New Kitten-Dirty Bum

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Recently I adopted a 7 week old kitten. I am so happy with her! Every three days she has to get a bath. She does not groom herself in the rear. I clean her with bum cloths, and warm paper towels in between time.

My adult cat that she was introduced too, is bad about this as well. I will find dried poo in her fur, or on the carpet. The two of them are beginning to groom each other. I try to catch them as they are leaving the litter box to wipe their bottoms. I am not here 24/7, I have responsibilities.

Should I wipe the bums' with tuna juice or something like that?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
7 weeks is very young to be away from Mom so it likely is just an age thing. Kittens usually get cleaned up by mom so just continue to clean her as needed. You can use a toothbrush to brush her with, which feels like a cat tongue sort of so it can encourage her to groom herself more too. If the older cat is starting to groom her too then it will accomplish the same thing. If your older one was taken away too young too then her issue may have the same root cause. Longer hair cats do sometimes have issues with stuff becoming stuck so if the older one is long hair that could be it too.

I would stay away from tuna juice or anything like that as it wont accomplish anything and would likely cause more problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
7 weeks is very young to be away from Mom so it likely is just an age thing. Kittens usually get cleaned up by mom so just continue to clean her as needed. You can use a toothbrush to brush her with, which feels like a cat tongue sort of so it can encourage her to groom herself more too. If the older cat is starting to groom her too then it will accomplish the same thing. If your older one was taken away too young too then her issue may have the same root cause. Longer hair cats do sometimes have issues with stuff becoming stuck so if the older one is long hair that could be it too.

I would stay away from tuna juice or anything like that as it wont accomplish anything and would likely cause more problems.
I added some salmon glucosamine oil to a dry paper towel and put it on her bum. I showed it to her. She licked it off. I haven't smelled her yet. She insists on sleeping on my head or shoulder when I go to bed. That is why I have the smelly bum concern. I called the vet, they suggested me to use baby wipes daily. I just smelled her butt. Reeks of urine. The oil strategy didn't work.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's basically a baby and it will take her a little time to learn. She's barely weaned too so her poops will likely be smelly as her digestive system adjusts to a new diet. Plus stress from changing homes and life changes is probably impacting her digestion.

Your vet is right that just use some unscented no added effect (like diaper rash cream or whatever they throw in baby wipes, a sensitive skin formula is probably best) wipes as needed. Oil on her butt would just make her want to lick her butt not clean herself after going potty. Not to mention that if she doesn't get the oil off it could cause problems, let's leave the oil as a failed solution and not try any other products back there. Remember that just a week ago her mom was probably still licking her butt to encourage her to potty. It will take a little time to learn how to do it herself. That's just one reason we recommend kittens stay with mom until they are 12-16 weeks.

CatCrazy777

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I added some salmon glucosamine oil to a dry paper towel and put it on her bum. I showed it to her. She licked it off. I haven't smelled her yet. She insists on sleeping on my head or shoulder when I go to bed. That is why I have the smelly bum concern. I called the vet, they suggested me to use baby wipes daily. I just smelled her butt. Reeks of urine. The oil strategy didn't work.
I agree with what the vet says - I have the same problem with one of my cats. At first I thought it was just lazy grooming that he would grow out of as he gets older, but he’s over a year now and although he has improved, some days i still find mess on his rear, where it gets stuck in his fur. It’s just something that I have to clean up myself with a wet wipe whenever I notice it, I don’t think there is another solution! Although I do want to try and trim down the fur in the area it gets stuck and see if this helps!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thirteen, my long-ish haired tuxedo, had this problem and I did a serious trim of her backside fur.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's basically a baby and it will take her a little time to learn. She's barely weaned too so her poops will likely be smelly as her digestive system adjusts to a new diet. Plus stress from changing homes and life changes is probably impacting her digestion.

