New kitten! How would you describe her color?

DoryTuohey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Recently adopted this sweet girl. A rescue labeled her as DSH. She's just so unique looking. I don't really see the Tabby M. We are dying to see what she looks like as an adult.

Attachments

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have experience with this directly so I'm not an expert, but I wonder if it could be a fever coat. Sometimes that happens if the mother was sick or stressed during the pregnancy, and silver colored fur gets replaced with the cat's actual fur color as the adult fur grows in. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say, though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DoryTuohey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg! That is so interesting! I didn't know that existed! Thank you!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess would be black smoke and white, but you'll have to see how her coat develops as she matures. A smoke cat has white hair roots, and dark hair tips. Smoke cats are not genetically tabbies, but often have prominent "ghost markings."

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, smoke or fever coat. My guess its smoke (with white), me too, but we will know for sure in a couple of months.

The fever coat isnt dangerous, and it usually disappears before the kitten is adult, so dont worry.

Very sweet kitten!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
all cats carry the tabby gene, that is why you will see 'ghost' striping in the sunlight, even in pure black cats. She would be considered right now as smoke with white domestic short hair. My guess would be a fever coast too. She is absolutely gorgeous!