New kitten has changed the household dynamic

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I do tend to post alot; apologies in advance. I don't really have anywhere to turn to for advice except for here.

So currently I have 3 cats. Billie, which was my sister's cat is 11yo, Jiggy who is almost 2 and Malibu, the new kitten who is now almost 15 weeks old.

Billie has always been a typical calico biatch from when she was young. Alot of people assume she is feral; she attacks anyone and everyone and this has always been the case even when she was the only animal in the household. Fast forward abit; Billie and Jiggy coexist pretty well, they keep to themselves and Billie hisses at her every now and again.

Now, Malibu has come into the picture. I completely expected a shift in dynamics don't get me wrong. I did the slow introduction with Billie and Jiggy. As expected, Billie just told her who's boss and they leave each other alone. Jiggy on the other hand who has been the most gentle, loving cat I've ever come across started to become abit withdrawn and was hissing at Malibu and she has never hissed in her life.

It's been 4 weeks and alot has improved; Jiggy is more playful, climbing the scratching post and has actually allowed Malibu to sit on the same couch with her. Today, they were both outside supervised and Malibu tried to chase her tail and Jiggy just kept cleaning her face.

Sorry for all the rambling but my question is: prior to Malibu arriving, Jiggy was always sleeping on my bed or in my room and because of the new kitten, she won't come up the stairs anymore and is mainly more outside. She has recently been coming in more so I think she's kind of adjusting to the kitten but is still abit weary.

What can I do to make Jiggy more comfortable? I've got 3 Feliways plugged in and did scent swapping. I feel so guilty that Jiggy would feel excluded but I try to spend equal time with both and the kitten has been sleeping in my room since I got her. Did I eff up by putting the kitten in "Jiggy's room"? Jiggy sleeps in the room next to my bedroom. I thought it would be best as I'd need to tend to the kitten more and she'd be supervised.

Also, another question which is not that important but I read that cats can't have brown eyes? Can someone please tell me what colour Malibu's eyes are?

Thanks for listening; I really appreciate it.
20191020_165237.jpg

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been 4 weeks and alot has improved; Jiggy is more playful, climbing the scratching post and has actually allowed Malibu to sit on the same couch with her. Today, they were both outside supervised and Malibu tried to chase her tail and Jiggy just kept cleaning her face.

Well, this is a very good sign. At least they do seem to get along together. Kittens do have the ability to melt anyone's heart, even the older cats. :) What about Billie? Is she still aloof to the newbie Malibu? She reminds me of my Bourbon who does not seem to get along fine with anyone. :)

prior to Malibu arriving, Jiggy was always sleeping on my bed or in my room and because of the new kitten, she won't come up the stairs anymore and is mainly more outside.

Give it time. Maybe Jiggy is just feeling a bit jealous of the attention Malibu is having from you. Just ensure that you still have that spot for her in bed and try to carry her to the bedroom at night before you go to sleep, play with her exclusively, etc. You know, when my Graham came to the picture, Bourbon was initially wary and also did not want to have anything to do with me. LOL. So I carried her around the house in my arms more than usual, kissed her and sing for her like a baby, played with her more. Then I would play with the both of them. And that did the trick. Now they are both sleeping with me again in bed at night.

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's my opinion that you just need to give Jiggy more time. Four weeks is not all that long. I have had new cats hiss and growl at each other for several months.

And for what it's worth...Malibu's eyes look brown to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, this is a very good sign. At least they do seem to get along together. Kittens do have the ability to melt anyone's heart, even the older cats. :) What about Billie? Is she still aloof to the newbie Malibu? She reminds me of my Bourbon who does not seem to get along fine with anyone. :)
Billie just looks at Malibu and walks away and if Malibu comes too close or wants to play, she'll get warned.

Give it time. Maybe Jiggy is just feeling a bit jealous of the attention Malibu is having from you. Just ensure that you still have that spot for her in bed and try to carry her to the bedroom at night before you go to sleep, play with her exclusively, etc. You know, when my Graham came to the picture, Bourbon was initially wary and also did not want to have anything to do with me. LOL. So I carried her around the house in my arms more than usual, kissed her and sing for her like a baby, played with her more. Then I would play with the both of them. And that did the trick. Now they are both sleeping with me again in bed at night.
Thank you so much for your advice. They've been chasing each other in the backyard today! So I think it's getting better day by day. Your babies are so gorgeous by the way!!