New Job Starting Today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wish me luck!! I have a working interview today in about 1 hour. Super nervous and tired as I couldn’t sleep.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I walked quit and walked out of my job at the ER tonight. I couldn't handle the abuse I was witnessing. I couldn't change it, or make a difference, so I could not just stand by and do nothing either. I am disgusted with the entire veterinary field at the moment.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Thanks for checking in.
I got yet another job. This one is a single doctor practice. days only. 15 minutes from the house. I worked 2 weeks and got ill. Still have the job, just can't work till I feel better.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I walked quit and walked out of my job at the ER tonight. I couldn't handle the abuse I was witnessing. I couldn't change it, or make a difference, so I could not just stand by and do nothing either. I am disgusted with the entire veterinary field at the moment.
~ Welcome to the club — as sad as it is .

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m in Southern California. There are many nasty illnesses going around here.

platty

Hobbyist Bengal Cat Breeder
Adult Cat
Purraise
old post but i hope you settled into the job! its always scary at first

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This new job is very different. The vet is old school but does welcome new ideas and is willing to try my suggestions. Unfortunately, I only worked there about 2 weeks and I got really sick, so now I’ve missed 3 weeks. But she texts me every day to see how I am doing.

Sadly my 13 yr old cat, Cheetah, isn’t doing well. She has intestinal lymphoma,hyperthyroidism, asthma, a mass in her abdomen, and some nodules in her lungs. She also has food allergy. I think she is also having kidney issues, as she is dehydrated. She had high markersfor heart enzymes in her bloodwork a year ago, so I have to be careful with fluids, only doing about 50cc at a time. She has been lethargic all day today, so I am worried about her.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This job can be really funny. The vet has a pretty bad rep for abusing staff. No, I am not abused. But she is hard on the other employees. Sometimes I stick up for them, sometimes I don’t.

She, the vet, has this habit of telling me to talk to a cat owner about diet, and I do. I take them into a room and start the fat cat talk. The fat cat talk is where I gently and privately let them know their cat is morbidly obese and at risk for life threatening complications.

I have a talk I do where I just try to first get them to understand the risks, then to understand how bad the cat must feel, and then try to find out what the cat’s eating style is and how he is fed and what he is fed.

I go into a discussion on the way cats haven’t really evolved since they were domesticated, and I go into what wild cats do and how they eat and spend their time.

I don’t just talk at them, I try to engage them in the discussion and most find it interesting, I think. I also get to learn allot about their cat and their lifestyle to better incorporate a plan that will work for them.

It never fails. She asks me to talk to them, I get 2 minutes in and she comes in and starts talking. I have tried ignoring her and continuing to talk but she gets more involved. So now, I am going to try walking out politely of course. I tried it today and she said” go ahead, I’m just listening” then started talking over me again.

I’m at this hospital for a reason. Maybe it’s to learn patience.

Just desperately needed to vent.