new hobbies??

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since most of us have been stuck at home for awhile, I was wondering if the pandemic has sparked new hobbies for anyone? I haven't tried anything new, but I need to. I am bored out of my mind since I can't work in the yard because it is winter.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Not really. My thing has always been "I want lots of time to read!" and that's what I've been doing. I still color once in a while, usually at the table in the WeShed. We gave up on jigsaw puzzles for a while. But I've started to watch more tv and that's not really good. Still, I really do enjoy the shows that I'm watching, so I guess it's OK.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve been embroidering a bit, and I’m reading more.
But I've started to watch more tv and that's not really good. Still, I really do enjoy the shows that I'm watching, so I guess it's OK.
I feel that. I always feel guilty watching tv or being on my phone, but other times I think, “it’s Covid!” Of course, being productive is great, but there’s nothing wrong with unwinding and relaxing :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's more that I have kids at home than being a homebody that has kept me busy. I haven't found any of this free time people talk about. :crazy: I have spent more time here again; because it's just a nice place to chat with good people. But I'm good at entertaining myself. I guess that's the upside of having been an introverted only child. If everything else is done; I get to read! Yesterday I got an e-mail from Amazon with a bunch of suggested books by the same author. I've read all her books at least 5 times. :lol:

I have been tempted by the Diamond Art kits that are out though. They look fun! I've resisted but some friends do them and they look like you can get lost in them in a similar way to a puzzle. Without the puzzle concept.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't started any new hobbies. I would like to find an indoor, inexpensive, non frustrating hobby. That would not include sewing, knitting of crocheting. I don't have the patience for those unless forced. I suppose I could try my hand at writing again. I was just asked for an article on show grooming by one of the Persian clubs I used to belong to for their quarterly magazine. I sent the the one I have on my website. My problem with writing is I have to really concentrate and right now there are so many distractions. I do enjoy baking - especially bread, but since we are both diabetic that is done sparingly.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs Since you are A) frustrated that gardening is on hold until spring arrives and B) love to grow what you can eat, how about growing some sprouts? In my hippy dippy days I used a glass jar with some window screening held in place with either a canning jar ring or a rubber band. A spoonful of seeds, water, tilt and rinse, and pour out extra water. Mung beans were the basic go-to. There are all sorts of other little greens. Look at Johnny's Selected Seeds for one good source, and the other "usual suspects" such as Burpee.
Mung Beans_2020-04_bean sprouts ready to harvest.jpg

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried sketching in lockdown last year and have improved quite a bit in my drawing skills.

I'd like to get back into playing the piano again.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not new, but I started knitting again, haven't picked up the needles for 15 or so years. And then recently I tried crocheting again - that hasn't gone as well, but I'm not giving up.

However, I guess my new hobby is buying yarn. I'm out of control.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs Since you are A) frustrated that gardening is on hold until spring arrives and B) love to grow what you can eat, how about growing some sprouts? In my hippy dippy days I used a glass jar with some window screening held in place with either a canning jar ring or a rubber band. A spoonful of seeds, water, tilt and rinse, and pour out extra water. Mung beans were the basic go-to. There are all sorts of other little greens. Look at Johnny's Selected Seeds for one good source, and the other "usual suspects" such as Burpee.
We aren't fans of sprouts particularly. I am about to start my onions seeds (as soon as they arrive from the supplier). I may try my old keyboard that I haven't touched in 20+ years. I still have my sheet music too. Probably would be good for my arthritis! I was NEVER good. but enjoyed trying.