New here and new advice..

ptamom2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, new cat owner. Never had cats before (since childhood) due to asthma and allergies. We just adopted my dh's grandfather's cat because no one wanted her and I just couldn't leave her.

Jimma is 12-14yrs old. A very beautiful cat but not a lap cat. She will meow for me to pet her and starting to follow us around.

She was on can cat food and friska's packaged food. I discovered she wasn't eating all the can cat food and felt it was a waste of money and am now trying to get her to eat dry cat food.

Need help w/ following:
1) she paws at bedroom door starting around 4am. I no longer get up to let her in as I like my sleep. Suggestions how to get her to stop this behavior?

2) do I need to put can cat food in fridge if it isn't eaten or can I leave it out?

3) how do I get her to eat dry food. I have mixed it w/ soft package food but she still seems picky.

4) the cat litter seems to become like cement. what am I doing wrong?

Thanks all.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. Thank you for taking this senior kitty. We'd love to see pictures.

You may not be able to get her to eat dry food if she's been on wet all her life, and you don't necessarily want to do that anyway. The wet food is probably better for her. Pay attention to how much she's eating and put out only that amount two or three times a day. The unused part does need to be refrigerated. My cats actually like the cold food many don't. You can warm up her next meal by either putting her dish in a bowl of warm water, adding warm water to the food, or zapping it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds.

If you're using clumping litter it's doing exactly what it's supposed to. The cat pee is suspended in the litter and hardens into a ball or clump. You simply scoop out the clumps and discard---in the garbage, NOT in the toilet. When the litter starts getting low, just add more. You don't have to change it out entirely the way you do with non-clumping litter.

My cats sleep with me, so I don't have any suggestions about keeping them away from the bedroom door. Is she asking for food at that time or wanting to play? It might help if you feed her late in the evening just before you go to bed.

Keep us updated on how you and your new kitty are doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ptamom2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help. I don't think she is hungry as I try to have food there for her before we turn in. As for the food, she doesn't eat much of the can and the rest stays there and smells up the house. Kinda hard when you are not used to smells yet alone cat bothering you early in the am. I will try to post pics tomorrow.

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi....welcome to new cat ownership! I am a new-ish cat owner, too and I can understand the adjustment issues you are talking about. We got Calvin 3 months ago and then Hobbes 2 weeks ago. It was really nice of you to adopt your DH's grandfather's cat. There are many on his forum who have tons of experience with cats and will be able to give you solid advice - I have found tremendous help here.

There are a couple of things that come to mind from your posts that I will try to address from what I have learnt about cats so far:

Since the cat is older and perhaps was with your DH's granddad for a long time, she may be quite set in her ways (going to the bedroom in the morning, eating wet food etc.) and it may require some patience and work to break those in a way so that she does not develop any behavioral issues along the way.

When you say she is not hungry, how much is she eating that she is not hungry? She may be depressed (many do when their owners die) or not yet adjusted to her new surroundings and hence not eating. Our new kitten did not eat for 24 hours after coming and then for the 1st week was not eating too much. Give her 1 spoonful of wet food at a time and then more if she finishes. This will save you money since you can store the rest and you will get an idea of how much she eats and can feed her accordingly. Leave out some dry at night maybe, if she is really hungry and hence pawing at your door at 4am, she can fill up on that. Calvin comes to our bed sometimes between 4am and 6am (when we get up) and if it's before 6 am, we just continue to sleep and he does not bother us till our alarm goes off.

I understand that wet food can develop bacteria (the smell you are getting) if left out and so the idea is to have the cat eat and then pick up the dish. So it's not a good idea to mix it with the dry and leaving it out for long. Some wet food like friskies and Fancy feast are a little more smelly and hence great when cats are congested and I can understand them smelly up your house. Some dry food are tastier than others to cats. Mine will not touch Purina One or Science Diet but will eat Wellness, Acana or California Natural. Some petstores have samples - so ask and get a couple and see if she will eat one. However, remember that wet food is way better than dry and cats often develop health issues on only dry which may require medical expenses. So a little more expense on nutrition goes a long way to avoid vet expenses.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and bless you for taking in this kitty.

One thing I don't think anyone's mentioned is that because she's in a new environment with a new routine, new sounds, smells, people, she may not be eating as much as normal. Give her a bit of time to get acclimated and her appetite may improve. Also, don't switch her food too quickly. That can upset her tummy.

