New Here! But Had A Question.....

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, @Anne .

Cattified Cattified - I won't suggest directly that you back away from this breeder, but if you do, I'd make the same suggestion which abyeb abyeb makes quite often in cases such as this: your best avenue toward finding a serious, ethical breeder is the Cat Shows. They give you the opportunity to chat with breeders on a one-on-one basis, and allow you to see the direction which different breeders are taking for traits and characteristics in their cats - and given the fact that a large percentage of breeders seem to be moving away from the Traditional Himalayans, and toward cats who are increasingly brachycephallic, seeing cats and meeting breeders at the shows will provide you a better opportunity to find exactly the kitten you're looking for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cattified

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm that's interesting. Well I will say that he offers his kittens at a starting price of $600.00. I notice that Himalayans are usually offered at a price probably starting at $900.00 as they usually come from Champion blood lines if i'm not mistaken but that does raise an eyebrow. My husband isn't concerned about them coming from champion bloodlines and wouldn't mind even adopting from a shelter which I could understand but I'm mostly concerned about transparency to be honest.

Hey but thanks for giving me that information that will help for me to make a better judgement when I do go up there.

Cattified

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, @Anne .

Cattified Cattified - I won't suggest directly that you back away from this breeder, but if you do, I'd make the same suggestion which abyeb abyeb makes quite often in cases such as this: your best avenue toward finding a serious, ethical breeder is the Cat Shows. They give you the opportunity to chat with breeders on a one-on-one basis, and allow you to see the direction which different breeders are taking for traits and characteristics in their cats - and given the fact that a large percentage of breeders seem to be moving away from the Traditional Himalayans, and toward cats who are increasingly brachycephallic, seeing cats and meeting breeders at the shows will provide you a better opportunity to find exactly the kitten you're looking for.

Yep I'll definitely look into that for sure

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I notice that Himalayans are usually offered at a price probably starting at $900.00 as they usually come from Champion blood lines if i'm not mistaken but that does raise an eyebrow.
Typically, the up-front cost of a kitten reflects the kitten's twelve to fourteen weeks' initial care, and the costs of medical testing, et al. Buying into a bloodline for breeding purposes is rather more expensive than purchasing a kitten from a breeder with the express "must be desexed" clause being fulfilled before the breeder will release the Blue Slip.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL...and THIS is why I wanted this thread in this forum! NOW you have the people who know what's what answering you!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to say up front that I really can't be objective on this subject since I believe the only reason to breed is to IMPROVE the breed and deliberately breeding pets isn't improving it. However, that is not the question. I waited from May to October to get my first silver. It took that long because I had to build a relationship with the breeder since I was buying a breeding cat and I was new. He could be legit, but my gut feeling is to back away. As for breeding other peoples cats, he could be new and these cats could be his foundation cats. You have to get your breeders from somewhere. If he tests for PKD as stated I would ask for a copy of the test results and not just take his word, or just glance at it. With my kittens as a courtesy, I always gave the owners copies of any genetic testing done.
I can recommend some Himi catteries if you would like. These cats will be more expensive but well worth the money. Keep in mind also that price does vary based on location somewhat. The going pet price from my color (Silver and golden) here in the northeast is around $700 -900. Down south I have heard as little as $300. Out west I know that some are getting $1000 to $1500. for pets.
For the suggestion in calling the CFA, it is best to check here to find if there is a problem:http://cfa.org/Portals/0/documents/org/disciplinary-suspensions.pdf
One thing I don't understand. Why couldn't the first kitten be registered with the CFA if both parents are registered?

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay I am late to this, but a couple of things. I don't think he is really a "bad" or "unethical breeder" but I do thing he is having more litters a year than a typical CFA cattery would, and although there are legitimate reasons why you couldn't get these kittens, in the most recent litter with the majority being flame points and your family being put on hold for seven whole months -he should have put you as a priority plain and simple.
A good cattery has a waiting list and whoever is at the top, by this point that has to be you, gets first pick AND if something happens to their kitten they have the option to choose from other in the litter even if they are technically "taken". That's just how the waiting list works.
I would wait for the UTI to be figured out with this kitten, and if something else comes up then get your money back and go elsewhere. I 100% recommend touring his cattery though. Make sure he is ethical and that the cats are not housed in cages and are treated as part of the family.

Cattified

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! sorry I wasn't able to update everyone on what was going on. So after being told about the kitten w/ the URI and the other kitten needing an eye surgery, he gave us the option to either wait 3+ more weeks for his URI to clear up or we can wait till August 2nd for the other kitten to heal from surgery. He then told me about other kittens he would have available and sent me pictures of other kittens. We saw one of a blue tabby persian that was coming from a different breeder and we decided to wait 2 weeks for him to be ready. Now thinking third times a charm and nothing could possibly happen knowing that we've waited almost over 8 months for a kitten...2 weeks later he messages that the breeder "accidentally sold him" to someone else. He told me he either forgot to tell the breeder to hold him or the breeder forgot. So he then gave me the option to refund our money or choose a different cat. iIsimply told me to refund our money. He seemed so nonchalant and unconcerned with the fact that we've waited so long and it was irritating. Nonetheless, we did receive our refund and then that was that. No kitten from him after 8 months.

In the middle of all of this a fellow member PM'd me about going through the same thing with this breeder and how she had to wait 4 months but got a refund a lot sooner. She recommended me another breeder she got a kitten from that was also in GA so I decided to contact her and within a week I received a cream/white persian kitten at almost 10 weeks old. She's a doll. I will have photos attached for you all below.

*DanielsDencats did message me one final time complaining about being "Google branded for life" which i'm not sure what that means but he doesn't seem very happy. I'm assuming it may have something to do w/ me posting here but i'm not too sure..?

Anywho, I appreciate you all helping me through this matter and everything is solved and we now have a new addition to the family. We named her Pita cause she looks like a pita pocket lol.

Attachments

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG she is absolutely stunning!!!! I don't think any of Daniels cats were as beautiful as this baby! Great choice! FYI-- breeders should know word of mouth is the best referral (or the opposite) & so it was... I can't say feel badly for him. Not saying he's a bad breeder, but without great customer service and standards to match, you get what you put out there.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I love Pita! She's the cutest little fluffball! I hope to see more pictures of her as she grows up.

Cattified

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
KatsPurrrsians KatsPurrrsians Thank you! I agree it seems you do find the best ones through word of mouth. Customer service was lacking with our last breeder and I don't feel very bad either you gotta put your customers first. abyeb abyeb I will definitely keep y'all updated with pictures she's growing so fast lol but thank you!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry I'm late to your thread but I read through all the posts and greatly appreciate how the members on this forum offered their professional and knowledgeable expertise. It is a true testament to their love of cats! :clap: Thank you, abyeb abyeb , 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine , posiepurrs posiepurrs , @arouetta, haleyds haleyds , Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 and anyone else who I may have inadvertently omitted. I am thrilled that you walked away from the other breeder and their was a twist of fate in finding Pita. :creampersian:

Cattified Cattified I am head over heels in love with your new girl. :redheartpump: She is positively adorable and I wish you many long years together. In fact, she reminds me slightly of what my Carleton may have looked like as a kitten but since we rescued him I guess we'll never know. Once again, congrats and I can't wait to see more lovely pics.

Last edited: