New kitten can’t be found in house

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello all, I’m sorry to say I have no news yet. The cat posted by the humane society is actually at someone’s house, not the shelter. The finder decided to hold the kitty there. The humane society was contacting them to have them call me, but I haven’t heard yet. There has been no kitty sighting inside or out. My adult cat is acting the same as before the kitty came. Thanks for all the search suggestions- we’ve tried them but will keep an eye out. I put up signs in the neighborhood and talked with neighbors. That’s todays update :)
🤞 You get some news soon. Any sign of kitten munching on any of the snacks?

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh! do you have a fireplace? I've also heard of a kitten getting lost in/behind a fireplace before...

hoping your kitten is found and/or is the one the person has at their home. :redheartpump:

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Longshot: is there some app or device that can detect body heat? some sort of military head gear?
oh what an interesting and good idea! my library has infrared scanners that can be borrowed for free. (with the intent of using the to check your home heating/cooling for leaks but finding cats could possibly work, too?) maybe the OP can borrow, or buy one.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too bad these microchips don’t come w/ some kind of tracking app, but on the other hand, that couldn’t be good for a kitty, on so many levels. Good luck and will be sending you positive Chi!
No, the microchips absolutely can not be tracked in any way, shape or form. They just don't work like that.

Pet microchips work in a similar way to the RFID chip on your credit card:

When you put your credit card near a pay station at a retail store, a weak electromagnetic signal gets emitted which activates the circuits in the card. The card's circuits respond with a series of electronic pulses, kinda'-sorta' similar to Morse code. Those electronic pulses correspond to the numbers on your credit card. (They are encrypted in a special way to make it difficult to hack your card number.) When the pay station receives those coded pulses, it sends a coded message to the bank which will respond with a "Go" or "No-Go" signal that the store's computer uses to determine whether the payment is authorized.

Let's take the situation where a cat winds up in an animal shelter. By law, most shelters (in the USA) are required to scan every animal for a microchip. Shelter staff have a handheld scanner that looks a little bit like those handheld metal detectors that they use to search people at airports, only smaller. The staff member waves the wand over the animal's back. If there is a chip, it will respond in a very similar way as your credit card does at the store. The difference is that, instead of authorizing payment, the scanner shows the chip's serial number on a numeric display. If a chip is found and the number is read, shelter staff is obliged, by law, to look up the chip number in a national database and try to find the person that is registered as the owner of that animal.

There are no satellites or cell phones involved in this process. There are no GPS chips. There's no internet. As a matter of fact, in order for microchips or credit cards to work, they have to be within six inches of the scanning device.

You can buy GPS trackers that can be attached to your pet's collar but they are about as big as a silver dollar. A pet microchip is only about the size of a grain of rice.

Yes, GPS trackers DO have apps that can be used to determine the whereabouts of your pet, virtually 24/7.

If you want to be able to know where your pet is, 24/7, you'll need to use a GPS tracker, not an RFID microchip.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Longshot: is there some app or device that can detect body heat? some sort of military head gear?
Yes! There is such a thing! :) It's called "FLIR." (Forward-Looking Infra-Red)

It's a special type of digital camera that detects infrared waves (heat) and allows the resulting image to be displayed on your smart phone.

FLIR cameras are available and can be had from your favorite internet supplier. :)

It'll set you back about half a grand... :ohwell:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maggie101 maggie101 this that you pictured is exactly where we found the hole that I covered in duct tape. Must be just something cabinet fitters do. Not nice of them, many words I've been instructed over time to not use.

Maggie's post and her cabinets so like mine.
Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
maggie101 maggie101 this that you pictured is exactly where we found the hole that I covered in duct tape. Must be just something cabinet fitters do. Not nice of them, many words I've been instructed over time to not use.

Maggie's post and her cabinets so like mine.
Attachments
I wonder what's in there? Not sticking my hand in unless needed! Probably a big nest of roaches,ants or spider webs

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wonder what's in there? Not sticking my hand in unless needed! Probably a big nest of roaches,ants or spider webs
If you are willing to see what might be in there, use a mirror - no touching required! Now, if you find 'something' then you'll have to decide how to remove 'it'!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any more news/updates on this missing kitten???
Hello all-sorry for delay, worked two 12-hour days, ugh!
VERY GOOD NEWS TO SHARE!!
Xander has decided, as of 45 minutes ago, that it’s time to start sneaking out-after 6 days!!
It appears he has been under/behind the fridge. We already searched it, so maybe he just moved there, or hid there VERY well! In the last hour, he has interacted with our other cat, Finn, but hides when he hears us. But we are so happy. I don’t think it will be long before he warms up, because he’s coming out a lot. We have the bird cam in the kitchen to see him. 😃
Thank you SO MUCH for the suggestions and encouragement. I’ll post over the weekend some time with, hopefully, a great picture!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finn (on left) watching Xander (black blob by counter) down an entire can of food 🐈⬛
Wow, that is such amazing news!

Due to the length of time, I was worried that this thread was going to have a sad ending.

He deserves an entire can of food for hiding so well, like a ninja 😅

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess l W l is not such a distinctive marking after all! I've certainly seen W's before, but I figured how many tabbies of that age in the same approximate area can be lost at the same time with l W l ??? TWO apparently :flail:

Glad for the happy ending! Or phase one of the happy ending anyway!

Cue the speculation about whether that other tabby might be a sibling. There are a lot of tabbies out there, and siblings dont necessarily have similar markings, so as crazy as it sounds its probably unlikely.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all-sorry for delay, worked two 12-hour days, ugh!
VERY GOOD NEWS TO SHARE!!
Xander has decided, as of 45 minutes ago, that it’s time to start sneaking out-after 6 days!!
It appears he has been under/behind the fridge. We already searched it, so maybe he just moved there, or hid there VERY well! In the last hour, he has interacted with our other cat, Finn, but hides when he hears us. But we are so happy. I don’t think it will be long before he warms up, because he’s coming out a lot. We have the bird cam in the kitchen to see him. 😃
Thank you SO MUCH for the suggestions and encouragement. I’ll post over the weekend some time with, hopefully, a great picture!
Aaaaand exhale! Dang they are good hiders.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finn (on left) watching Xander (black blob by counter) down an entire can of food 🐈
Excellent! Glad you found him! :)

However, you might want to think about changing his name to "Kato!"

Kato was Inspector Clouseau's butler in the 'Pink Panther' movies, starring Peter Sellers.
Clouseau had ordered his butler, Kato, attack him at any time. It's how Clouseau tried to keep himself sharp. There's a scene in the movie where Clouseau creeps around his apartment, peeking around corners and searching inside of closets, trying to catch Kato before Kato can attack Clouseau.

You've been peeking in closets, all of this time, trying to find this little stinker of a kitten when he suddenly decides to show his face!

Very "Clouseau-esque!" ;) ;) ;)

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too! I was feeling very disturbed. I’m glad that we get a chance to know him now. ❤
Just wondering about the details that led up to this event...

Do you know if something spooked him? Or was he skiddish from the start, and just took his first chance to go into hiding?

Was there evidence that he ate anything during this whole time? From my understanding, a cat not eating for several days is dangerous, and they are very likely to find the drive to eat at least something if they get hungry enough.

My cat went at least several days without food when he was lost outside 9 years ago, before I found him (he was declawed, so no hunting ability), and he has had permanent health issues as a result of that starvation.