new home, kitties still not getting along

katpersonkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello again sweet cat site friends, I have posted a few times here and have received great advice, and am back once more for some more help.

a little background on our situation:
my girlfriend and I moved in together in September in a large communal house that I was already living at with my cat, Legs (3 y/o, F, indoor/outdoor), and my girlfriend brought her kitty into the picture, Coca (9y/o, F, indoor). We have been following cat intro guidelines and spending lots of quality time, feeding together, etc on either side of a gated door. Note: Legs has cohabited with cats prior and been fine, however Coca had never lived with another cat (and it shows) however had been indoor/outdoor in a previous living situation. Unfortunately, they had a bit of a marking battle and it seemed to escalate when we would swap their spaces between the bedroom/rest of the house, so with moving on the horizon, we kept Coca in the room and Legs to roam the rest of the house. then, come mid-January, we have moved to our own 1 bedroom apartment.

the situation now:
Legs is staying indoors for the time being (and maybe forever as she seems to be doing well). we have a gated doorway that we keep open when we are home with the cats and can supervise (we close the door when away and sleeping). We swap the cats every few hours between the bedroom and the rest of the apartment, and they share litter boxes, food and water as those stay in their respective spaces, with no issue or hesitation. When we switch them, I hold Legs and let Coca walk into or out of the room, and she doesn't have an issue at all it seems while I'm holding Legs.
We have feliway multicat diffusers in both spaces. We do nightly feeding and quality time on either side of the gate, and they spend a lot of time throughout their days staring at each other through the gate, hiding behind things and trying to get a glimpse at the other-they seem nervous. We play music for cats by David Teie a LOT (highly recommend as sleeping music too!). We always have someone sleeping with each cat, one on the couch and one in the bedroom. We had two marking incidents from Legs in the bathroom right when we moved in, but it seems to have resolved itself and we haven't had a relapse in two weeks.

their behavior:
Legs seems curious but scared- calm demeanor with an anxious tail thwap and anxious breathing. Coca huffs with a low, sustained growly meow often and will rush the gate and hiss/growl when Legs gets too close, and Legs will bolt in the opposite direction to hide. Often Coca will aggressively bite the closest thing to her in her stress, more often then not one of us to our dismay. Once, there was a breech through the gate (it has been secured since) where Legs escaped and walked into the bathroom and Coca chased her from the living room and they were both screaming and it was a bad fight. :( no injuries but both were shooken up and it sounded very very aggressive on both their parts, both in pursuit of the other.

our goals:
we just want them to be able to coexist without hurting each other. please help! we know this takes patience and are prepared to keep being patient, we are just hoping for any sort of tips or advice we haven't heard or thought of yet. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The one thing I can tell you off the bat (but I will be thinking about this) is that when you moved homes, you started the introduction process back at 0. Try taking EVERYTHING back to 0. It's as if these cats have never had any introductions at all.

These articles may have some tips that you haven't explored yet:

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the advise above, start the reintroduction process over again, and go slow. I'm not sure if you said how long its been since you've moved but it can take a LOT of time for cats to even just be civil with each other. We had to do the reintroduction process three times with our two cats and eventually we felt comfortable enough letting them have access to each other but things still weren't perfect. Its been about three months since bringing our 2nd cat into our home. Things have improved greatly but the progress has happened very slowly. They still get into tiny spatz now and then but it lasts for a few seconds and they go their separate ways and then other times I will find them laying an inch next to each other on the couch lol. Some cats have very interesting relationships but as long as they are able to safety be around each other, thats all we can wish for! Age and gender can also be a factor and some cats personalities just mesh better than others but I'm sure you'll get there. Definitely look into the articles provided above and don't stress yourself out to much over there wellbeing as crazy as it sounds (I just say this because we were so nervous to finally just let them be around each other because he had our expectations set too high at first). Clawing, growling, and hissing is bound to happen but it should hopefully keep happening less and less, just always make sure there are never any injuries (we felt better knowing our cats nails were trimmed and we always monitored our cats behavior together when reintroducing them). It may take several months but they should acclimate with time, best of luck! :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You're kind of dealing with a double issue - cats trying to get used to a new home, and cats trying to get used to being around a new cat. Keep an eye out on how well they are adapting to their new surroundings to ensure there is a comfort level on each of their parts throughout the entire apartment before the cat-to-cat introductions begin. A new home is stressful enough, without adding the 'another cat' factor at the same time. IMO, the more confident that they feel in their new home, the less likely that aspect will have as much of an impact on the introduction process.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I feel for you! I've been through cat introductions before and sometimes they're no fun. Sounds like you're doing everything right. One thing to keep in mind is it's only been a month in the new home. Sometimes these things can take months. Hang in there.