play, plus you probably want me to play classical music, and intervene when it looks like it's going bad, too." :lol: :crackup:
:frustrated:

You know, I never really thought about how tricky it actually would be. :paperbag:

If you set up the camera phone somewhere on a stand...I could just see either cat just knocking it down...and there goes a perfectly good phone or camera. And you're also right about how difficult it is to have black cats show up clearly on film, unless the lighting is like perfect. (I think I am wanting a hollywood production now. I shall blame it on the names of Audrey and Elliot J. Clawson. ha. :cool2: :lol:)

(What's strange about the bengal video is that the narrator doesn't think that any of the body language or bengal's movements are threatening. I found that odd. I would never hold a resident cat in my arms...who is clearly upset and hissing...for fear of getting bit myself...no matter if it were my cat or not.
Also, they never tell you that that Bengal cat is, or was, actually a former breeding queen,...so doesn't that mean that she's been around kittens for most of her life? :dunno: (I only found out this info from watching their other video on introducing a third cat.)

I also find the video useful, ..since it shows what could happen,...but I kind of wandered off at the 8:54 minute mark...since then the bengal is already laying down...you kind of know that she was wanting to play with the kitten.
There is another part, though, where the kitten actually jumps on and attacks the bengal...and I thought..."wow kitten, really bad move" :eek2: ....but she ends up running away,...so I was really surprised by that. I thought she would have rolled and bit him right back.
We tried letting Elliot approach Aud when she was sleepy today, in the bedroom, on two separate occasions. She stayed in her bed (not changing position except to lift her head slightly if she couldn't quite see him) and growled when he got within three or four feet of her. Hissed if he gegots any closer than that. At one point he came within a foot and that was when she swiped: one quick bat to the head. She will munch treats whilst grumbling, in her bed, when he is two feet away, if he is busy with treats at the same time.
Do you think Audrey swiping at Elliot, ...had anything to do with both being 'in the bedroom'...if she feels that is still 'her territory'?
But from your descriptions from before, ...it sounds more like she just does not want him to come too close to her.
Very good thinking about giving the treats, while he is near.
Later she came downstairs when he was roaming and that didn't go so well. She was OK for a while, watching him from the windowsill and grumbling, twitching her tail quite a lot; but when she went to go back upstairs again he CHASED her right upstairs and under the bed. I ran up after them (they are really giving me a workout at the moment!) and took him away to another room. I thought she would be grumpy for ages, but she reappeared 20 minutes later to eat her dinner downstairs.
Again, not that bad.
I don't think you'll be able to stop him from chasing her...And the fact that she came back after 20 minutes is excellent.
Curious to know, if both Elliot and Audrey will turn this into 'sort of a game'...where she'll be on the windowsill, go upstairs and he chases her again. Hmm. :think:
Then Elliot decided to run headfirst into the glass door which gave me a terrible fright :( He seems fine, I am very relieved to say. He was up and racing about again a minute later.
Ahh, poor guy. Glad that he's okay.
(My cats, as kittens, would run into walls and furniture, and such, but I don't remember seeing them run into the glass door, yet.)

You might have to put 'tiny stickers' onto the glass door.
(I had to do that for my dog, and myself, actually.) (Yes, I did slam into the sliding glass door a few times. There are two, and I thought I had left one open. Nope and "ouch". Also had to place a 'fabric colored ribbon' on the exterior sliding screen door...same reason...:rolleyes2:)