New Foster Baby- Only 1.5 Weeks!

1sweetfairytale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I haven't posted for awhile.

I just got a new foster today. He is the youngest one I have had before. He is only about 1.5 weeks. So far, he has peed a couple times (no poop yet) and has eaten a little. However, he is having trouble latching on. I cut the bottle tip a little bigger so the flow was easier and am doing all the stuff with keeping them upright, etc.

I fed him about 5:30pm, then again about 8pm. He didn't eat for long, but he latched on well twice and drank for about 5 seconds each. He's now under a thick fleece blanket sound asleep next to me as I type this.

I'm still worried he isn't getting enough. Any suggestions/support/etc?

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello 1sweetfaitytale, thank you for fostering this kitty. He's a cutie :lovecat:

I've no experience in this area but hopefully there will be help along soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much does the kitten weigh?

A kitten is fed based on weight. It needs 8mLs of formula for each ounce of weight.

The kitten needs to gain 6-10 grams per day, and needs a heating pad or hot water bottle or rice sock for warmth.

A kitten this age needs to be fed at least every 2 hours.

You may find it easier to feed the kitten with a 1 or 2 mL syringe. This way you have more control over what the kitten gets. You put drops in the side of the kitten's mouth, allowing time for the kitten to swallow and breathe. 5 seconds on the bottle is not enough.

Thank you for fostering! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1sweetfairytale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much does the kitten weigh?

You may find it easier to feed the kitten with a 1 or 2 mL syringe. This way you have more control over what the kitten gets. You put drops in the side of the kitten's mouth, allowing time for the kitten to swallow and breathe. 5 seconds on the bottle is not enough.

Thank you for fostering! :)
Oh no, just to be clear I know it is not enough but since he is still learning how to latch I was happy he may be starting to catch on.

I think I may do the syringe to make sure he gets what he needs, then let him try the bottle.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he doesnt take much, try with giving food more often. So it will be little but often, giving a good totale.

If its summerhot at your place, it may be enough with a nice blanket. Or even some cooling down!

But otherwise, as someone mentioned, a blanket isnt enough for them to keep the body temp. An active warming source is necessary.

1sweetfairytale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just finished a 4am EST feeding.

He has a oatmeal filled sock I keep reheating thar he curls up on. (It's quite cute).

I'm def trying to feed him more if he's even very little so he still has something.

When he latches, he gets a few good suckles in. He just seems to fight me me so hard. He paws/pushes me away, mews. I just can't tell if he doesn't want food or his little brain doesn't understand.

I don't squeeze the bottle except to make the first drop or 2 come out, I keep him as level as I can, and I even gently pat his little back after bc he works himself up so I don't want any gas bubbles. And of course I stimulate to go potty (still no poop) but he pees a lot!

I think he is okay though because he tries to crawl and cuddles up with me. He even made little purring sounds.

Thank you for your help. Please continue to advise. I just want to do the best for him that I can! :)

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feeding more frequently is a great idea, as is using the syringe.

His "fighting" may be what is an instinctive move for kittens - they paw at mama's belly to stimulate milk flow. In adult cats we call if "making biscuits" or "Num numming."

Maybe you can lay him on a stuffed toy (they make them especially for this purpose; one even has a heartbeat). It may help calm him down.

Last edited:

1sweetfairytale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His "fighting" may be what is an instinctive move for kittens - they paw at mama's belly to stimulate milk flow. In adult cats we call if "making biscuits" or "Num numming."
I've seen plenty of happy biscuit making. :) As we've continued figuring out the best way to fill his tummy today, I've noticed he gets so worked up that he frantically paws, but the second he's getting a good flow of milk, he instantly quiets down, closes his eyes, and drinks until he wants to stop for a moment.

He tends to want to eat on and off for a half hour to 45 minutes. Then he's good for awhile.

He also finally got to the point today where he finished eating, then rolled over and just purred and tried to groom as I gently brushed him with a toothbrush. He really is too, too cute.

Oh, and he pooped. A LOT. Always good to know his system is starting to work, but maaaan does he get mad when I have to clean him up!
18620898_10212957085499113_619303657434205551_o.jpg

1sweetfairytale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One more picture, just to show how tiny he is.

And there is an oatmeal filled sock next to him for warmth. he climbs all over it and stretches out alongside it.
18670877_10212954265508615_4560305282050954188_n.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's just precious! :lovecat2:

Is his one eye still opening up? It looks half open in the picture.

1sweetfairytale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's just precious! :lovecat2:

Is his one eye still opening up? It looks half open in the picture.
It is a tiny bit goopy, but I am using a warm wet cotton ball to gently wipe it out. The shelter staff know so I may give him another day, then ask for a little ointment to put on it. Tonight I fed him, then put him in his blanket with hot sock and he purred away and let me wash the goop off. It has to feel better.

I think he's doing okay, I just get so worried over all the little things that could go wrong. I think especially with his difficulty eating, I have this fear he will aspirate. Thanks so much for letting me be a nervous mom, everyone. I really do appreciate it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to get terramycin since the eye is partially closed. It will clear it in a jiffy.

You are doing a super job! :)

1sweetfairytale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's eating better, so sweet and loving, just a total purr machine.

He's gotten more vocal though. Like even after i feed him, put him next to a hot sock, and make him potty (still only pooped once but I guess that's okay?)

Is this just kitten being kitten or is there something I'm missing?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's just talking to you! So sweet. I see a little milk face! :redheartpump:

You can add a drop or two of olive oil to his formula. It will help him to poop eventually.

1sweetfairytale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find myself thinking about poop more than I ever want to. ;) He pooped last night, finally.

Then tonight he only drank about a third of what he normally does and while playful (he doesn't move much yet, being only a couple weeks) he was really quiet in my lap. A bit later he got up and started pooping. He missed the pad and went on the rug, so I ran to the kitchen to grab paper towels and rug cleaner. I heard him meowing sooo loudly, and when I got back there was a tiny drop (if that) of blood in his poop. This hasn't happened before, and it was only the one drop.

I cleaned him up and he's in my lap purring away with a hot sock, and I'll try seeing if he's hungry in about half an hour. I'm going to let his tummy settle a bit but he def seems to feel better!

Should I add any vegetable oil (like a few drops) to his food, or leave it as it? I know powdered formula can be rough on the tummy so I wasn't sure if that would help move things more gently, or if I should just leave it be? His poop was a little solid with more liquid overall so it may do more harm than good.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had mentioned in my post to you Wednesday evening to add a drop or two of olive oil to his formula. Vegetable oil also works. It keeps the poop soft enough to pass easily.

Powdered formula is not hard on the stomach, but can cause some kittens constipation.

Kitten poop should be toothpaste consistency. It's hard poop from constipation that will cause irritation and blood.

It's good he pooped tonight. I hope he eats well again for you.