You might want to invest in a feliway diffuser to help her feel more comfortable and less stressed.

You can refrigerate canned food. Either put a lid on it, or put it inside a zipper bag. Don't leave it for more that about 3 or 4 days. I put the food down, let them eat and then pick it up. About 15 mins later, I offer it again. After that, no more.

You probably won't be able to get her to "like" dry food since she's eaten wet for so long. That's okay. Wet is actually better for her anyway.

ptamom2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help. I didn't know that canned cat food was better for her. I give her a packet of the Friskies packaged wet food and she will eat about half. I don't put that in the fridge. I don't think she is depressed but what do I know. Here is what I know about her:

She used to be a housecat but one they used to put her in the garage when I would visit to help w/ my allergies. One day, she decided she liked it there and has been there for the last couple of years. Trust me, she wasn't neglected. When I would visit, she wasn't really all that friendly to me so I would let her be. Now, she is extremely friendly to me and meows when she wants me to pet her. She still doesn't like to sit on my lap and once I have stopped petting her, will usually lay close by.

I use Tidy Cat litter and have been feeding her the Whiskas wet food that comes in a small bag. Which canned food do you recommend.

She really is a good cat and I praise God that my asthma hasn't flared up. I just tell my son (who has always wanted a cat) that Papa Pete is watching and helping us in this matter.

Oh, the biggest issue that I am having is brushing/combing her. I watched a video but can't seem to find the spot to grab her and calm her down. She doesn't mind if I pet her upper body but there is no way that I am allowed to comb her belly (what a big belly it is). Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the help.

ptamom2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you post pics?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of Tidy Cats litter are you using---the sand-like kind or the kind that looks like gravel? How deep is it in the box? How often do you scoop the litter and how often do you dump it, wash the box, and replace with new litter? Although it's normal for clumping litter to clump, if it sticks to the bottom of the box like cement, either it's not deep enough or you're not scooping it out often enough.

It's normal for her to only eat half the packet of wet food at one sitting. You can give her half of the pack in the morning and half at night, and leave a bowl with some dry food in it for her to nibble at during the day. At her age the majority of her diet should be wet food (to keep her aging kidneys happy), but having the dry food available might keep her from bugging you for food all the time. If she doesn't really like the dry food, she shouldn't overeat. Whiskas and Friskies dry foods are low-quality. If you're stuck with what's available at grocery stores, Purina Naturals or Purina ONE would be better. If you have access to pet stores and feed stores, there are many more very high-quality foods available. But really it all comes down to what the kitties will eat.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In reference to brushing, I have found that unless they are introduced to it at a very young age, they don't much care for it.

I can brush my long-haired Scaredy for awhile, but she can't take it too long. I have had ONE cat in my entire life that let me near his belly. Otherwise, I've taken my life into my hands in trying to brush there...

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just don't like to be brushed! I wouldn't worry about her tummy unless she's matting. If her fur looks normal, I'd let her manage that area. I'm big into choosing my battles!

No one's addressed the door apart from relating it to food and I thought I'd try to offer a few more ideas for you. I'm wondering if she has a favorite sleeping spot in your house. If not, try to create one and she may prefer it to trying to enter your room. I like Purr Pads (you can find them at PetSmart, etc.) and my cats like them too. You could also fold up an old towel if you're trying to keep it budget friendly. Whatever you use, put it someplace warm and a bit out of the way. I've got a Purr Pad on top of the dryer and one on top of a dresser. This is prize real estate around here. The one on the dresser is in a sunbeam for much of the day and they love that. You could also consider getting a cat tree or a window perch. You're really just looking to help the cat create a space that's all her own.

I think you're awesome for taking this kitty. I've worked in shelters and it breaks my heart when animals aren't wanted by the deceased's family members. They often are older and unadoptable. They end up euthanized or in a shelter for the rest of their lives. Super kudos to you for not letting that happen. I know Papa Pete appreciates you loving his kitty in his stead.

ptamom2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

What kind of Tidy Cats litter are you using---the sand-like kind or the kind that looks like gravel? How deep is it in the box? How often do you scoop the litter and how often do you dump it, wash the box, and replace with new litter? Although it's normal for clumping litter to clump, if it sticks to the bottom of the box like cement, either it's not deep enough or you're not scooping it out often enough.

