New Kitten Going Back For More?

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
<iframe class='imgur-album' width='100%' height='550' frameborder='0' src=''></iframe>
Hi all we have recently rescued another kitten exactly a week ago Ivy is 2months old and 2.3pounds. Our resident kitten Stella is 5months old and 5.6 lbs. Since moving she's been an only cat for the past 2 months. I will say I messed up their intial meeting by taking Ivy out of the carrier and putting her right in Stella's line of sight. She didn't respond well. We immediately set up a safe room In the office for Ivy. I had playtime with each of them by the door and also meals were right outside the door. gradually moved to an open door, and a gate. Face to face playtime didn't go exactly well Stella would hiss and be visibly upset. We'd repeate the steps behind the door. Recently the last two playtimes have been succesful? I think? Stella is definitely obsessed with following her and "playing" with her. They roll and wrestle on the ground but one of them will get grumpy and hiss at that. Ivy will chase back a little but Stella is dominating. She's so much bigger and I'm just really worried because she doesn't break her concentration at all. I'll try to insert a video clip I got this morning. Basically I want to know is this normal or should I start reintroduction again?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I actually deal with older cats and don't do much with kittens so I defer to experts in kittens. But personally I would take the introduction at a much slower pace. One week is too soon to be at face to face meetings in my opinion. Most people rush the introduction processes and that tends to lengthen the time it takes to get a successful introduction. We really want to start slowly via scent associating with good things like food, then slowly give a little sight making sure it is a positive experience and build from there. We want them to be desensitized and comfortable around the other cat so when they do meet it is a positive encounter. The more trust there is the more they will accept. SO we want to get to a place where they are like "I know that cat and that cat is not a threat, they are cool". If they don't fear the other cat they will accept easier.

I hope others with more kitten expertise can weigh in.

I am happy to try to help and give advice if you desire.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I actually deal with older cats and don't do much with kittens so I defer to experts in kittens. But personally I would take the introduction at a much slower pace. One week is too soon to be at face to face meetings in my opinion. Most people rush the introduction processes and that tends to lengthen the time it takes to get a successful introduction. We really want to start slowly via scent associating with good things like food, then slowly give a little sight making sure it is a positive experience and build from there. We want them to be desensitized and comfortable around the other cat so when they do meet it is a positive encounter. The more trust there is the more they will accept. SO we want to get to a place where they are like "I know that cat and that cat is not a threat, they are cool". If they don't fear the other cat they will accept easier.

I hope others with more kitten expertise can weigh in.

I am happy to try to help and give advice if you desire.
Thanks for the advice. I was worried too that I was taking it to quickly. I was told they're both young so it should be an easier transistion. Ivy (the new kitten) climbs the gate and jumps right into Stella territory. They seem to want to be together, both meowing like crazy at the office door. If I open the door Ivy rushes out or Stella rushes in. It's hard to tell but it doesn't seem like Ivy is that bothered by Stella. She doesn't hiss doesn't try to hide. I'm not sure really what to do. I'm off work today so I'll try to get in lots of play with each of them separately.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With them both being young it should be an easier transition. You are correct.

Play is great. It helps build confidence.

Feeding them near each other is also positive as it gives them something positive to associate the other one with.

Also, if they are together try to make it as positive as possible when they are together. We don't want one cat to fear the other. If they are together and they both take it as a positive then it is great. So we don't want one chasing the other, if they are both chasing back and forth then it is a better sign. If they are together and not paying attention to the other it is a positive.

Just try to make every encounter between them either via scent or sight as positive as possible as the more trust is built the faster they will accept each other. So if you sense their encounters are positive then try to have them end as a positive (even if it is only for a short time together). Just keep building on positives and avoiding any negatives.

It is tricky, it really is more art than science.

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I was just hoping for super fast friends lol. Stella is very bonded to me and I just feel bad that she's so stressed. Plus my boyfriend and I have been sleeping separately because I just feel terrible having Ivy by herself all night. I think i just need to manage my expectations. Stella is doing more chasing and dominating the play so I try to break it up with a toy. Ivy will play with it but Stella is just focused on Ivy. They eat perfectly fine together even closer then the picture. Shorter playtimes I think are my
Goal right now. Hopefully in a week or two things will be great.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd urge you to go back to sleeping like normal and seperating the kittens at night rather than yourselves if room allows. It's wonderful you and your boyfriend have a great commitment to your cats that you will sleep apart, but the cats don't know it's only temporary and that is another change that will be on your mind. Your own apprehensions may impact on them, especially stella as she is tuned into you.

