New here - I'm Melanie

Melanie (Meowtel)

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I'm new to the site but wanted to introduce myself.

I've been a cat lover since I was an itty bitty. My current cat, the love of my life, is Maxwell Wellington. He's between 15-17; I found him as a young adult stray 14 years ago back in Upstate New York. Since then, he's lived in NYC, WA State and LA. He takes cross country flights at least twice a year and has made many road trips to Vegas.

Because of him, I've learned a lot about chronic illnesses that tend to pop up as cats age. Max has chronic pancreatitis, IBD, hyperthyroidism, high BP and hip dysplasia (and likely subsequent arthritis). Most recently started exhibiting signs of Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (CDS), which often known as kitty dementia. He's a happy boy and is still totally himself except for the few and far between bouts of CDS (I know when he's ready to say goodbye, he'll let me know).

2 years ago, I had a bit of a realization and decided to quit the only industry I've ever worked in (Entertainment) and shift into Animal Welfare. I started cat sitting and loved it. My first kitty had congestive heart failure which finally came to a head when I was watching him. I was able to get him to the vet, then the ER, and subsequently saved his life. That's when I knew I had made the right choice to change paths.

After that, I lobbied for a job with Meowtel (a cat sitting platform) and now I work for their HQ as well as sitting. Because of Max, my specialty is senior and special needs animals. I have many cats with chronic kidney disease (CKD) or failure, a cat with megacolon, a blind cat, multiple cats on medications, cats that require subs fluids. I've learned how to administer insulin shots as well. I even have a pup in a wheelchair (I know, I know, we're cat people here.)

If anyone has any questions about any of the things mentioned (ailments or otherwise), comment below. Thanks!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-790604.jpg
Melanie and Max, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
IMG_3649.GIF
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Do post photos of Max for us to see :camera:

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! Hi and Welcome to you and Max!:welcomesign:As a kitty lover you will find yourself surrounded by others who share your passion.
Just so your pup doesn’t feel left out, there is a place on TCS for other types of companions. Lol
I don’t know if you have explored the site yet but there are lots of places where your experience can be helpful to others. There are places for sharing knowledge laughter and fun! I hope I’ll be seeing you around the site,
Kitty Photos are always enjoyed! Hint, hint!:)

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, welcome to you both! Yes please post pictures. We need them :redtabby: and love them! I have 2 seniors, a 12 year old and a 13 year old, both new adoptions. I've decided to only adopt senior kitties from now on. And my other 2 are 2 years old and 5 1/2 years old.
So much good stuff on here. And people.
Welcome!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS Melanie and Maxwell Wellington! :welcomesign: I'm glad you followed your heart and pursued your passion. The animals are lucky to have you in their lives. As for your pup in a wheelchair, please feel free to tell us a little something about him here:
Other Pets & Animals
In the meantime, we would love to see pics of your fur family. :camera: