New here!

bruce h

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone and Meow to all the cats reading this over your human's shoulder!

My name is Bruce and I am owned by just one cat, Buck. Buck is a Siamese of mixed ancestry that I got from the local Humane Society when he was about 5 months old. Buck will be 17 years old this coming February and is the picture of health. People comment all the time that they have a hard time believing how old he is.

I have had cats all my life (I'm 65) and Buck is, without question, the best cat I have ever had! He is not just friendly and outgoing with my wife and I, but he is the same way with total strangers in our house. From the standpoint of health, he has been perfect. The only time he has ever been to the vet is for checkups and vaccinations.

I also can't believe how tolerant Buck is. My wife and I show and breed Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (they weigh 15 to 19 pounds) and Buck not only tolerates the dogs, he seeks a few of them out. His favorite thing is when 3 of the dogs lick him all over the face and head! By the time Buck decides he has had enough, his whole head is soaking wet!

This is one of my favorite pictures of Buck introducing himself to a puppy that is about 7 weeks old. 

Last edited by a moderator:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Awww, how can she resist that cute little face begging for treats?!  

Welcome to TCS.  

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Bruce!! Buck is really something!! I love the picture where he's lowering his head to meet the puppy. What an intelligent and empathetic cat Buck is.

He looks almost exactly like my cat's father. I rescued Robin when he was 2 1/2 months old from the semi feral cat colony on my street. I'd come home from work to find a Snowshoe looking cat (later identified as the likely father) sleeping next to my front door, my kitten on the other side. The mother was already pregnant again. Whoever says Siamese are cool and aloof never met one. Robin takes after both parents, his coloring after his father. His empathy after his father.

I wish you many many more happy years with Buck!!! How blessed is he to have found you and your wife.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bruce h

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a beautiful cat!! I really like the markings around the nose. I have always had a soft spot for the Siamese look.

Yep, Buck is the exact opposite of aloof. When we have puppy people over to visit their puppy when the pups are young, Buck always comes out looking for attention. The only downside is that some people are allergic and we lave to lock Buck in the back bedroom and listen to him cry because he can't come out to meet and greet!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, Welcome to The Cat Site.

He's a gorgeous cat. I have a cat that looks a bit like him. She's not a Siamese, she's just a pointed ex-feral kitten that I found. She's super friendly too. Most ex-feral cats are very wary of strangers, but Sophie runs up to any guests we have to give them head butts. 

She's never met a dog though, I wonder how she'd react to friendly puppies?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bruce h

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would guess she would do fine, just not necessarily immediately. We have sold puppies to a lot of people with one or more cats and what we hear is that the resident cats can take anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks to tolerate a puppy. If a puppy gets too over the top with a cat, it generally only takes a couple light swats from the cat and the puppy learns to leave the cat alone. And there are a million places a cat can go that a puppy can't.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the site, @Bruce H!

Buck and Robin are both beautiful cats! Our cat Edwina is a snowshoe mix, too, and, though she's a little aloof around people she doesn't know, she's very friendly with us and even sleeps at my feet. (She's all flopped out on my lap as I type, purring...) The picture of Buck looking at the plate reminds me of Edwina sniffing at food! She's a bit of a piglet.

Here's one of my favorite photos of Edwina.

brendan2282

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!  Max & Phoebe send their regards to Buck, especially :)