New home- letting cats outside

SashaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
We have just moved to our new home last weekend. We used to live in the same street on the opposite side of the road.

We have 2 older cats. One is more nervous than the other. They have seemed to surprisingly have settled really well. They have happily explored every room and will sit with us on a night time and have been sleeping in our bed as usual.

We have bought harnesses to take them out in the garden to get used to the sounds and smells. I know most people say to keep them in for quite a few weeks but is this necessary when they only lived down the street?

The more confident of the two seems to happily explore the garden with her harness on and is affectionate while out, rubbing against legs and purring.
The more nervous one seems to be looking for a way to climb out of the garden so I know she needs more time.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SashaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would continue to let them out only when harnessed and in their own back yard. It is the safest and will help them learn their new home,
Thanks.
The more confident one is showing an interest with the garden on her own. Just a little unsure as to whether to allow her that little bit of time out without the harness and supervised or not.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The danger I see is that without a harness they may try to go back to their old home, which involves crossing the street. Even if it's not a busy street it takes only one car at the wrong moment to kill your cat.

SashaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The danger I see is that without a harness they may try to go back to their old home, which involves crossing the street. Even if it's not a busy street it takes only one car at the wrong moment to kill your cat.
Yeah I get that...but there is no stopping her crossing the street anyways. She used to cross the street before we moved. We tried our best to not let her but theres not really much that can be done about it. I was tempted to buy a device that stops cats from going in the front garden to deter this but she will probably just go through other gardens and cross at a different spot.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the yard big enough for a catio? That's one way to allow the cats outside but in a safe way.

SashaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That wouldn't be an option at the minute really. The door is on the side of the house and the path is unfinished due to building work we have had done. I'm not too sure about blocking them in either as they have always been used to exploring outdoors. We live right next to a large park and the more confident cat would be in there everyday. I'm just really looking for rough timescales or any signs that they may show.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately there isnt a time frame, any time you let a cat roam there are always risks involved. I'd keep them in the yard for a month or so. Not sure if you have fencing that could be catified so that they stay in the yard?

SashaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure whether its different or not in the US but in the UK I don't think it's very common for cats to be kept in a garden and they roam pretty freely. We have a fenced garden but the cats are able to climb it. Also I don't think I've ever actually seen a catio in the UK.

I appreciate all the advice. Think I will give the more confident one until next weekend when I'm off work to allow her out on her own (supervised in the garden).

We only lived around 4 houses down from where we are now so hoping if she does go back she will be fine ( it's my Mums house so I can easily call or get access to the house if she goes there).