New kitten homecoming help

Sarah78901

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am adopting a kitten when he’s around 10-12 weeks old. He’s currently with his mama and sibling who are being fostered. He’s had a lot of handling and attention since he was born and is so sweet and playful. Litter box trained and doing very well.

My question is — what does one do with a kitten on the first several nights? I’ve seen people post that you should keep a kitten confined to a room with litter box, food, etc but that seems cruel and I’m afraid he’ll just cry all night or scratch to get out.

I also don’t know if letting him roam around the house is the best option either. My son said he could sleep in his room, which seems like maybe a good option?

Help! And thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens are babies and want to be with a person all the time for comfort, especially when they are first separated from mama and siblings. You also need to watch them and limit their roaming because they truly can get themselves hurt.

There are stories of kittens getting underneath recliner chairs and literally getting squashed when someone sits down and opens the recliner. I had a kitten who went behind my TV stand and somehow climbed inside a drawer. I heard her meowing because she could not get out. I had to very carefully open the drawer to avoid injuring her to get her out.

When the kitten sleeps with your son you should put the litter box in the room and make sure the kitten knows it’s there. Feed the kitten a meal before bed so it will sleep longer.

Kittens need feeding wet food several times a day with dry kitten chow and water available 24/7. It will be better for the kitten if you take it at 12 weeks.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens are fine in a kitten-proof safe room all by themselves. Some might complain but they get over it quickly. Ear plugs help at night. Don't feel guilty or like a bad owner for keeping a kitten in a safe room at night or whenever you are not at home to supervise. You don't want a kitten free roaming the home and getting into mischief of some sort and possibly requiring an expensive trip to the vet ER. The bathroom is usually ideal. Just make it boring and empty as much as possible and keep the toilet lid down and the tub / shower and sink drains plugged. If there's no window, either keep the light on all the the time or plug in a nightlight. Provide a big box placed on it's side as a dark cave for the kitten to sleep in and get away from the light.

Before you bring the kitten home, be sure to kitten-proof your home as much as possible. Think baby-proofing but 100 times more extreme. Everything is a toy or food or something to explore to a kitten. If you have floor vents or wall vents close to the floor, double check that the covers are on securely. Curious kittens can get into the vent and wander inside your walls. Here are more tips:

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would suggest something in between, I think its better to have the kitten in one room at first that you can make sure is very safe. As everyone mentioned above kittens fit into the tiniest and worst of spots, I "lost" my kitten more than once and had to search every nook and cranny of my bedroom to find her!

So I would suggest having one room for her but having that room be your bedroom. Or your sons. The kitten will bond closely with whoever is feeding, playing with, and sleeping with her all the time.

But having 1 room means less places the kitten can dissapear and it gives you more time to kitten proof the rest of the house.

My parents recently rescued a kitten stuck in their engine block. Then they put the kitten in the bathroom in their apartment separate from their other cat. The kitten immidiately found a crack they didnt know was there and got stuck under the bathroom cabinet. ;_; Since it was a small room though, at least they knew where he was.