New Kitten And Looking For Advice

pep4uk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.. I'm new to the site but hoping someone can help me... My ragdoll kitten is 10weeks today. I am feeding her dry kitten food with whiskas kitten food in gravy aswell just a little at a time. But she seems to visit her litter tray not long after eating it.
Would I be best to leave her without the whiskas kitten food and just give her the dry complete kitten food?.. Then my other problem is when she goes in her hooded litter tray and has a poop I always check her when she comes out and her back paws have poop on them and sometime her tail n tummy and omg the smell lol... And I have to try n clean her I use baby wipes but not perfumes ones.. And can never get it all off her... Am I maybe putting to much litter in her tray?? . it is an xxl litter hooded tray and I put maybe 4inches of litter in it
Any advice would be great please.
Thankyou again so much .. Pep

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she having loose stool? If she is and you think the whiskas is causing it, you can try feeding just the dry for a few days and see if it makes a difference. If not then you know the whiskas isn't the problem.

Generally, starch and carbs make stool softer, bigger, and stinkier. Wet food is really beneficial for cats, reducing their health problems later in life, but you might want to pick one with more protein and fewer carbs. Fancy feast classic pates are a good budget option. Check the ingredients for sure, but the general rule is dry foods are going to have more carbs than wet food, and gravies are going to have more carbs than pate style wet foods.

Kittens are also really prone to intestinal parasitic microbes because their immune system isn't fully developed, so you can ask a vet if she seems to have one of the common diarrhea culprits.

Harder, more formed stool won't get on her paws as much. You can use a regular paper towel with warm water to clean her up, although they do also make pet wipes. Baby wipes probably won't hurt but I'd have to double check that. 4 inches is usually a good amount of litter for an average cat, although you can try 2 inches and see if it makes a difference. I guess it's possible that she's losing her footing in the litter and falling over? You might want to take the hood off for a bit and just observe to see what's happening in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pep4uk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou Molly. I wouldn't say she was loose.. Maybe a bit soft but not to point I would say really loose.. What kitten food would you say to try her on. I am going to take her to the vets on Monday just to get her checked over. And I have taken the hood off her tray .. I will keep u updated and thankyou for your reply x

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast has a turkey kitten food that's all meat. If you're willing to spend more, a couple other common good ones are Wellness and Merrick kitten pates. Wellness CORE kitten is even better. I also like Holistic Select and Whole Earth Farms canned (these are for all life stages, so they're good for adults and kittens). There are lots of others that are good too, I'm just most familiar with those.

Sounds like a good plan-hopefully as she gets older she'll get a little more coordinated too. She is a little cutie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pep4uk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will check the ones u mention molly as haven't heard any of them lol . Will keep u updated and thankyou again xx