new kitten-changed behaviour

Tracyfffffffff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone experienced changed behaviour from a new kitten they brought home? The new kitten name is Solis, 2 months, male, used to be very playful and confident.

Resident cat, name, Luna, female, 6 months, slow to warm up.

When I first brought Solis home, i
Put him in a small room & he was SO confident. He came out of the carrier right away, and was exploring, eating, playing and pooping within 15 minutes. After 3 days, it was clear he wanted out of the room.

I started doing scent swapping, site swapping, and although Luna started sniffing around more and sitting at the door. All seemed to be well.

I proceeded to baby gates + feeding.Solis would eat, but Luna would stare at first, but after a few days, they were both eating. They would swat each other through the gate though. No behaviour change from either really besides Luna sitting at the door.

So after a week, I decided to put them face to face. And maybe it was too soon.Solis was trying to play, and Luna takes it as a aggression. Luna will hiss, and lay on her back to fight. There is running away from Luna, and Solis chases. Solis sill
Play with a feather toy with Luna around, but Luna is very focused on Solis. So I separated them.

But now, Solis has seemed to have lost all his confidence! He is still affectionate towards me, but runs away if I open the door, walks very slow, isn’t eating the same amount and is clearly very distressed. I did buy some pheromones so I hope that kicks in soon.

Luna seems to be okay overall.

Luna is getting spayed in a week, and then of course her 2 weeks post surgery.

So my question is, do I go back to step 1, where they never see each other, and they are back in separate rooms? This would be for this week, and 2 weeks post surgery, which is awhile! Or do I jump back on the horse to face to face interactions, for this week, so Solis doesn’t remember Luna as a threat?

Regardless they’ll be separated while Luna recovers.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Since Luna is getting spayed in a week, and will need a bit of time for her recovery, I think that gives you the perfect opportunity to restart the introductions back at square one.

Usually introducing kittens goes quickly, but with Solis being so young, and showing signs of fear of Luna, the break will give him some time to grow and regain his confidence. We usually say things to watch for in cat introductions is fur flying, bloodshed, or one cat appearing scared of the other. Running away and then quickly coming back for more "fun" is fine, but visible fear means it's time to take a step back.

Here's a TCS article on How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles which might have some tips for you.
Also: How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles as things don't always go perfectly the first try.

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tracyfffffffff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Since Luna is getting spayed in a week, and will need a bit of time for her recovery, I think that gives you the perfect opportunity to restart the introductions back at square one.

Usually introducing kittens goes quickly, but with Solis being so young, and showing signs of fear of Luna, the break will give him some time to grow and regain his confidence. We usually say things to watch for in cat introductions is fur flying, bloodshed, or one cat appearing scared of the other. Running away and then quickly coming back for more "fun" is fine, but visible fear means it's time to take a step back.

Here's a TCS article on How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles which might have some tips for you.
Also: How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles as things don't always go perfectly the first try.

Good luck.
Thank you! It’s actually Luna who shows fear during the face to face time lol. Solis seems very cautious afterwards. So I guess ther see

Good luck.
Thank you.

I guess I’m just stumped because during the face to face interactions, Luna was the one who seemed scared, while Solis was playful. But not after the interaction, I can clearly see Solis’ behaviour gone complete 360. After the surgery recovery time, if he’s still acting timid, Should I wait until he’s acting like his confident self before trying introductions again? Will he ever be himself again or did I change his behaviour for good since he’s so young and impressionable?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise