New Here With A New 5 Month Old Calico With A Question

kellic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Nice to meet everyone! We adopted Patches from our local humane animal rescue league on Saturday. She is a little over 5 months old and came from house that abandoned her and several other cats, so she is quite needy, but very sweet, friendly and a constant purrer. Problem is that we work and go to school and I just feel bad leaving her alone. We have a nice set up for her in the basement, where she can't get hurt. We have a cat perch, her food, litter box, toys and a couple of cat beds with nice comfy blankets on them, I even have a nightlight for her. Am I a mean mom for keeping her in the basement when no one is home or is asleep? I have her upstairs when someone is at home to make sure she knows what she can or cannot do, for instance, not to eat the christmas tree. LOL! My cat literally has everything she could ever need, I just feel bad when she has to go to the basement. Am I doing the right thing by not allowing her to roam freely through the house when we are not home or even asleep? Or do I allow her to do that once she is trained and a little older? I haven't had a cat in over two decades and the one I had was by no means an affectionate cat, she preferred to be away from people. This one is needy and we all feel bad leaving her. However, next month we have a german shepherd puppy coming to keep her company, I hope that will be a good thing. Thanks for any advice

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will be fine, I agree with you on letting her get a little older before she has full run of the house. A puppy is good, she will be able to handle taht, after a while of course. They should grow up m to be friends. A full grown dog might have been a different story. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kellic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I knew we were going to be getting the german shepherd pup and that is why I chose a little bit older kitten and not an adult cat, to ensure that these two will get along and become friends and to also keep each other company.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear that when you're not there they spend most of the time sleeping or looking out the window, anyway. I do see some toys in different places when I get home, but for the most part I think that's accurate. So she's probably fine!

Welcome, by the way, from one calico lover to another.

kellic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, they do sleep alot, I'm just a worried momma because she was abandoned by her previous family.

Thanks for the welcome, calico's are just so sweet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave3: Congrats on adopting Patches. :catrub: Can you post a picture of her? :camera:

About leaving her in the basement, since she comes from an environment with other cats, she might be feeling lonely, however, she is still quite young, so it is better for her safety to keep her in a safe place while you are away.

Friends of mine have a kitten a few months older than Patches and they keep him in a "cat room" in the basement when they are at work or away from the house. They do let him have free range at night, and he mostly sleeps on the bed with them. However, they do sometimes have to take him down to his room in the middle of the night when he become too much of a "lets play" kitten at 3 AM. ;)

Here's an article on introducing cats and dogs that may be helpful, for when the puppy arrives.
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and Patches (and the pup, when it gets there). I think it is just fine to keep her where she is safe for now, so long as she is with you when you are at home. Especially until that very tempting Christmas tree is gone! It's a rare kitten that can resist a Christmas tree.

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does your basement have a window she can look out from? If no I would personally not leave her there, she could get bored and it can be a bit claustrophobic for them if they don't have windows. Personally but this is personal I would kitten proof my home and let her roam free: I would feel that it would let her feel more confident that she actually own her territory and make her more part of the family.

kellic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much! I will post a pic! She is getting adjusted and actually likes the basement now lol, but is so happy to see us when we get home and loves to spend the evening with us, especially the kids. I'm thinking she and the pup will get along great and it will help ease her loneliness during the day.