New Kitten Intro, Odd Issue

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a total of six cats, four of whom were intentional adoptions from a shelter, the other two were "we were found by the cat" adoptions.

The five cats who were already in residence:
Circe - approx age 10.5 years, she's been mine for 4 years
Autumn - approx age 6.5 years, also mine for 4 years
Domino - approx age 6 years, only male (neutered), mine for 4.5 years
TV - approx age 6 years, mine for 4.5 years
Cosette - approx age 3.5 years, mine for 2.5 years

Newcomer:
Mabel, now probably about 6 months (based on teeth at her first vet visit, probably born during April of this year), she's been with us since August and was spayed mid-September

Mabel is really bonded with my youngest son, whose bedroom is upstairs (with a separate bathroom up there), and when she first came here, she was alone up there until we got her clean bill of health.

The issue with trying to integrate Mabel with the other cats is Mabel herself. She hisses at the other cats, while the other cats just kind of look at her with what seems like a mildly amused expression, there is no poofing of tails or arching of backs from the older 5 cats--only from Mabel. There hasn't been anything physical unless Mabel swipes at one of them (mostly Cosette or TV), and they will turn around hiss and whap her one (but still no poofing/arching back and Mabel is the only one whose ears go flat).

So I don't know how to get Mabel integrated with the others. The other five have no objections to her presence (they will walk right past her into the kitchen and eat while she's posturing). We've tried brushing back and forth for scent transfer. Currently, Mabel eats separately from the others.

So is Mabel just a cat who should be solitary, or is there hope for her to get along with the others?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Seems too early to get too worried over it. If she didn't come from a shelter where she was exposed to multiple cats in the same area, she is probably freaking out at the number around her, feeling intimidated and overwhelmed. Good that the others are kind of just "Meh" about it.

I don't have the links readily available, but one of our super members will come along soon and provide you with a plethora of good info about bringing a new member in.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, you're actually doing better than you think you are. Your resident cats are doing nothing more than teaching Mabel her manners, and Mabel is almost certainly going to become accustomed to them. Remember, she's the new cat on the block, and a very young cat, and there are FIVE OF THEM! It has to be a bit overwhelming for her, so she gets anxious and takes a swat, and whoever was on the receiving end simply says, "STOP THAT! I don't THINK so!" Give her more time. Lots more time. Isolating her when there are no actual fights going on is not going to do her any favors.