New foods, new questions.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I decided to stop feeding my cats 4health. After looking it up, I have come to learn that it's only an above average cat food. Lately, for some reason, the 4health doesn't seem to be really doing well with them either. SO, I took my butt to the pet store and we're now trying a few new foods instead. Merrick's Purrfect Bistro wet food and Tiki Cat wet food both have pretty good reviews online, but I bought True Source dry food to mix with it. I came to learn True Source is made by the same company as 4health and that it's similar but I can't find any reviews for it online.

Does anyone know anything about True Source?

Also what opinions do you all have on Fancy Feast Broth? I started giving that to them as a treat over their food every so often, though I put it on one of Isabel's meals every night to try and make sure she's eating the right amount of food given her age.

I trust Petsense and all, the girls who work there are very kind and I don't believe they'd sell me BAD food, but I'm feeling curious since I can't find any reviews on True Source.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yeah, but I didn't see anything about True Source there. Unless I missed it somehow? D:

P.S Your cat has such an adorable face!!
Unless maybe someone who have given True Source to their cats may be able to shed light on it. Too many brands out there and hard to get a perfect choice.

P.S. Thank you :hearthrob: :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Unless maybe someone who have given True Source to their cats may be able to shed light on it. Too many brands out there and hard to get a perfect choice.

P.S. Thank you :hearthrob: :redheartpump:
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. If no one does, I may just look into finding another dry food for them instead.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. If no one does, I may just look into finding another dry food for them instead.
But sometimes getting the best may be good but some cats will not eat them. So I guess as long as the ingredients are ok meaning what’s supposed to be in there is in and not supposed to be in there is out and give and take a little and most importantly your cats will eat them.

To be more sure, stick to the more popular brands and for those unsure brands, read the label well.

Wet food is still best for cats.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we plan on still giving them wet food. The problem is that buying JUST the wet food is expensive so it has to be mixed with the dry or we'd be spending A LOT of money on cat food =/ and for four cats, we need to have quite a bit.

The wet food isn't really an issue though. My cats pretty much will eat anything, save for open nature, for whatever reason. Not sure why, but...I won't push it. They don't like it XD.

They do love Merrick's it seems, though. so that's a win right there!

My biggest issue with True Source is only that I can't seem to find anything about it online.

I can't really find accurate reviews on Fancy Feast Broths either -- but that I'm not to worried about since they don't get it that often

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Small Update:

We just got the Tiki cat food. It would seem our cats LOVE it, so I think between that and the Merrick's, we're good in terms of wet food. Now it seems like just a challenge to find a healthy dry food to mix it with. I was hoping someone would know something about True Source.

I know when we adopted Jasper, they gave us a bag of it for free and I was told that was what he'd been eating. His coat has always been beautiful, and was even when we adopted him so I'm -hoping- the food is good and I'm going to keep looking into it.

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are changing Suki over to a better kibble from the one we got from the shelter. After ignoring it for 3 days she is chowing right down on the mixture of both. We have tried a couple of times with wet and she will just ignore it. I think it just takes 3 days for her to get used to anything. We also changed to using a smaller flatter bowl. She seems to like it better.
And no Suki isn't spoiled :yess:
j

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not that I am helping you much, but it would appear True Source is a private brand by Petsense (see link below). Could be why you can't find much information about it. But, you can look up other dry foods and compare the ingredients, as a starting point. First, do a search on 'best dry cat foods' and see what the links (and, there will be more than one) offer.
Petsense Introduces Private Label Pet Food

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Not that I am helping you much, but it would appear True Source is a private brand by Petsense (see link below). Could be why you can't find much information about it. But, you can look up other dry foods and compare the ingredients, as a starting point. First, do a search on 'best dry cat foods' and see what the links (and, there will be more than one) offer.
Petsense Introduces Private Label Pet Food
It is! Yeah. The girl also told me that they are owned by Tractor Supply and that True Source is going to be most like 4health. My first reaction was "well, damn" but then I thought maybe it's better, because I think the protein count is higher and it's not the SAME food obviously.

The thing is, for the past few months, my cats have all been having on and off tummy issues. They've been to the vet, they are fine. But I can't help but feel like maybe it's the 4health being not good for their bellies. This past week when we had bad weather, all I could get them was Fancy Feast, very FEW tummy issues were had. It's like the second I swapped them off 4health, they have been fine. Sam's still had a little loose poops, but not as bad. Honestly I'm kind of upset. I went years buying this food thinking it was really healthy for them and continued buying it, because the grain free aspect helped Isabel with her skin condition but now I'm kind of feeling thrown through a loop finding out it's only slightly better than the Fancy Feast they actually enjoy

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I did a search here to see if anyone had ever mentioned True Source and found one thread where someone asked if anyone had tried it and no one said they had, but that was from a couple years ago. Perhaps if you started a new thread and asked that in the Subject line?

Also, as far as the FF Broths go, as long as no one has tummy issues from it, I'd say you're good to go as long as you are simply using it as a topper for foods. It's a good way to get extra moisture into your cats, but it does have a lot of thickeners in it (surprisingly!) for those 20 calories.