New kitten - feeling overwhelmed

AmandaH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone!

I got a kitten last Tuesday (he's 9 weeks old now).

He's very sweet/cuddly, likes sleeping on my lap or up by my neck. However, at night he turns into a demon child and I don't know what to do. I've had kittens before but I know every kitten is different. He tears around my place, knocking things over and then playing with them on the floor. I did kitten proof my house but it seems like he always finds something!

I've tried tiring him out before bed (he has lots of different toys), establishing a routine, etc. I've had to lock him out of my bedroom recently just so I can get some sleep. But now I worry that he's going to hurt himself or destroy my entire place while I'm sleeping. He also cries when I lock him out.

I know it's normal kitten behavior but it's been making me extremely anxious. I can't sleep, I'm barely eating and today I broke down crying out of nowhere. :(

I also live alone and my place isn't huge. I'm currently working from home due to COVID-19 and I worry how he is going to adjust when I need to go back into the office. I'm feeling very cooped up and trapped at home but if I go out for a short walk to get some air I feel guilty about leaving him. I'm having second thoughts and I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision by getting him. It's making me feel like a horrible person and a bad cat mom even thinking that. :( I love him and the thought of giving him away is painful but

I'm aware they grow out of this stage but I don't know if I can take another year of this. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Try using a large crate that you can place him in at night, either beside your bed or on the bed - somewhere so he can see you. Give him some loves/pettings and tell him it is nighttime, turn off all lights. He can be secured that way from getting into anything, at least stopping your worrying about that aspect. He may be noisy for a while, but you might be able to use ear plugs or play some soothing music - for the both of you. You could even cover the majority of the crate so that only a small area is visible to him - preferably of you.

Leaving him to go on a walk is fine. Maybe even put him the crate while you are gone and give him treats when you come back. Worry later about how to deal with him once you go back to work. One issue at a time!!

I am sure there are other members who will come along soon and offer you better ideas than mine.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simple: Get a second kitten! A friend will allow him to play and get all his excess energy out. No kidding; I know it sounds like an awful idea . . . but when I got my second kitten, my first kitten's behaviour improved dramatically.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Having two kittens (close in age) is less work than one They learn from each other and tire each other out with play It also solves your issue when you go back to the office They will have each other and won’t be lonely My 2 will be a year old this month and I have never regretted getting 2 Would love to see a picture

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Its natural to feel nervous and all the things you are feeling. And when you have lived alone it is difficult to get used to having a noisy little creature wrecking you stuff and keeping you awake. That doesn’t mean you made the wrong decision as much as you need to give yourself time to adjust and relax.

I think sticking with one kitten, spending more time in kitten proofing and putting away the things he gets into, and shutting him out of your room at night will help. Yes he will be messing around in the other rooms but if your whole place is kitten proofed he shouldn’t be able to do too much damage.

Kittens are wild and crazy for at least the first year and definitely a responsibility. Give it some time and you should start enjoying him more. But if you really feel you can’t handle it, it is better to return or rehome him before he is fully grown.

Last edited:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, getting a second Kitten will make a world of difference. They will spend more time playing with eachother and less time getting into trouble, I wish more shelters would give that advice when adopting out Kittens because it really is night and say for some.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such small kittens should never be adopted alone and I don’t understand why some shelters still do this; none of the shelters in my area do, as they know how detrimental can this be to cats development, especially when kitten was separated from their mom too early (like in your case). Kittens need other cats around them to become well adjusted cats.

That certainly wont solve all your problems and can even add some more, but it will take lots of pressure off you for sure. At night With two kittens you can just close the bedroom door as they have each other to comfort (personally, I’d never be able to leave one small kitten alone - he’s such a baby and needs warmth and company of another creature to comfort him).

But if you know for sure that kitten energy is way too much for you, it’s best to rehome him pretty quickly, as the younger he is, the easier it will be for him.
Good luck whatever you decide!

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Of you're like me and can't get another kitten, it does get easier! My life saver when Neko-chan was little was a bowl of kibble and putting quiet toys on chairs and coffee table for her to knock down and pounce on. She could play and nibble through the night. She's a bit over a year now and though sometimes a bratty teen, she lets me sleep.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such small kittens should never be adopted alone and I don’t understand why some shelters still do this
That part I know why, some shelters are so overloaded they just move Cats and Kittens ASAP to make room for more. I don't agree with that at all but I can understand the thought process behind it, there are many who will say "It may not be a perfect home but at least it's a home." It's the same reason some shelters will allow bonded pairs or groups to be broken up and go to different homes instead of insisting they be adopted together despite how traumatic it is.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
While two kittens may comfort and entertain one another let’s not forget that they can make twice the noise, do twice the damage and cost twice as much to raise and care for. Some homes and people don’t have the space or resources for two. Singleton kittens can and do live long and happy lives and many, many people only adopt one to start.

eva adams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pets are like babies, you can read all the books out there, buy all the stuff the books tell you that you need, and still nothing quite prepares you for the reality. You don’t sound awful, you sound exactly like an anxious new furbaby Mom. And it’s a huge step already that you acknowledge that your kitten is simply exhibiting normal kitten behavior. It will get easier, and with kittens, it gets a lot easier a lot faster. Give it sometime Your kitty will also settle down as he adapts to his new home and begins to grow into an adult