New Kitten I Got May Have A Upper Respiratory Infection, Is A Door Separating Them Enough?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
https://photos.app.goo.gl/lAxaYTPkBFKM0GhC2

The little orange one, Sawyer, is 12 weeks old and I just got home 3 hours ago. He's sneezing a lot. Will try to take him to the vet as soon as I can, but my scheduling is limited. Is a door enough to keep them separated, cause if Sawyer is sick, I don't want him to get my other kitten sick as well.

I use a hand sanitizer when I leave his room.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have they already been in contact with each other? If so, they've already shared germs. If they've not been in contact with each other, keep Sawyer secluded and be sure to wash your hands after you've been in to visit him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have they already been in contact with each other? If so, they've already shared germs. If they've not been in contact with each other, keep Sawyer secluded and be sure to wash your hands after you've been in to visit him.
Uhh, yeah when I first got Sawyer home, I put his carrier next to Lilo to let them smell each other, he may or may not have sneezed through it and onto Lilo.

An hour later the two escaped and I Lilo sniffed Sawyer's butt but I don't think any physical contact happened.

Also Sawyer's right eye doesn't look right.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=ZFVqU21URG1POFRoeURWWm9aWHctMVBEaUpNWUl3

I noticed also that at petco it was watery, thoughts?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The eye is part of the upper respiratory infection. He needs to get to the vet ASAP as little ones can go downhill quickly. I know you said your time is limited, so hopefully you can get him in quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The eye is part of the upper respiratory infection. He needs to get to the vet ASAP as little ones can go downhill quickly. I know you said your time is limited, so hopefully you can get him in quickly.
Okay so what should I do about the contamination at this point? Will the door separating the two be enough?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They've already come in contact.

I'm sorry you're short on time, but both of those kittens need to visit the vet immediately!

Margret

Jinji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
URI is a viral infection, so transmission is much like the common cold or flu. The door may not be enough , this depends on if the cats hiss under the door, the sick one sneezes, or if the sick one licks itself then touches you healthy cat.

With kittens and older cats you should have them looked after by a vet just because their immune systems aren't as strong, much like baby and elderly humans. Yes, Viral infections will have to run its own course, antibiotics are only given to prevent secondary bacterial infections from occurring; but with that being said, look out for watery eyes that cause eye discharge this can be thin or thick, form yellow, dark dried crust etc. Even if the cats eye is closed shut those eyes will need antibiotic drops. Listen out for congestion if it sounds like the cat is snoring or making a rattling noise you need to be sure you keep humidifier running to let the mucous run but if the cat looks like it's having a hard time don't wait as cats can get pneumonia. Don't ignore if the cats look weak or stops eating, stops drinking water, or opens its mouth to breath. Lookout for labored or rapid breathing. Check for thick goopy nasal mucous, if it's not effecting its breathing, it should be okay but again, if the cat looks miserable take it in. Thin, clear, runny mucous is okay. Clean off mucous with a warm rag to relieve the cat from being too uncomfortable. As long as it's mild symptoms and nothing too bad that will compromise your kitties well being or it's normal behavior pattern it should be okay for the meantime!!!! Also, Excessive sneezing, diarrhea, vomiting all those are "vet trip asap" signs. As long as these big signs you don't see that should give you a little time to wait but don't wait too long. If your other cat came in contact w/ your sick kitty and was indeed infected, the virus can take a couple days to even start to show symptoms. So you won't know for sure only time will tell. Just watch for these signs. Clean water, lysine supplements and high quality wet can food slightly warmed is good during this time. But for the baby cat I would take it in as soon as you can.