New kitten hissing at our older cat

Nn2424

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So our older cat is nearly 7, and a very sweet cat. We recently decided to adopt a 6 month old kitten to add to the family, there's obky 2 adults in the house. We've had the kitten in the bathroom for nearly a week and have started the process of showing her to our big cat in a controlled environment. Our older cat reacts with a little stress, but only hisses when the kitten does. The issue is with the kitten. The more we expose her to our older cat the more she seems to hiss and yowl. The real kicker is, she doesn't react at all to items that have my other cats scent on it. Only the sight of our larger cat. Is she just intimidated by the larger cats size? (She's a HUGE long haired torbie)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not unusual for kittens to be scared of the house, humans or other pets for in some cases a tad more than a week. You don't really need to worry much about a 6 month old kitten adjusting. Since your older cat is doing well, this is going well so far. Its possible the kitten will get too comfortable and start being a PITA about wanting to play, but he won't stay scared.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nn2424

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. Our older cat is really a gem, we have feliway plug ins and got her a calm collar when we first brought the kitten home but her temperament is AMAZING. I'm glad the new kitten was going to adjust, I wasn't too sure what to expect since I've never had a kitten before.