Stella is more confident in her environment because 1) she knows you and she's made you hers and 2) she's marked up all the environment with her face and fur.

You can try and follow a slow introduction process, by allowing the cats their own spaces, scent swapping and feeding at least one meal a day together closer and closer. we want as many positive interactions as possible. Kittens are more tolerant than territorial adults, a little scrapping, chasing and hissing is to be expected, as long as there is no yelling and growling. Cornering should be avoided, if a cat gets cornered it may lash out. Block off one way- runs or tight spaces. When they are this small a pile of heavy books or a small piece of furniture will do the trick.

Praise them and use treats when they interact, play, eat together and sniff one another. Both of your cats are adorable and look alert and inerested which is great but I must admit, 'm particularly envious of the lighter coloured one who's markings are just beautiful.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kissthisangel makes great points and gives great advice.

Taking it slower with help ease the adjustment and reduces the stress a bit.

Typically I find the resident cat is the one that has the more difficult time adjusting because it is their territory being "invaded". Now, my experience is in adult cats rather than kittens but I am guessing that it is the same with kittens. So that is why we tend to like to take it slow and use food and scent to associate the other cat with something good and then slowly allow a little sight etc.

It is GREAT that they are eating close together. If you can have that and end it in a positive way (no chase) then it is success. keep building on small positives (no chasing, no negatives).

1-2 weeks is probably a bit optimistic in my experience. Just move at their pace remembering to associate them with good things and to make evey encounter whether via scent or sight as positive as possible. Once they get to know each other and realize the other is not a threat (either physically or access to food, attention etc) then things will be fine.

Keep working on building their confidence as a confident cat is less likely to attack or be attacked.

Finally, just stay positive, calm and confident as cats do take on our emotions. That is another reason why you and your bf should live like you want to. Don't worry, cats are resilient and if you play with them, feed them well, give them attention and love they will be able to get through the night without anyone.

We are always here for you so please feel free to ask anything anytime. Hope this helps.

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the advice guys! The thing that is confusing me I guess is it seems like they both want to be together! Ivy keeps going back for more but Stella won't stop. It's just hard to tell if it is a positive interaction or not.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are welcome.

Yes, it is tricky to figure out exactly what is happening. I have found that sometimes early it seems to go well and then they get more defensive/territorial. It is a challenge to interpret even when a person has seen it many times before.

Typically, if it is give and take it is more positive. So no one seems more dominant. An important thing to watch is how they react after the encounters. If one starts to avoid areas, walk more cautiously, have their tail down, walk closer to the ground, go under things rather than up on things. If they act the same after the encounters as they did before then it was a positive experience. So watching their behavior, body language etc. If no change then positive.

If you can distract one away from focusing on the other it is a positive. If there is too much focus then it could be more negative. Watch their body language as well when they are together. See if there is a more defensive or aggressiveness. So ears back, hair up, tail down, tail swishing rapidly, eyes dilated, low to the ground. Things like that. Those would be negatives. But some are just excitement and play.

Just do you best and trust your instincts. And feel free to post anything here and hopefully can help interpret.

I like to make the encounters as positive as possible even if they are short in length then build upon that. And I like to distract them if one gets a little "funny" or "too wild". If they get distracted by a toy or food then it is a positive and it let's the other cat know that the distracted cat is not a threat.

Don't worry, we'll be here for you. I am highly confident things will work out. I will say, it is always best to go a bit slow as it takes a bit more time and effort to reverse any negative feelings that may build up early on. That is my own personal approach but I tend to be a bit more cautious in introductions.

Always feel free to contact us anytime for any reason.

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to pop on here and give a little update. Oddly enough when I brought Ivy out on Sunday, Stella just wasn't worried at all. I'm not sure what caused this sudden switch but it gave Ivy an opportunity to explore and Chase Stella around. Since then they have been good friends!!! Right now they're cuddled up grooming each other.

Attachments

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the wonderful update and terrific pic!! Great to hear. I love to hear they are grooming each other.

Just keep associating them with good things (food especially) and trying to make their interactions as positive as possible.

When cats don't fear or feel uncomfortable (whether for safety or access to food etc) then they trust and get along. The more they are together without any negative encounters the more trust is built. There are always ups and downs in the life of cats living together but as long as we build their confidence we can weather any downs.

Keep up the great work. Always here anytime.