It's normal for her to only eat half the packet of wet food at one sitting. You can give her half of the pack in the morning and half at night, and leave a bowl with some dry food in it for her to nibble at during the day. At her age the majority of her diet should be wet food (to keep her aging kidneys happy), but having the dry food available might keep her from bugging you for food all the time. If she doesn't really like the dry food, she shouldn't overeat. Whiskas and Friskies dry foods are low-quality. If you're stuck with what's available at grocery stores, Purina Naturals or Purina ONE would be better. If you have access to pet stores and feed stores, there are many more very high-quality foods available. But really it all comes down to what the kitties will eat.
I have the 9 lb Tidy Cat scoop. I try to scoop it out daily. We have only had her for 3 weeks and I haven't cleaned the box but change the old litter weekly, will wash the box this weekend. I think that I did not have enough cat litter in it (stupid me).

Living in SoCal, I am lucky that I have numerous pet stores close by. I bought a generic store dry food only because I didn't know what she would eat. I hate spending $$ on food that goes to waste. Bad owner, I know. Now that I know that she just nibbles on it, I will spend more $ as it will last longer and concentrate on getting the moist foods.

Thanks for being there.

ptamom2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

Some cats just don't like to be brushed! I wouldn't worry about her tummy unless she's matting. If her fur looks normal, I'd let her manage that area. I'm big into choosing my battles!

No one's addressed the door apart from relating it to food and I thought I'd try to offer a few more ideas for you. I'm wondering if she has a favorite sleeping spot in your house. If not, try to create one and she may prefer it to trying to enter your room. I like Purr Pads (you can find them at PetSmart, etc.) and my cats like them too. You could also fold up an old towel if you're trying to keep it budget friendly. Whatever you use, put it someplace warm and a bit out of the way. I've got a Purr Pad on top of the dryer and one on top of a dresser. This is prize real estate around here. The one on the dresser is in a sunbeam for much of the day and they love that. You could also consider getting a cat tree or a window perch. You're really just looking to help the cat create a space that's all her own.

I think you're awesome for taking this kitty. I've worked in shelters and it breaks my heart when animals aren't wanted by the deceased's family members. They often are older and unadoptable. They end up euthanized or in a shelter for the rest of their lives. Super kudos to you for not letting that happen. I know Papa Pete appreciates you loving his kitty in his stead.
When we took Jimma, we brought her old supplies with us. She has a basket w/ quilt and pillow in it. How condo has stairs but I haven't seen her camping out for the sun just yet (perhaps this summer). I will check out the Purr Pad. In the meantime, I just put a book under the door to keep it from rattling and from waking my son up.

Jimma is a beautiful cat and at least now my son can realize that having a cat also means being responsible for it. I actually make it change the litter box and he is getting better at feeding her. Now, he can say he has a cat and at least I haven't scarred him in that areana of life (lol).

Thanks for being there.

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some pet stores take back uneaten dry food - check with yours and see if they will take back what Jimma did not eat. Give her time to adjust and a ton of love - the initial days you invest in this relationship, I am sure the more joy you will get in return. Let the loving be in her terms, too: pet her when she comes to you.

There are a lot of different wet food brands you can choose from, depending on your budget. Cats so like a regular schedule and the sooner you are able to figure out what she will eat and how much, she will settle down faster and you will be able to enjoy her to the fullest!

I am sure this will be an enriching experiencefor your son.

ptamom2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion about unused cat food. I went out today and about IAMs for older cats. Wish me luck.

She seems to be settling ok. I haven't heard her pawing at my door for the last two nights but perhaps I was dead asleep. Sleeping in her basket and I try to feed her at 6:30 (am and pm).

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are used to be "opportunistic feeders," so they are likely to eat plenty if they get a chance. We have dry food down for ours, which they will nibble at all day (about 2 cups for 4 adult cats per day). In addition, we feed them a small wet meal morning and evening, less than 1/4 of a can for each of them. They all finish it up. We used to give them more, but there was always some left, so we cut it back.

You can wipe down the cat with a clean wet (not soaked) washcloth every day, and that will help keep the allergens down. Some say to use distilled water, but I can't see how that would have any effect on it.

I have two cats that will come running if they hear me get out the brush. And I have two that will run the other way. Who knows why?