Your vet is right that just use some unscented no added effect (like diaper rash cream or whatever they throw in baby wipes, a sensitive skin formula is probably best) wipes as needed. Oil on her butt would just make her want to lick her butt not clean herself after going potty. Not to mention that if she doesn't get the oil off it could cause problems, let's leave the oil as a failed solution and not try any other products back there. Remember that just a week ago her mom was probably still licking her butt to encourage her to potty. It will take a little time to learn how to do it herself. That's just one reason we recommend kittens stay with mom until they are 12-16 weeks.
I agree. My older cat is warming up to her. She has a serrate mom. I'm lucky. I'm using the human bum wipes on her. The paper towels maybe worse, making the urine spread through out the long hair. Ok no more oil. I put her in the letterbox every morning, during play, after naps. Usually, she does go; and leaves me presents. I praise her. I leave food out for her, and make sure the older cat cannot eat all her food. Instead of sleeping with me, she prefers to sleep with the older cat. I'm happy for them both. My older cat isn't mean and grumpy anymore.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thirteen, my long-ish haired tuxedo, had this problem and I did a serious trim of her backside fur.
Yeah... I tried that on my older cat. Her hair grew back all funky. Now, I give her bath once a month instead.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It wasn't my choice, I had to take her at 7 weeks. I voiced my concern that she was too young. She was going to go to someone else if I didn't step up.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve come home her bum smells. The older cat tries to clean her. The kitten wants to play instead. I’ve taken a warm paper towel with water and made the area wet. She is licking herself. I find the kitten grooming the older cat occasionally. I don’t know what to think.

Attachments

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I definitely agree with the toothbrush thing. USe a soft toothbrush to stroke her bum and she'll "learn" to clean herself like her mother would have. Good luck!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So through out the day, I have found something that works. I put the younger and older cat in a large carrier together. After a while the kitten will clean herself well! Then go to sleep. I feel bad for the older cat. She gets played on, bit, clawed if she tries to clean her. So I clipped the kittens nails! I think I found the solution to nightly baths! Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Attachments

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s too cold to shave them! The kitten has a heated cave To keep her warm.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a long hair kitten all my kittens were found. I used a warm wash cloth on her butt I would wet it the microwave it to get it warm I found her in my car when she was 3 weeks old, I found a male in the dumpster he was barely walking too and hasn’t had any trouble using the litter I do have to clean his butt once in a while. I realize on this site many people do judge harshly. In my town there are so many stray cats and rescues but it’s so expensive to get an animal fixed or even shots I got prices from 36 to 76 for first shots and animal shelters don’t take them. I don’t know where I was going with that. Lol. It’s okay to care for them young it’s like caring for a baby. Your doing the right thing about cleaning her. I bought wash clothes just for the bottoms

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Recently I adopted a 7 week old kitten. I am so happy with her! Every three days she has to get a bath. She does not groom herself in the rear. I clean her with bum cloths, and warm paper towels in between time.

My adult cat that she was introduced too, is bad about this as well. I will find dried poo in her fur, or on the carpet. The two of them are beginning to groom each other. I try to catch them as they are leaving the litter box to wipe their bottoms. I am not here 24/7, I have responsibilities.

So she wakes me up 3:30 am puts her dirty butt in my face.
Last night I put her face in her butt. She cleaned it. Luna helped her, she didn’t want her too. When her butt is dirty she puts it in Luna’s face. Sometimes Luna cleans, and the kitten attacks her. In the mean time I feel like she contaminants every thing in her path: my face, bedding, carpet with pee or poo smell. Signing out at 3:38 am. What stage do I get my carpets professionally clean? When can I stop locking her out of my bedroom? She’s so cute! I put her nose in her legs and it doesn’t help.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi,

So kitten began leaving surprises for me outside her box. First in a cardboard box with pine flakes. Ok my bad.
No new action.
Then I find a trail of shiny paws on my new liloniom floor. I get the proper cleaning tools.
Put everything a kitten needs in the bathroom and leave her there. Am I doing the right thing? It seems where Luna corrects her/hisses she leaves a deposit as to say ha ha ha.. I guess.
She still has a dirty bum she drags on my carpet in the other room.
Should she stay in this room until she maintains a clean butt herself?
I’d attach pictures of puddles, tracks, you can uses your imagination.
I’m tired of smelling like a cat lady with pee all over everything I own. I have to clean and make sure she cleans her own back.
I can’t live like this. My purse she crawls into even smells like pee.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I really think you should gently trim the fur around her bum. It will help.