New kitten fur regrowth

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I finally took the plunge and adopted a little friend for my 8 month old kitty Akila.
His name is Aten and I've had him home for a week (She absolutely adores him already! Couldn't have hoped for more 🥳)

He is approx 17 weeks old and was severely malnourished in his younger weeks, and only weighed 2.5 lbs when I brought him home! He's on particular diet and supplements to help him reach his ideal weight as per veterinary guidlines and is up to 3.8lbs already in just 7 days!
Now, he's had some balding on the bridge of his nose since I saw him and ever since I brought him home. It isn't ringworm or mites, the vet said it's likely alopecia from said malnutrition or potentially scarring from another cat or injury.

The vet wasn't able to tell me whether the fur on his nose bridge will ever grow back, but I'm wondering if anyone had ever seen anything like this where the fur on the nose bridge grows back, or will he forever have a freckly little nose?
I adore him nonetheless, just curious!
Poor little guy looks like a seasoned Tom cat already, I cant imagine what happened to him 😢

20220614_001833.jpg 20220614_001706.jpg
And one for cuteness 🥰
20220614_001403.jpg

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most likely it will grow back. Good food, great company and excellent care will do wonders for a little soul that got just what it needed, you! Enjoy your baby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most likely it will grow back. Good food, great company and excellent care will do wonders for a little soul that got just what it needed, you! Enjoy your baby
Thank you for your response! I am so pleased with his speedy weight gain and increase in normal kitty hyperactivity and mischief, so if it is going to grow back he's on the right track. If it doesn't, well at least he's healthy and happy, that's all I can really wish for!
He's a wonderful addition to the family and I love him with all my heart already 💜

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for adopting Aten, he's absolutely adorable. :cutecat: You're very fortunate Akila and him have become best friends, that's wonderful. Did your vet recommend anything to put on his nose? Not necessarily a topical medicine but something OTC that you could easily pick up at any store. The reason I asked is because when we adopted our dog he had a similar problem with his ears where the fur was missing and our vet suggested an OTC salve. She said his fur may never grow back but it was worth trying. Sure enough it helped and all the fur grew back. I hope the same will happen for Aten but if not it won't change a single thing about him and I know you love him just the way he is now. :catlove: Best of luck!

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for adopting Aten, he's absolutely adorable. :cutecat: You're very fortunate Akila and him have become best friends, that's wonderful. Did your vet recommend anything to put on his nose? Not necessarily a topical medicine but something OTC that you could easily pick up at any store. The reason I asked is because when we adopted our dog he had a similar problem with his ears where the fur was missing and our vet suggested an OTC salve. She said his fur may never grow back but it was worth trying. Sure enough it helped and all the fur grew back. I hope the same will happen for Aten but if not it won't change a single thing about him and I know you love him just the way he is now. :catlove: Best of luck!
Oh he's an absolute gem, he really is 🥰 and after reading so much about cat introductions I realise that this was a really fortunate and lucky intro for the two of them, I really wanted Akila to have a playmate but she's never even met another cat since her slightly premature departure from her mother, so I was absolutely prepared for all the potential obstacles and am overjoyed and relieved it's gone so well!
Our vet didn't make any suggestions for creams or ointments (maybe because there's no actual sores or irritation?) but I'll deffinately look into getting him some salve to see if it may help, no harm in trying. Thank you so much for the advice and sharing your experience! I really appreciate it 😊

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little update!
Aten has been with us officially 2 weeks today and is now at a healthy weight of 4.3lbs (gaining rapidly still too) and the fur on his nose is actually starting to grow back 🥳
I took your advice neely neely And got him Neve's bees snout salve, must be working as we saw new regrowth after 2 days of using it so thank you 🥰
20220619_112835.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Aten has been with us officially 2 weeks today and is now at a healthy weight of 4.3lbs (gaining rapidly still too) and the fur on his nose is actually starting to grow back 🥳 I took your advice neely neely And got him Neve's bees snout salve, must be working as we saw new regrowth after 2 days of using it so thank you 🥰
That's wonderful news! Thanks for the update, doing the happy dance for Aten and you. :dance:

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He’s so beautiful! So happy to see his great progress!!

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s so beautiful! So happy to see his great progress!!
Thank you so much! He's such a sweetheart 💕 And I'm extremely pleased too! He's made almost a full recovery now. He's of a good weight at 4.6lbs and it's barely noticeable he even had any fur missing at all 🥰
20220624_042059.jpg