New Here!

JannyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new here, for posting at least anyways, I lurked a lot when I realized my cat was pregnant and learned so much from this site. I thought I'd introduce my new little family that got massive help from reading here!!

Mom, Smudge, (tonkinese/ragdoll) and dad, Oliver, (ragdoll and whoever his momma met up with when she got out, and an EXCELLENT coparent to his kittens@
20180605_105546.jpg
20180608_100154.jpg
20180610_114120.jpg
20180610_120430.jpg
27983329_10160280056000268_5801526651572752531_o.jpg
), and their kits :)

Just wanted to say thank you for all the info I got from here as I was going thru my very first journey into being a kitten midwife :)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm new here, for posting at least anyways, I lurked a lot when I realized my cat was pregnant and learned so much from this site. I thought I'd introduce my new little family that got massive help from reading here!!

Mom, Smudge, (tonkinese/ragdoll) and dad, Oliver, (ragdoll and whoever his momma met up with when she got out, and an EXCELLENT coparent to his kittens@View attachment 236449 View attachment 236450 View attachment 236451 View attachment 236452 View attachment 236453 ), and their kits :)

Just wanted to say thank you for all the info I got from here as I was going thru my very first journey into being a kitten midwife :)
J JannyCat - Welcome to TCS, and especially to the Photos Forum. The look on poor Smudge's face in the final photo is priceless.

upload_2018-6-12_18-8-33.jpeg

"Isn't it enough that I take care of the kittens? Get this darned Snowshoe off me!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JannyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
haha, this was about the time I realized she was pregnant. He is very loyal to her, always has to be with her. He loves the kittens too, he grooms and potties them, which I thought was really unusual with male cats. I keep them separated when I'm not home, but when I am home, he's allowed into the kitten room and when Smudge is in the nest, he's always laying right in front, or beside it, like he's guarding his family. Both are excellent parents!

JannyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. They just stole my heart!

I do want one more litter out of them. I know this site advocates for fixing animals and every animal I've ever owned, and there have been many, has been fixed. I have never owned an intact pet apart from these two. There is a personal story behind this that I won't get into but this litter, and the next already have owners, who I know will have them all fixed. It's a personal thing and I'm close to each and every person who wants a kitten. I could not invesr the time or energy into kittens and have strangers take them. One more litter down the road and both will be fixed.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A hearty :welcomesign: janny cat to you and your lovely feline family. How woonderful to have the complete family with mum and dad! Are you planning to keep all the kitties? They are adorable.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. They just stole my heart!

I do want one more litter out of them. I know this site advocates for fixing animals and every animal I've ever owned, and there have been many, has been fixed. I have never owned an intact pet apart from these two. There is a personal story behind this that I won't get into but this litter, and the next already have owners, who I know will have them all fixed. It's a personal thing and I'm close to each and every person who wants a kitten. I could not invesr the time or energy into kittens and have strangers take them. One more litter down the road and both will be fixed.
Although you don’t go into your reasons, I am sure I can understand where you are coming from.

From a different perspective, I would encourage you to think about how much easier all of your lives can be when they can just be friends, without risk. Since she shouldn’t have another litter for a year, they will have to be separated an awful lot.

In addition, it’s always worth considering (and considering again) whether a litter is worth the health of your girl. Pregnancy and birth can and do result in health emergencies, and of course each heat cycle increases the risk of reproductive cancer down the line.

JannyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Golondrina, No, I'm not keeping any of them, but they all had homes before they were even born and I'm close with all the forever homes so I will get to see them often :) When she has her second, and last litter, all the kittens already have homes as well, even though they'll have to wait awhile. It's a family thing that I prefer not to get into but I know they'll all be loved, looked after and fixed.

Thanks Talkingpeanut. I am aware of the risks. This is her first litter, she'll be having no more than 2 and then they're both getting fixed. Keeping them separated when I'm not home is easy but I do understand that accidents can happen and I'm doing my best to watch for that. I have 2 vets near me, one who I know personally so I'm well prepared for any emergencies with any of my pets (I also have 2 dogs - both fixed, don't worry :))

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many thanks jannyCat for your reply. After my post to you I re-read your previous post and realized that you had already explained the situation. Bur as you probably know we cannot edit a post after a couple of hours. Thanks for being so patient.