New kitten intro - seeing under the door

Twinkie245

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I got a new 10 week old female kitten Jools as a playmate for my 4.5 month old female kitten Twinkie yesterday. They are sisters (same parents) but different litters so this morning I let them meet and it went well. A little soft growling from Twinkie and hissing from the new kitten Jools but no real aggression. (See photo) I separated them until the afternoon and there was less growling/hissing but Twinkie started chasing and did this mock pouncing and started repeatedly swatting at Jools.

After immediately separating them, I put Jools back to her safe room but under the door there is a 2 almost 3” crack so they can plainly see each other. Twinkie softly growls while Jools hisses in response.

I don’t understand what is happening or if it’s good or bad. As they are true sisters, they should be getting along from the get go.

Thank you In advance.

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not get along with my sisters when we were younger. So it's not surprising they don't immediately comfort each other. Swatting and hissing is OK but not biting. Let them work it out on there one but keep watch. Do you have cat towers or anywhere they can jump onto like furniture? My cat Maggie chases Coco til she jumps on top of the couch. Now they tolerate each other. Peaches would hiss now they are bff.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds perfectly normal. A little hissing isn't a problem. Mostly, it serves to set limits on their behavior, and occurs even in bonded pairs of cats.

As for the picture, lying down facing away from the other is an expression of some degree of trust. They'd be facing each other and on their feet if they didn't.

At the ages of your two kitties, successful introduction is pretty well assured.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They wouldn't recognize each other, animals don't have the ability to sort out relationships. Mothers don't recognize their kittens after months of separation either. Even cats brought separately to the vet will fight because they smell different. hissing, swatting, growling are all perfectly normal. they are young enough they will get along well in time, just make sure the older kitten doesn't get to playing too rough. Squealing, screaming, and running to hide is all normal kitten play, they are learning limits, as long as the one hiding comes back out for more. If one completely avoids the other and hides when they approach, then they are really getting hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinkie245

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all…I was not aware that familial bonds did not translate into smell. I did not think a formal introduction process was required.

in spite of my mistake, I somehow dodged a bullet. This morning Jools escaped and Twinkie didn't really growl and Jools did not hiss. They have been co existing quite peacefully for the last few hours. It’s only when they are separated that they start growling and hissing under the door so I’m leaving them together.

Thank you all.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you did anything that was bad. It was more on the order of testing the waters, and the result, while it seemed bad to you, was typical of cat introductions. Your idea that family scent should transcend litters is a reasonable one to take. Unfortunately, kitty didn't have the same idea.

Their intro actually went well and I predict they'll be just fine in a couple days. Just keep their together time supervised so you can put a stop to any undesirable behavior, and remember, "If you have to ask, it's just play."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinkie245

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for that last piece of advice…..Twinkie pounced on Jools and had her pinned down…looked vicious but no cries or hisses/growls and neither got “puffy”. I wasn’t sure what that was but now I’m assuming it’s play.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten play is usually some kind of play attack. After all, they're in training to become predators!