new kitten/cat manipulates me?

Temisck1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, i made an account on this site because i just cant figure out my cat and i was some sort of explanation on what he is doing/wants.

I got a kitten about 2 days ago. (not my first cat, but im not very experienced with them) These cats i got from a couple who caught stray kittens and sold them, and this was my second kitten i got from them. The first kitten (Carbon) was very easy and started to like me about 2-3 days in. However, the second kitten (Tar) was very very shy, and I expected this at the start, but after 2 days he started acting very strange.
It began when i took him out of the corner hideyhole i made for him in my room, and i decided to try to handfeed him some normal cat food, he ate some but then after he was on my lap for about a minute eating, he suddenly became very affectionate, rubbing himself all over me and purring loud. And i was caught off guard, but once i put the food away (because i kept offering it to him and he didnt take it) he started looking for places to hide and suddenly ran off back into the corner. He constantly taunts me by meowing and looking right at me but then runs when i slowly walk up to him. I've heard of parasites that affect the brain, and i havent dewormed him yet.
one other thing I'd like to say is that the door was closed during this whole interaction.

Please give me advice on what i should do! Is it my fault? Do i just need to wait for him to get used to me for longer? :think:

tldr; my new stray? kitten acts very affectionate for a split second when i handfed him and then becomes scared again.
Thanks for reading! Sorry if this is rambling or anything, This is my first time on a forum.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perfectly normal. It took about a month for my two to not run away from me when I first got them. Just take it slow and eventually he will come around. May not be super affectionate but he will get used to you being around and won't run away. Definitely not parasites in the brain. :lol: It's only been two days. This is all new for him and he is scared of his new surroundings. Just keep showing him that you aren't big and scary and he will learn.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, perfectly normal, especially for a shy kitten. It could take a couple of weeks for him to really adjust. However, there are things you can do to help. One of them is not to walk towards him unless it is really necessary. Think of how BIG you look to a kitten, especially a fearful kitten! We're GINORMOUS! It would be like a 30' tall man walking toward you. Spend some time, a few minutes several times a day, sitting on the floor in the room where he is. Don't even look at him. Take a book or magazine, and read aloud in a soft voice. Let him come to you, and reward him with gentle affection. You can play more with him when he is more secure. Be patient. You already know that in the right circumstances, he's an affectionate little guy. Once the trust is there, you'll see it daily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Temisck1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, perfectly normal, especially for a shy kitten. It could take a couple of weeks for him to really adjust. However, there are things you can do to help. One of them is not to walk towards him unless it is really necessary. Think of how BIG you look to a kitten, especially a fearful kitten! We're GINORMOUS! It would be like a 30' tall man walking toward you. Spend some time, a few minutes several times a day, sitting on the floor in the room where he is. Don't even look at him. Take a book or magazine, and read aloud in a soft voice. Let him come to you, and reward him with gentle affection. You can play more with him when he is more secure. Be patient. You already know that in the right circumstances, he's an affectionate little guy. Once the trust is there, you'll see it daily.
Thank you! Ill definitely not walk towards him like i did cause i could see how that could be really scary for him. Im gonna try this and wait some more too. I suppose my expectations were pretty high for him to be extremely loving on the 3rd day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Temisck1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Perfectly normal. It took about a month for my two to not run away from me when I first got them. Just take it slow and eventually he will come around. May not be super affectionate but he will get used to you being around and won't run away. Definitely not parasites in the brain. :lol: It's only been two days. This is all new for him and he is scared of his new surroundings. Just keep showing him that you aren't big and scary and he will learn.
Thank you for the response! I think my expectation of him being perfectly tame and loving at the 2nd day was a bit off! :lol: Im going to wait some more and be less intrusive around him.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may be playing, too. It can be hard for new cat owners to tell when a kitty is playing! Try looking up some youtube videos to get a feel for cat body language.